Why Doesn't Garmin...

OP
Brandon Pattison
I have been looking at the SPOT but from what I can tell, there is NO incoming messages. What is the point if you cannot know if everything at home is okay?

littlebuf

Banned
i think the "point" of SPOT and others like it are to get your ass out of a sling when things go wrong and your by yourself.everything else is just bells and whistles,and really in my opinion unnecessary.one of the best parts of being out there alone is the solitude.i dont need to text in the mountains.that stupid phone blows up all year long as it is

7mag.

WKR
Yeah, I agree. It would be nice to be able to find out if something went wrong at home, but my wife would abuse it, and I would be getting stupid random questions all day long. Like I do now.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Haha. That is funny. I just don't want to be 10 days out if my family was hurt or worse.

Yeah, I agree. It would be nice to be able to find out if something went wrong at home, but my wife would abuse it, and I would be getting stupid random questions all day long. Like I do now.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something else to consider is, in the event you were seriously injured in the field, wouldn't you want confirmation that your message got thru and help was on the way? Backcountry rescues can require a fair amount of coordination, and having two way communication potentially makes a bad situation a little bit easier...
Course we tend to be more remote in AK, but this is why we carry a sat phone.

littlebuf

Banned
what ever did we do before gps.i guess no one went in the backcountry.technology can be great but it can also be a crutch.by that i guess i mean people can rely way to much on the comfort of having it instead of building the skills they need to rely on them selves.thus potentially getting them selves in more trouble than there cut out for or would have if they couldnt still feel connected via texting. i carry a spot but its for my wifes piece of mind.before my family bought it for me i never had one and probably never would have,right or wrong i guess thats just my feelings on it.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I have extensive bushcraft skills. I am also wanting to upgrade my GPS which is about 15 years old. I feel that if you cannot use a map and compass then you shouldn't own a GPS. My Magellan 300 does have mapping but I lost the CD and it doesn't work on Macs. So I use it mostly for UTM grids to mark my location on the map and turn it off. My batteries usually last all season. I just turn it on, get a grid coordinate and shut her off. If my next GPS lasts another 15 years I want the latest and greatest and I am wondering if any of the new software/hardware are compatible. If I can bring a GPS with a decent camera then I can leave my camera at home thus consolidating my gear and carrying less. I have 2 young children and 1 on the way. One of my buddies with 2 young children just died on Easter day and I look at things a bit differently now. It isn't about me needing to keep abreast with current events, just saying.

Because of spot an sat phones and other technology many more people go into backcountry. I have the spot, and for some hunts I rent a sat phone. Having these tools available make hunting more enjoyable for me. Mike

Curtis C

WKR
In Reach is developed and built by Delorme. The service is also provided by Delorme. I doubt you will ever see In Reach working with Garmin.

As for SPOT there are probably still some contract issues that prevent SPOT from trying to work with Garmin. Maybe someday.

C

B

bearguide

some spot you fly into, would take weeks to walk out of, even if you were healthy. so for some locations it is nice to have a sat phone

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord