Why Kuiu?

dotman

WKR
Why are so many jumping on Kuiu? Is it the camo? Quality really that good? Isn't the outter wear syn? I have moved to all wool in my gear, first lite (black and dry earth) to be exact all except for pants. I haven't had an issue and like cabelas microtex for my pants. It also seems like you may receive your kuiu order months after due to supply issues or they are always sold out. So why is it so much better then other syn products?

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Sorry wasn't paying attention, thought i was in the clothing section, maybe this should be moved.

JG358

WKR
The only thing I like so far out of their line up is the Attack pants. I'm not a fan of the Vias camo and apperantly they have something against guys with out necks.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The weight, fit and breath-ability are some of the reasons that I like it. That's not to say other clothing won't work, but for mountain hunting it's a great option.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
Well made clothes with top of the line materials. At a price that isn't what I would consider absurd! Plus the weight savings when you buy the whole "kit". I think he saved 4 or 5 lbs over a comparable kit from Sitka.

Couple the Kuiu line of clothes with their pack or one of the KU/Timberline series of packs from Kifaru and you have a load that's anywhere from 8-12 lbs lighter than what was considered typical just a few years ago. Worth every bit to a flatlander such as myself.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Attack Pants are the best I have ever worn, that's why I like them. Best fit and cut along with material of a hunting pant. Their Guide jacket and vest are also one of my favorites for the same reasons. I also live 20 minutes from their store so it is easy to do my shopping and try their stuff.

I'm a fan of it because of its minimalist approach along with light weight. The prices are not ridiculous like Sitka for when you get a whole suit. The camo just looks cool as well! Its made by backcountry hunters for backcountry hunters, not just a huge camo company trying to hit another niche and not giving their gear much thought.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
If i remember correctly the original owner of sitka is the same guy that started kuiu, he built sitka up and sold to gortex i believe.

So for those of you that have used wool pants would you wait to see if first lite really corrected their pant issue or do you all feel the syn/ other qualities stated about kuiu will be hard to beat? Aron has already spent a ton of my money this year :) but i try to really get a good feel/idea before i do decide on any product changes.

Will i really notice a large diff going to the attack pant vs microtex, so far microtex has been good it drys quickly, lite weight, breaths, very durable and fit is not bad at all.

Oh yeah and i'm not a fan of vias so drab colors for me, outfitter camo really is the only camo i like but i like to use my gear for more then hunting so moving away from camo.

Last edited:

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Light weight, warm & fit. As a bowhunter it lets me move easier with no bulk even in cold weather. I like the camo but thats not real important to me. Maybe its because Jason shoots a longbow also!! ;)

Lawnboi

WKR
I can say out of any piece of clothing iv bought, I'd consider kuiu the highest quality. By far the best fit and finish iv ever seen on the pieces I have. Now this weekend starting tonight ill be putting them to the test backpacking for sheds. Quality and fit are bar none the best in the industry imo, even top end mountaineering gear iv owned isn't quite as top notch. You could do like I did, I got a few pieces to see if I liked it, well I'm blown away and will be getting more. I sold and passed down all my sitka gear.

I prefer synthetic outers, wool is more delicate, don't repel weather as well and don't dry as $ast. but I love my Merino baselayers

I like FirstLite too and tried their Kanab pants last year. I really liked them until they failed in the groin area on day 5. They are correcting this issue and I will probably own another pair. I like to support hunting companies that make high quality gear. Both Kuiu and FirstLite will get more business from me.

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the kuiu clothing line. I have bought a few pieces in the last couple weeks. The 185's and the 250 tops are very comfortable. And cant wait to try the them out int the woods. The attack pants are nice fitting to. Will be trying them out turkey hunting in a couple weeks. I have also bought a First lite Chama top and really like it too. I will be adding both more kuiu and first lite to my collection of hunting clothing. Also like to say this is a great web site :) Keep up the good work

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't like Vias camo, the attack pants are made in three solid colors also. A green, gray and brown if I remember correctly.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
If you don't like Vias camo, the attack pants are made in three solid colors also. A green, gray and brown if I remember correctly.

I saw that and must say i like the olive but of course none are in stock which bugs me, so then i looked at the brown and again none in stock. They do have the gray in so i may just order that up and give these a shot or wait till june and see what first lite comes out with, maybe kuiu will have more in stock by then if first lite doesn't sell me. Or maybe just stick with microtex but the noce thing is that the attack do come in multiple colors, if first lite sticks to only dry earth i will pass just because i don't want to look like a turd in all dry earth :).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear a little of many brands at a time, but typically have at least one KUIU item on. The 250 base layer is pretty durable and I will wear it alone. The 185 top is to thin to not wear something over it if going through the brush, otherwise it will tear. The attack pants are simply the most comfortable pant I own. The guide jacket replaced a sitka jacket that had run it course. KUIU to me brings quality, light material, at a very good price. That being said I still like many of my sitka items and use them frequently and piece meal items together for what I want to wear for that day.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I still have my Cabela's microtex, but haven't worn it since upgrading to Sitka and KUIU. The microtex was/is good, but the Sitka and KUIU pants are better imo. For one thing, they stretch and move with you. No binding of your legs when climbing hills. Sitka pants have more bells and whistles, but KUIU pants have worked well for me and I really like them. With the exception of a few snags from going through sticker bushes they are holding up great after a years wear.

I know this isn't comparing KUIU to Microtex, but I did a comparison of KUIU to Sitka pants in one of the posts at my blog. Click here to see it.

Ron

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Ross, I thought the same thing about the comparative fragility of wool base layers, though I love them. I also really like my Kuiu 250 sweater, but I'm too hot much of the early season to wear it. So I thought having a Kuiu long sleeved "Attack Shirt" might be the perfect solution for early season hunts where you want to protect your wool base layers from brush or light rain, but don't need a heavier insulating layer or more waterproof/less breathable layer over your wool base layer.

I have worn my Microtex shirt before for this function, but it has no water resistance. And I have not carried a thicker softshell layer like the Guide jacket, because this seems to be somewhat of a waisted layer for me since I always carry a hard shell rain jacket in the backcountry. Maybe in Colorado I would not need the hard shell, but here I really need it. Apparently, I'm in a minority though, because I don't think Kuiu has plans for the "Attack Shirt" yet.

Yukondog

WKR
For me it is weight, durability and material. Comparing KUIU with other companies it seems they are building there gear with better material from the start. The price is also very attractive because the middle man is gone. I owned my fair share of Sitka and what got me on the band wagon was the wool base layers. I prefer wool over synthetic and the outwear is much lighter to boot. Compared next to each other all my KUIU gear weights several ounces less than my Sitka. When weighting everything together the savings is good. Only item that was a wash was my 90% and the Guide Jacket which it think is because of the hood.

Matt