Why do you share markups? Giveaway

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
From waypoints to trails, for safety or just showing where camp is, there are hundreds of reasons to share markups in the onX Hunt app.
But we want to hear WHY you share markups or HOW sharing a markup has helped you on a hunt.
Let us know in this thread and we'll be picking 3 of our favorite answers to receive an Elite membership (all 50 states) free for 3 years!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t qualify but I share waypoints frequently with hunt buddies so they know EXACTLY where I’m talking about. Much better than “west of the white knob by the quakie pocket”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shared waypoints to a friend who was new to Montana and needed more precise information to better show him the exact habitat I was trying to describe. That way, instead of just giving him a spot, I let him learn what made that spot unique without me needing to be there. I think it’s an important way to help teach new generations of hunters about all aspects of the hunt, not just harvesting a critter. Dad did it for me with a paper map, new generations will do it with gps units and phones.

JohnnyB

WKR
I share waypoints with hunting buddies as part of my safety planning. Yesterday I was able to send a message via inReach to a hunting buddy about a situation I was in and he was able to drive three hours to help me out. No chance he finds me without the shared waypoint to reference.

Having an accurate waypoint last night would have helped my wife and brother in law find me after I swamped my canoe duck hunting. I had sent a Google maps pin and found out when it was received by my wife it was a half mile off from where I actually was

IF I could have gotten my dad to subscribe to OnX for our ND muley trip last week and share waypoints I would have come over a ridge in EXACTLY the right spot instead of 50 yards north and been able to see and likely shoot a bedded buck instead of him being JUST out of view and blowing out as I gave up on spotting him and started walking away.

OP
onX Hunt

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Great stories so far! We'll be taking more through the weekend and pick winners at the beginning of next week.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I hunt alone so my markups have always been for me to go back and reference season to season.

However, this year I drew a CO sheep tag and found myself collaborating with the other tag holders. I had a ewe tag and really enjoyed sharing locations where I had spotted rams in hopes that the other guys would be able to have some success on a tough to draw hunt. I still prefer to hunt alone, but this added a level of comraderie that I usually don't have in my hunts.

hikenhunt

WKR
I most recently shared a waypoint with my brother and buddy this last weekend so they could find the spot in the dark that I was going to take him to for opening deer morning, but my family got sick and I had to tend to them. They promptly filled their tags within 45 minutes of shooting light from the exact waypoint I sent. I joined them later and spent two and a half days hunting without filling my tag...

This fall I hunted with a guy for the first time. We met at a BHA event and then in person to shoot bows or have a beer a couple times after. I had e-scouted a good spot to access a unit we had drawn tags for together. But, as he had a lot more time to hunt than me, he left a couple days early to scout and was going to stay much longer. There was one place in particular I wanted to start, a 'public' ranch road, park the truck at some point and then take UTV's further in. In speaking with folks, I gathered the road wasn't officially public, but there was an easement or something that allowed travel and parking of vehicles. People who had been there before told me the ranch was particular about staying on the road and parking at certain spots. So, I drew a line to show the route through the ranch and where to park, and where we'd be allowed to go with our UTV's. He got in two glassing sessions before I got there and we managed to kill my first bull on day 4. Without the OnX I'm not sure if he would have found where to go, or believed he could continue through the very private looking ranch.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of reasons...everything from letting someone know where you are, to showing someone how to get into an area without blowing it out, to showing your hunting partner a new spot that neither of you knew was there. One of my favorite shares was from last year, when a buddy was turkey hunting a large public tract for the 1st time, but one that I had hunted for several years(He'd only turkey hunted a couple of years, prior). He had a turkey that was giving him the run around, but was going in an overall general direction. He was able to get enough service to text me at work and ask how he needed to get around on the bird. I was able to send him around the bird on a big loop, via waypoints, and he ended up killing him exactly where I had sent him.
This year, same buddy on an elk hunt...we had split up into groups. He glassed two bulls fighting but couldn't get to them in time before dark. He knew I was closer to them and was able to send me straight to them. I'd never known they were there, otherwise.

My primary use sharing is pins for Onx is safety. I solo hunt deep in the swamps of Florida a lot and general rule is few hundred yards from the check station I lose cell service. Before Onx I would print out a google map for my wife with this is where I will park this is where my stand should be. Now I text pins to my neighbor throughout the hunt as I go in an out of service and he knows where I am hunting or at worse where the last place I dropped a pin that I had service for. Along with all of the pre-planned target pins. My secondary use for sharing pins is to pass on sightings, stand locations, parking locations, or meeting locations to my brothers and cousins I hunt with regularly.

There are 3 of us that share waypoints between ourselves.
We hunt together when we can but freely share knowledge.
Most of what we share is scouting Intel, whether that is cyber scouting or boots on the ground. since we invest a lot of effort into glassing most of the points we share are prime glassing locations.
It is super helpful to have the point and even the track now to get to a specific spot in the middle of the mountains in the dark.

colersu22

WKR
Me and two of my buddies share points for everything from trail cams to hunting areas both in and out of state. We don’t live super close and with everyone’s busy schedule it’s hard to meet up to plan out of state hunts so we use texts and dropping pins for areas to E-scout for out of state hunts mainly.

twall13

WKR
It was nice last year when I had a bull down on a solo elk hunt. I shared a. OnX waypoint with my brother and he drove out and hiked right to me to help me pack meat. That would have been much more difficult with paper maps... I've also used it to have my brothers collect my trail cameras after I broke my foot and couldn't get out myself. Many uses for that handy feature.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Outstanding thanks pm inbound. I just got back into the land of the civilized. Itching to head back out to less civilization already. You guys definitely make that a lot easier.