Why Guys Quit on the Mountain

I think most beginner elk hunters quit before their time because of unreasonable expectations and/or lack of preparation, especially on public land. When they realize that "real" elk hunting is not always what is portrayed on popular outdoor tv shows and YouTube it comes as a shocking reality check.. Faced with adversity/obstacles such as terrain, weather, lack of game sightings, moderate hunter pressure guys either cowboy up or fold. Elk hunting is 90% work and mental toughness.

prm

WKR
I think he was spot on. Perceived stress leads to rationalizations. All the “reasons” are just individual rationalizations. It’s not the food, hard work, family, etc., those are just the easiest reasons to justify getting out of the perceived stress. I’ve been there and afterwards thought long and hard about why I left before I had to, and I think he nailed it. Once you’ve experienced that, you are ready for those thoughts on future hunts, or you don’t have them because you know sticking it out will be the most rewarding. That’s the experience part.

I can't recall ever like straight up quitting and going home, but I have definitely done something I wouldn't normally have, like skip an evening hunt to glass or move areas or whatever, because the wind was being a crazy neurotic b**** (you know that wind, up down left right, impossible to kill anything with a bow in wind like that).

OP
trophyhill
Sleep at elevation really sucks ass. Havent found a way to combat that yet either. I never get sick and am fine all day. I can be dog ass tired when i hit the rack. Soon as i do, wide awake half the damn night.
The one thing that can help is hunting right out of camp versus trying to walk 5MilesBack before the sun comes up.

I've had guys wanting out because they're addicted to their stupid phones and not being "Connected" was driving them nuts.
I think in todays world most can't slow down and be on natures time which is a snails pace, a week in the woods is an eternity to some.
Best part of the Bob. No cell coverage except on top of the pass on the way in.

I hear this from younger clients who are in their 20's, 30's and even 40's:

"How come we haven't left camp yet";

"Why are you going so slow";

"How come we can't just race over there and get them";

"Why sit here all day";

"When are we going to go over there and look";

"What's taking so long";

"We're not seeing anything here and I don't know why you won't go over there and look";

"That trophy that's supposed to be here hasn't showed up and I don't think it actually exists".

blah, blah, blah (add nauseum) .....

Typically my response to such questions is; "Because we're on animal time, not human time".

Today's American hunter is a reflection of American society and its culture - quick, easy, convenient, and entitled.
That's just plain disrespectful. On our hunt if the guide/outfitter asked me to jump I'd have said "how high". We were in his house and were counting on his experience/expertise to keep us safe and hopefullly successful.

I have had 2 people quit on me.

1 was overweight and got altitude sickness instantly upon getting there and I think the other missed his mommy. lol

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Great video. I have experienced all facets of this video from both angles. Age and experience help. I enjoyed the psychological aspect of this video to help a guy out when he needs a nudge or a shove or advise on a hunt. I will probably be watching this video before sheep season 2023.

OP
trophyhill
I really enjoy watching his stuff on YouTube. I like his perspective on things for the most part and have learned quite a bit.
Same here. Some of his stuff doesnt apply where and how i hunt, but the intangibles he talks about check alot of boxes for me

Scoot

WKR
Some guys are pussies. They have no idea what it takes to kill an elk. They watch youtube and think they will toot on a horn and the bull will come running in, waiting to get shot. I've had that happen, but usually it's the 98th toot and not the first one that works!

I've had two guys quit completely on me. One wasn't in good enough shape to do the kind of hunt we were doing and the other guy was just plain a pussy. He said several times "I miss my wife" and "I'm just not cut from the same cloth as you" and "this is just too hard". This was after bragging about his time in a half-marathon a few weeks before we left and constantly saying how much he loves hunting. Pussy.

Elk hunting is generally hard. It's particularly hard if you are a DIY guy and hunting public land. If putting in that kind of work to kill an elk isn't for you, don't do it. Or... show up, fail, go running home with your tail between your legs, and get crucified by A-holes like me on the forums! :)

...and just because elk hunting isn't for you doesn't mean you're a pussy. But if you show up and whine about missing your wife, being too tired, being too cold, and/or pull the pin early, you are a pussy.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
But if you show up and whine about missing your wife, being too tired, being too cold, and/or pull the pin early
This is what drove me to leave my buddy to his own demise: whine, whine, whine
He couldn't just be a man about it and say "this isn't working for me, but you keep hunting as I don't want to slow you down." He just kept saying we should go home. To hell with that nonsense!

Scoot

WKR
This is what drove me to leave my buddy to his own demise: whine, whine, whine
He couldn't just be a man about it and say "this isn't working for me, but you keep hunting as I don't want to slow you down." He just kept saying we should go home. To hell with that nonsense!
Sounds like we hunted with the same puss! :D I'm anything but the world's toughest guy, but seriously... I'd never puss out like that! Trying to end another guy's hunt because you're a damn pussy is just plain selfish.

Let's face it, USA society is soft in general.....even at my gym I would say that more than 50% are soft.
My oldest will be 25 this month and my daughters are 17 and 15. Based on what they say goes on in their school, this country is trying to make kids soft. All feelings and no consequences. Hell, they don't even give zeroes anymore if you don't do an assignment, and if you do poorly on one there's unlimited retakes in a lot of cases.

Our enemies abroad have got to be laughing their butts off. Does anybody think that students in China, N. Korea, or Russia are coddled if they don't perform? I don't think so... All they care about is excellence, a value that is diluted more and more every year in this country. They stopped publishing the honor roll in the paper years ago and on senior awards night they don't even list all the scholarships that kids applied and worked hard to earn. This is all in Western Iowa where we vote more conservatively and in a town of 1,100. I cannot imagine what is going on in big city schools.

Sick and wrong my friends...

I would have to be in serious medical peril to take action to end someone else's hunt early.
My older brother had a torn miniscus in his right knee before our trip last fall. He braced it up and we packed in and hunted 7 days with his only complaint coming after slipping on some skree and landing hard on it. He toughed it out without a shot opportunity the whole hunt, a bum leg, and an ornery horse for me, and I'd done the same for him.