Why Guys Quit on the Mountain

OP
trophyhill
Oh hell yes! This might be my favorite post on this thread. All of the ones about why people quit have been very interesting to me. But this one is about why we DON’T quit. And my reason is the same.

To me it’s like my annual checkup. My physical checkup. Spiritual checkup. Checkup on my list of priorities in life. But to a large degree it’s my test of what I am capable of. A measure of my will power. How I go about setting a goal and giving a rock solid 100% effort to achieve it. And it does influence my life the rest of the year.

At work I think about it nearly every day. I never miss a day of work. I’m on time. I stay positive even when things are going to shit and I find solutions to problems. I give it my all and when there’s an hour to go and other are starting to break down I take pride in finishing strong.

And it pays off!

My employers like that I’m dependable. They like that I’m organized and no job intimidates me. So when I tell other guys I’m taking 3 weeks off and they say there’s no freaking way they’ll let you do that I just smile and say watch this. They’ve always approved it. If they didn’t… I’d start looking for a new position before I left and hunt between jobs!

It’s a year round cycle for sure. A way of life. Everyday hurdles in life prepare me for life on the mountain and elk hunting assures me I can handle anything that comes my way the other 49 weeks of the year.

It also makes me feel like I’m staying young. At 57 I outhunt everyone in camp. I feel like if there comes a day when I can’t hunt elk I’ll finally say well…. I guess I’m old. I leave in exactly one week. I better start working out. 😂
^^^^^ great post!

Fullfan

WKR
I could not imagine quitting. I'm 57 and my son is 29, we just spent 15 days chasing Idaho bulls. Covered 174 miles in the 15 days. Both of us were exhausted but got out of the rack and hit it hard every day.

I came real close to quitting this year, it was about day 7-8 of our 12 day hunt, we changed areas again, picked up a few more supplies and got way back, about 30 miles in via roads, no cell and we find out NO BEER!

Do you know how shitty it is to pack an elk out for two days, get back to the truck at midnight, and not one flipping beer in the cooler between the two of us?

Gerbdog

WKR
I tell myself and everyone i know that if i dont kill an elk this year we wont make it through the winter... obviously not true, and everyone just laughs at me but... hey its those mental games you play with yourself that keep you hammering.

The physical part i think im pretty well over. It's gonna suck, every. single. freaking. mile. but you gotta embrace the suck.

The mental part is the hardest. Discouraging encounters, elk that bugle once and ghost away, or... and this is the worst part for me.... just no talking elk, and im not finding them either. Sure, there is fresh sign everywhere but... something about not being able to figure out their pattern even though i can see plain as day they were just here last night.... its mentally discouraging.

Jakerex

WKR
I don’t think I’ve ever quit, but I’ve gone home a day or two early just because I was done, not into it anymore at that given time. I don’t think that makes me less cool than you that “never quit.”

There are plenty of days I spend hunting, and also plenty at camp, cooking, relaxing, sleeping, having a beer, etc. instead of hunting. Usually…….always because I really don’t give an F if I kill an elk, deer, or whatever. This is vacation time for me, so I’m gonna hunt, relax, and enjoy myself.

Too many people worry about “killing” anymore, and not the hunt or time with friends and family. Too worried about having a picture of a “kill” to post on the internet or social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arctichc

FNG
This guy thinks he knows why. And i have to agree!

Uh....he forgets to discuss the outfitter roll and guide roll.

Communication with the outfitter of your choosing is infinitely important. What the expectations are. What the hunt is.

Secondly a guide worth his salt will be able to difuse alot of the stress. Mostly through discussion and humor. Also with work rest Cycles during the hunt.

Guides are way more then just someone to put someone else on a animal..

Some folks are truly unbearable. Even that can be overcome.

What he says is mostly true on a personal level. Recognizing that stuff within yourself is a great quality. Idk anyone who can do that at all times. Part of a guides job is to recognize stuff and address those things without hitting them head on. Dozens of ways to go about it.

Had a hunter few years ago. having a rough time. Nothing was working. It had snowed and was chilly. That night sky was clear as bell, stars dancing on the snow kind of night. I just sat down on a log, told hunter I needed a minute to decompress and plan next move. Let the guy in sky work out whatever was chewing on the hunter. After awhile, just soaking in the night sky this guy broke down. Once we stopped and set down not one word was said.

Just me letting him know I was stressed also and needed a minute to just be. That was enough. Big guy took over.

Point is, sometimes it's almost impossible to see the forest through the trees. It's good to get subtle nudges from others once in awhile. Wether that's a guide or buddy or pet. Or whatever.
Well said! Sometimes people just need a little reassurance when in a new situation. I'd like to say everyone should be strong enought to do this on their own but not the case. Great write up!

Arctichc

FNG
I don’t think I’ve ever quit, but I’ve gone home a day or two early just because I was done, not into it anymore at that given time. I don’t think that makes me less cool than you that “never quit.”

There are plenty of days I spend hunting, and also plenty at camp, cooking, relaxing, sleeping, having a beer, etc. instead of hunting. Usually…….always because I really don’t give an F if I kill an elk, deer, or whatever. This is vacation time for me, so I’m gonna hunt, relax, and enjoy myself.

Too many people worry about “killing” anymore, and not the hunt or time with friends and family. Too worried about having a picture of a “kill” to post on the internet or social media.

I agree with you on this. Calling it a bit early to relax a afternoon or day (if you have that luxury of extra time) I think can be huge. Rejuvinates your drive and your physical well being.
"Too many people worry about “killing” anymore, and not the hunt or time with friends and family. Too worried about having a picture of a “kill” to post on the internet or social media."
I think this is extremly accurate too! To me its more about the experience and time with friends and family. I too enjoy the camp life as well as the hunt! Well said!

Arctichc

FNG
I tell myself and everyone i know that if i dont kill an elk this year we wont make it through the winter... obviously not true, and everyone just laughs at me but... hey its those mental games you play with yourself that keep you hammering.

The physical part i think im pretty well over. It's gonna suck, every. single. freaking. mile. but you gotta embrace the suck.

The mental part is the hardest. Discouraging encounters, elk that bugle once and ghost away, or... and this is the worst part for me.... just no talking elk, and im not finding them either. Sure, there is fresh sign everywhere but... something about not being able to figure out their pattern even though i can see plain as day they were just here last night.... its mentally discouraging.
I can relate to this!

Rich M

WKR
The hunting trip is my vacation for the year. I'm gonna get more rest and relaxation, bumble around in the woods, take naps, explore, enjoy. Planned a 10-day trip with 2 travel days on each side of it. That's where you'll find me. I might not hunt as hard as the young energizer bunnies out there but I'll be hunting. If I shoot something on day 1, there are still 9 days left to enjoy. Might go home a day or two early, but most likely gonna use the extra time to explore the area, enjoy the views, watch the other guys hunt - fun stuff.

Always chuckle when they say "the mental game". Have no idea where that came from or why it stuck. Either you want to be there hunting or you don't. Aint no "mental" to it at all.

If you're out there and fretting about work, hot momma, the kids, etc. Then you really do need to be at home or work or wherever. BTDT and it aint fun to be stressing when you should be having fun. Back out til you get to a better place in life, then re-engage. Don't force it.

OP
trophyhill

Man I would hear an occasional lazy bugle this year and not much else. Strange year in the Gila where I was hunting for sure. Had a couple bulls scream at the tent a couple nights where I’d expect to hear non stop screaming at night.

OP
trophyhill
I agree with you on this. Calling it a bit early to relax a afternoon or day (if you have that luxury of extra time) I think can be huge. Rejuvinates your drive and your physical well being.
"Too many people worry about “killing” anymore, and not the hunt or time with friends and family. Too worried about having a picture of a “kill” to post on the internet or social media."
I think this is extremly accurate too! To me its more about the experience and time with friends and family. I too enjoy the camp life as well as the hunt! Well said!
Although I am all about the experience so I become better the next time around, I still want that meat in my freezer. As for the experience, we as hunters and in my case bowhunting mostly, I have seen things that few outside the hunting community will ever get a chance to see first hand. Most recently a bear following us out of the wilderness area smelling meat filled packs. We didn’t see him because it was pitch black out, but we heard his vocalizations really close. You talk about some added motivation to get back to camp after packing for a couple hours, I was rejuvenated instantly lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Always chuckle when they say "the mental game". Have no idea where that came from or why it stuck. Either you want to be there hunting or you don't. Aint no "mental" to it at all.
Where does "want" come from? Pretty sure that's mental. And what happens when you "don't" want to be out there? When you force yourself to keep going when you don't want to.......that's mental too.

bsnedeker

WKR
This thread is perfect evidence that there are "hunters" and there are "guys who hunt".

"Guys who hunt" are out there to relax and enjoy time with their friends, and are excited if they get something but don't really care too much about success. The guys in this thread saying hunting is their vacation are in this camp. These are the guys who are most likely to quit.

"Hunters" are out there to be successful and care VERY MUCH if they are not. They are not out in the woods to relax. They are out there to grind and work and get it done. These are the guys who generally don't quit.

There is nothing wrong with either of those mentalities, but I think it's very hard for these two groups to understand each other.

In my group of dudes we are all "hunters", with one exception....he's a "guy who hunts". He's the one bringing beer to camp, starting campfires and staying up until 11-12 PM drinking, rolls out of bed well after sunup, wanders around the woods, and comes back to camp. In a week long hunt he's usually heading back into town for a burger 2-3 times minimum. He's a great guy, but he honestly does not understand AT ALL how important hunting, and being successful, is to the rest of us. He gets a little bummed when I tell him that I won't hunt archery elk with him for the simple reason that he decreases my odds of being successful (he adds noise, and movement, he can't call, and he can't shoot past 20 yards because he never practices).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
trophyhill
Personally, Never heard of him

I hadn’t either. But then again I haven’t heard of 99.9999% of outfitters and guides as I am a DIY solo and backcountry hunter for the most part. But the substance of what he’s talking about in this video is top notch imo. Hopefully it sheds some light and gets some of those quitters out there to either up their game or get out of the fight.

Last edited:
This thread is perfect evidence that there are "hunters" and there are "guys who hunt".

"Guys who hunt" are out there to relax and enjoy time with their friends, and are excited if they get something but don't really care too much about success. The guys in this thread saying hunting is their vacation are in this camp. These are the guys who are most likely to quit.

"Hunters" are out there to be successful and care VERY MUCH if they are not. They are not out in the woods to relax. They are out there to grind and work and get it done. These are the guys who generally don't quit.

There is nothing wrong with either of those mentalities, but I think it's very hard for these two groups to understand each other.

In my group of dudes we are all "hunters", with one exception....he's a "guy who hunts". He's the one bringing beer to camp, starting campfires and staying up until 11-12 PM drinking, rolls out of bed well after sunup, wanders around the woods, and comes back to camp. In a week long hunt he's usually heading back into town for a burger 2-3 times minimum. He's a great guy, but he honestly does not understand AT ALL how important hunting, and being successful, is to the rest of us. He gets a little bummed when I tell him that I won't hunt archery elk with him for the simple reason that he decreases my odds of being successful (he adds noise, and movement, he can't call, and he can't shoot past 20 yards because he never practices).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

This is a really good way to put it. On my first elk hunt this fall, I came up with a saying of 'ABH' which is Always Be Hunting. It basically means every minute you are out there you should be doing something that works toward the goal of getting an elk. Even little things like taking a longer route back to camp to glass another ridge right before the sun sets or hunkering down by a tree to let the storm pass instead of getting back to camp. Back at camp you eat quickly for fuel to hunt, be in bed by 8:00 pm then up by 4:00 am and a quick breakfast and morning shit to start hunting again.

I used to mountain bike a lot and the physical and mental toughness of hunting is actually very similar to doing 24 hour mountain bike races. I did a few 4 man team competitive races- Both events have considerable suffering, both require you to be out in crazy hours before dawn etc and both require extensive logistics on eating and taking care of yourself. The mental aspect of the race is especially brutal. It will be 3:45 am and you are wet and dead tired out on this pitch black trail all by yourself with only your light and you will literally ride for 30 min and have no recollection of what you just did. If anyone else here likes to mountain bike I highly recommend it as it is actually a fairly similar experience to hunting and you can get a few buddies and get a team together to keep sharp during the off season.