Why every liberal millennial.......

Billinsd

WKR
My point about pulling kids like yours out of the school system is that the kids that are left behind won't have the benefit of interacting with your kids, getting help from them if they need it, providing help to them if your kids need it, being on teams with them, etc. And some kids who are struggling just really need good examples in their life. The public school kids will probably not have the chance to be friends with your kids and come over to stay at your house and observe the example you and your wife set for your kids. Those opportunities for interaction and observation are pretty important for many kids who don't have as good a situation at home as you do.
This is correct. Our family helps disadvantaged kids in my son's scout troop. I find it extremely rewarding. Also my son gets to see how the other half lives and how good he's got it. He also gets to learn in his charter public school in a poor area how to handle kids with problems from broken homes.
These are the things I think about, and I like the idea that we're supporting the local school and the local community through our participation.
I've helped by volunteering at my kid's schools, where I'm often helping some left behind kids, so the teacher can focus on the rest of the class. It was sad and shocking to find out the disruptive and/or left behind kids parent's were dirtbags.
Really, I think the mindset of homeschool kids comes down to their parent's mindset. Most I've known are the children of helicopter parents who have an opinion of themselves that isn't supported by fact. Those parents are so sure they know better than anyone else and especially all those public school teachers, and that mindset rubs off on their kids. Their kids grow up not trusting anyone, being too dependent on their parents, and not being resourceful enough as a result. Again, this is what I have observed with my own eyes. Most of the home school kids I worked with, ended up living with their parents well into their 20's, with no real goal or motivation to leave home.
That's fascinating, because my wife and I are helicopter parents. I'm fully aware of this and do my best not to be a helicopter parent. What you are saying above is about me. However, I think extremely logically and critically, too much so. I try my best not too knock the teachers and school system, because I know it's not good for my kids. Fortunately my kids are growing up to be much better people than I am.
I think so long as the parents don't spend all their time criticizing public schools, and frankly everything else around them, the kids will be fine. However it's been my experience so far, that the majority of home school parents I know are a bit "odd" in terms of their view of things, and usually out in the extremes politically and socially.
I don't spend all my time criticizing the school system and teachers, because I know it hurts my kids, and my wife and my teenage daughter won't let me. A lot of my kids teachers have been excellent. The school system, however is corrupt. Fascinating that you wrote this and I am one of the parents you are talking about, however I'm able to curb my tendencies that could hurt my kids and my wife won't let me even if I tried. I'm a helicopter parent that wants my kids to get exposure to different things and grow up extremely independent, successful, and most important happy or content with themselves. I don't want them to be just like me, I want them to be much better!!

Billinsd

WKR
And my kids are learning how to deal with super controlling, helicopter parents whose kids can be extremely bossy, sassy, and pushy too at the public school, boy scouts and Taekwondo.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I posted my actual observations, based on actual experience with actual people. That's quite a bit different than making assumptions about groups of people.

Ya, you're expressing what you've observed and experienced, and then condemned (in this very thread) those that have differing views and experiences from yours.

I don't make assumptions.........like I said earlier, I just take what they give or show me to formulate from my experiences (expressing what I've observed and experienced). And I'm not condemning your views.......I'm condemning your hypocrisy.

It's like those that condemn what the officer did to Floyd and demanding justice, and then riot and loot but by all means won't want anyone questioning their actions.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
As a millennial construction contractor, I love hearing about how much my generation sucks. Less competition. Can’t stop time, and a lot of the boomers and Gen-x’ers are retiring, shutting down, or simply struggling to keep up
with the pace of the market and utilizing the available work force.

Immense opportunity out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you. And you are right, the future certainly looks bright for young tradesmen, especially if they can handle the self employed life.
We are already feeling the affects of those Baby Boomers aging out here in south central MO. I have to wait quite some time for subcontractors, and it will only get worse, barring the unexpected. Almost all the subs I use, as well as my competition, are older than me. We are certainly not replacing the ones retiring one for one.
I'm not getting too involved in the school arguments, but I was home schooled K-2, private Christian school 3-8, and took a correspondence high school equivalent course while I was working in my late teens. I'm married, have friends, and have been self employed for 7 years, so I think something worked? I do get a kick out of telling people that I'm 31 and have 15 years of construction experience.
I think people home school or use private schools for a lot of reasons. Some situations work well, some don't. Parents have to be intentional about filling the gaps in their kids lives, whatever they are.
And yes, those of us home schooling or using private schools pay twice for education. I still gladly do it!

Ya, you're expressing what you've observed and experienced, and then condemned (in this very thread) those that have differing views and experiences from yours.

I don't make assumptions.........like I said earlier, I just take what they give or show me to formulate from my experiences (expressing what I've observed and experienced). And I'm not condemning your views.......I'm condemning your hypocrisy.

It's like those that condemn what the officer did to Floyd and demanding justice, and then riot and loot but by all means won't want anyone questioning their actions.
Please share where I condemned anyone, keeping in mind that not agreeing with people is not the same as condemning them, although some very sensitive people may take it that way.

Here you go. Cheers Bill
So it's not about control? LOL Let's not kid ourselves. Everyone knows it is.

That's not a condemnation. Even home school parents will tell you they do it so they can have more control.

Try again.

btw, if someone feels they are being condemned because someone doesn't agree with them, then that's being a bit overly sensitive, don't you think?

That's not a condemnation. Even home school parents will tell you they do it so they can have more control.

Try again.

btw, if someone feels they are being condemned because someone doesn't agree with them, then that's being a bit overly sensitive, don't you think?

My friend, you speak of control? You feel that just because a teacher is teaching a very young child that is not their own that they do not have a bias or agenda. Please don’t act like we all didn’t go through public school and experience a form of control that didn’t come from our parents.

My friend, you speak of control? You feel that just because a teacher is teaching a very young child that is not their own that they do not have a bias or agenda. Please don’t act like we all didn’t go through public school and experience a form of control that didn’t come from our parents.
That has nothing to do with what I said. The comment was that home schooling was about control. I have no idea why someone would interpret that as something bad. Isn't that what home school parents want? Control over the information their kids are getting and their environment? Why would someone say that's condemning language? It's just a fact. Home school parents have told me so themselves. Good grief some of you folks are just looking for an excuse to be offended.

And buddy I know a lot of public school teachers and I can't think of one of them that goes to work with some sort of nefarious agenda. Give me a break. I'm sorry you had such bad experiences in your public schools. I adored my public school teachers. Compared to my family, they were the most normal people I knew.

That has nothing to do with what I said. The comment was that home schooling was about control. I have no idea why someone would interpret that as something bad. Isn't that what home school parents want? Control over the information their kids are getting and their environment? Why would someone say that's condemning language? It's just a fact. Home school parents have told me so themselves. Good grief some of you folks are just looking for an excuse to be offended.

I feel we are pretty level headed. Are you honestly telling me that when you say home school parents just want control you are not insinuating a negative connotation behind it?

And buddy I know a lot of public school teachers and I can't think of one of them that goes to work with some sort of nefarious agenda. Give me a break. I'm sorry you had such bad experiences in your public schools. I adored my public school teachers. Compared to my family, they were the most normal people I knew.

Ya man, we seriously did have a much different experience. I’ll give you that.

Did you grow up on the set of little house on the prairie?

LOL anything but. It was the fact that I grew up in shithole circumstances that made me adore my public school teachers for the same reason the kids in our town that are living in shithole circumstances, adore my wife. I think you missed that.

Ok so you had a shitty household is what I’m hearing, public schools helped you out. I was the exact opposite.

Billinsd

WKR

That's not a condemnation.
I'm sure that's true with some parents. Lots of other reasons, though, like corrupt school system, religious reasons, etc. Bill