Why I don't do floorless...

Mice too. I've had a few of them raiding my camp! Of course, a few Victors cure the problem pretty quick...

Mike7

WKR
Mike,

That reminds me of being in Okinawa in the military in the jungle training area there. The millipedes would come out at night after the short rains. They were harmless, but it was a little unnerving to get up at night to leave the tent to pee without your flip-flops on, because you could hear and feel the millipedes crunch under your feet as you walked. Now, the centipedes on the other hand were large predatory insects that were a force to be reckoned with, but we ran into those rarely and they tried to generally avoid you just like spiders do.

I love my floorless tents still :) --Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike,

That reminds me of being in Okinawa in the military in the jungle training area there. The millipedes would come out at night after the short rains. They were harmless, but it was a little unnerving to get up at night to leave the tent to pee without your flip-flops on, because you could hear and feel the millipedes crunch under your feet as you walked. Now, the centipedes on the other hand were large predatory insects that were a force to be reckoned with, but we ran into those rarely and they tried to generally avoid you just like spiders do.

I love my floorless tents still :) --Mike

Spiders avoid you? lol
Not only did we have all these millipedes, but we killed probably 40+ wolf spiders! They came out and you could shine your headlight in any general direction and see their eyes glowing back at ya... just waiting to pounce and attack! haha

Mike

Yikes. Creepy crawlers.

But I will use a floor less shelter for the rest of my life. Won't ever go back to "bath tub" floored tents again.
DSC_3954.jpg

In the 10 years I have been using Kifaru shelters I have never had an issue with bugs. Actually less bug encounters than a normal tent. Because with a normal tent I they get in they can't get out.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Haha, don't move to the Midwest Mike, wolf spider every where and yup they run from humans well the hunted Midwestern variety do :). Just killed one last night that ran across the floor at mach nine :)

Beastmode

WKR
Don't see myself ever going floorless either Mike. Way too many bugs. I like to sit in a bug free area to eat, look at maps, plan the next day etc...Although having bugs trapped between the rain fly and the tent has to be one of the most anoying things I know of. Better than on me though.

OP
HellsCanyon
I really think I"ll be going floorless in the future, however I will rock a removable nest! Need a versatile setup as I hunt a lot of different kind of country! My hunting partner was rocking Crocs and it was hilarious watching him go back and forth trying to kill and avoid spiders the whole time... ;) I'm no big fan of them either though thats for sure...

Mike

dotman

WKR
I actually have been using a ti-goat bug bivy here in the midwest. Really bugs are not an issue but it does help keep ticks and such away till it gets cold. Kind of a pain to get in and out but it works and is only 5oz.

Bad knee- that is a pic of a super tarp. Yes it can get condensation at times just like any shelter out there. Not having the annex on cuts down on any chance of condensation. Condensation is affected by a lot of factors. Humitidty, where your pitched (grass vs dirt) etc. But for the most part I don't ever have any issues but i do 90% of my camping in Colorado which is a fairly dry place.

I have used the supertarp in some crazy rain, hail, and snow storms. Amazes me how well it works for weighing in at a pound!

Mike7

WKR
Since the supertarp is not a great sized tarp to place a roomy nest in possibly...another option might be if you want to keep the advantages of the floorless tarp while getting rid of the perceived disadvantages for some, is to have someone sew 18 inches of mosquito netting around the supertarp's edges and sew on a mosquito net door. This allows for pitching of the tent higher up off of the ground in humid weather for superior ventillation, ability to walk into the tent with muddy boots & cook in the tent, and fair ability to then seal out bugs by overlapping some some Tyvek over the bottom edges of the netting.