Why Guys Quit on the Mountain

cjdewese

WKR
Same here. Some of his stuff doesnt apply where and how i hunt, but the intangibles he talks about check alot of boxes for me
Exactly this, I haven't had a chance to elk hunt but being a new hunter I pick up a lot about how to navigate a mountain and how to work towards finding game.

I also enjoy his perspective on guiding and the different situations he's been through as a result.

Amazes me the people who I would think that would suffer the most often times pull through. A lot of GYM rats are scared of the dark and scared of bears.

"City people just don't get it" lol

Bachto

WKR
Not going to lie, I quit early this year on my montana elk hunt. I quit a day early and I kicked myself for it the whole 8 hour drive back home. I had made some mistakes that cost me not killing an elk 2 different times and was super discouraged. My dad was with me (without a tag) and we weren't really getting along the best. I could tell he was over being out there.

I am squeezing out all my vacation and am going back for rifle season though so it's not over yet.

OP
trophyhill
Amazes me the people who I would think that would suffer the most often times pull through. A lot of GYM rats are scared of the dark and scared of bears.

"City people just don't get it" lol
Oh i could tell stories about bears in the Gila. Something for all to remember. If you kill elk in the wilderness, get it all out at once or get it up out of reach if you can find a tree big enough with branches far enough away from the trunk.

We had a bear follow us out of the wilderness at night 2 weeks ago. It definitely had the spidy senses tingling.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
For myself,I have a mantra of "no regrets." I do not want to leave a hunt and feel I didn't give everything I had. I have done that and it haunts me until the next year. It fuels the fire of success. Living in the back of my mind as a failure to never be repeated.

I have an entire year to get whatever I injured fixed, whatever I sucked at learned and whatever mistakes I made to be in my mind as to not repeat them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I think the positive mindset is important, and for me it helped last fall to have a specific goal when things got tough. For example, I'd ridden a little, but not regularly, before our hunt. However, I really enjoy horses, and one key goal for me was getting a little better and more comfortable in the saddle every day. I was fortunate to have a consistent horse and patient guides, so the hard work was on my side. This gave me something else to work on and look forward to every day when the elk didn't cooperate, and I will miss "Ace". He was a good horse that carried my big a$$ around and kept me safe.

OP
trophyhill
For myself,I have a mantra of "no regrets." I do not want to leave a hunt and feel I didn't give everything I had. I have done that and it haunts me until the next year. It fuels the fire of success. Living in the back of my mind as a failure to never be repeated.

I have an entire year to get whatever I injured fixed, whatever I sucked at learned and whatever mistakes I made to be in my mind as to not repeat them.

When you "leave it all on the field" or in this case "leave it all on the mountain", we don't tend to have the regrets others may have because we know we did everything in our power to have success. As fleeting as success can be and it's still never a guarentee.

Hoodie

WKR
It’s pretty simple, just keep hammering. Some do, many don’t

I keep hearing this from people. What are we supposed to hammer? Does anyone make a carbon fiber hammer? Or titanium? What's everyone's hammer weigh?

And, most importantly, does the camo pattern of the hammer matter?

Isn't it noisy?

I have so many hammer questions.

I keep hearing this from people. What are we supposed to hammer? Does anyone make a carbon fiber hammer? Or titanium? What's everyone's hammer weigh?

And, most importantly, does the camo pattern of the hammer matter?

Isn't it noisy?

I have so many hammer questions.

Ha ha! Good one being from OR and all, I'm sure you've never heard the term "Keep hammering" A proper translation would be as a once kick ass band once screamed and Cam approved...........

Walk Walk til you drop......... Walk walk never stop...............Walk walk till you drop........... I say walk walk to the top!

And never forget.......... That your mama don't mind what your mama don't see!

ozyclint

WKR

To add to that, I always think to myself that there are the other 50 weeks of the year where I can be comfortable at home and remind myself that I usually spend those 50 weeks wishing I was out here on the mountain doing it hard.