Why Guys Quit on the Mountain

PRC_GUY

WKR
I know a guy who quit during his hunting in the maintain, he thinks the party is there for him and just comes there keep partying. It is not what he really thinks , then he quit.

Guys quit because it wasn’t what they thought it would be. Too much tv. Too much internet. Too many dreams.

Then reality hit. They didn’t think it would be so tough to get around at 7000-10,000 feet. They are used to deer hunting so they thought sightings of animals would be way more frequent. They couldn’t handle not seeing a single thing for several days. The weather wasn’t the same as it was on Primos The Truth. It was nothing like tv or You Tube! As a matter of fact… it turned out to be WAY MORE work than fun!

Lots of guys make it through a hunt and then decide not to do it again. Some quit a day or two early. I’ve seen guys hunt 1 days and say hell no I’m out! Lol

Elk hunting has a revolving door. We recruit new hunters every year. And every year rookies walk away. It’s not for everyone. The ones who like it love it. The ones who don’t are never coming back!

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
They are used to deer hunting so they thought sightings of animals would be way more frequent. They couldn’t handle not seeing a single thing for several days.

Indian Summer nailed it right here. Waaaaaay less guys would quit if they were seeing elk every day.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

… it turned out to be WAY MORE work than fun!

I agree with this and you could even leave out the work part. A lot of people quit when they are not enjoying it, even if the hunt requires little work. I get that a lot of people are out there to kill an animal and they will do what it takes because that is how they measure success. There are also a lot people out there that just want to go have a good time and hunt. Once its no fun, for a number of reasons, they leave.

Deadfall

WKR
Uh....he forgets to discuss the outfitter roll and guide roll.

Communication with the outfitter of your choosing is infinitely important. What the expectations are. What the hunt is.

Secondly a guide worth his salt will be able to difuse alot of the stress. Mostly through discussion and humor. Also with work rest Cycles during the hunt.

Guides are way more then just someone to put someone else on a animal..

Some folks are truly unbearable. Even that can be overcome.

What he says is mostly true on a personal level. Recognizing that stuff within yourself is a great quality. Idk anyone who can do that at all times. Part of a guides job is to recognize stuff and address those things without hitting them head on. Dozens of ways to go about it.

Had a hunter few years ago. having a rough time. Nothing was working. It had snowed and was chilly. That night sky was clear as bell, stars dancing on the snow kind of night. I just sat down on a log, told hunter I needed a minute to decompress and plan next move. Let the guy in sky work out whatever was chewing on the hunter. After awhile, just soaking in the night sky this guy broke down. Once we stopped and set down not one word was said.

Just me letting him know I was stressed also and needed a minute to just be. That was enough. Big guy took over.

Point is, sometimes it's almost impossible to see the forest through the trees. It's good to get subtle nudges from others once in awhile. Wether that's a guide or buddy or pet. Or whatever.