Why Lie and Kill the Fun?

WCB

WKR
The only people that know exactly where I shoot good bucks are either there when I do it or my really close friends who I know won't move in on my spots or tell anyone where I shot them or even where I hunt.

With the new suburban deer hunting shows and trends going on even saying "yeah I shot it in my backyard" is risky business. You can still honor the buck and say...yeah we watched him grow up etc. You can also talk about how a buck you hunted was a mythical nocturnal swamp buck without pinpointing the exact swamp. Also, you didn't shoot the deer so why do you care? It was a deer you saw in your neighbor hood...so what. Ask the Whitetail Adrenaline guys about what happens when people discover where you shoot big deer at. Ask guys that used to have land in Buffalo County WI or Pike County IL or anywhere else land got gobbled up, leased out, or over hunted.

What I don't understand is why people get so connected/weird about deer they watch? It is almost sickening watching hunting shows and how the "story of old Slick Beam Bob has come to an end".

Also, off topic unless a deer has a really noticeable physical feature there is no way in hell anybody knows they have been watching the same buck from a fawn or a spike to maturity. Once the horns get somewhat formed ok but even a forky or 6 pointer unless really unique save your breath you have no idea.

Lowg08

WKR
Im probably a horrible person. Guys here will not leave the house or road normally but when they hear big deer and think they know where you are they will be all over you. So I have a spot I’ll find with very little to no deer sign and when they ask I tell them there. Not where I’m at. When your hunting area has .4 bucks per square mile. You don’t share if they must press on I’ll send them to the nastiest place I got. Then they stop asking. Especially with lack of deer density and quality bucks available and the time that goes into it. I’ll send them on a wild goose chase.

I got burned here in TX over 20 years ago, so I ain’t telling a dang thang. I don’t mind talking about the goings on from my place 500 miles away though.

I usually assume that the hunter is lying about the location of where the deer is killed but that doesn't take away from the story - in my opinion. I think most trophy hunters are secretive about things like this - I will give people a general location usually but nothing specific 🙂

I live in the People’s Republic of Illinois. I don’t share hunting stories with many people around here. I certainly don’t give directions.

Heck. My buddy and I have an urban honey hole who’s owner is concerned about anti-hunting nut jobs and demands our complete discretion. In order to clandestinely leave the property, we’ve stashed a big buck in the trunk of his wife’s car with a plastic drop cloth like a mob hit.

Lie? Unnecessary with Omertà.

Broomd

WKR
I don't blame the guy for the misdirection one bit.
He told you the truth out of respect, that should speak volumes about the friendship.

Sizthediz

WKR
I can understand if you have a close personal relationship with someone this might matter. Playing devil's advocate why are you asking where someone has taken their animal (fish/deer) from in the first place? Deep down inside do you actually expect someone to give you the actual location?

Im probably a horrible person. Guys here will not leave the house or road normally but when they hear big deer and think they know where you are they will be all over you. So I have a spot I’ll find with very little to no deer sign and when they ask I tell them there. Not where I’m at. When your hunting area has .4 bucks per square mile. You don’t share if they must press on I’ll send them to the nastiest place I got. Then they stop asking. Especially with lack of deer density and quality bucks available and the time that goes into it. I’ll send them on a wild goose chase.
ive drove my fiancés car to spots because people figured out what i drive

WCB

WKR
ive drove my fiancés car to spots because people figured out what i drive
I have a buddy that bought a new hunting rig just for that reason...Kept his old one to for some scouting trips or just driving around. Kept the new one on the down low so once he found a good animal his old truck never made an appearance at that trail head again. Had people actually follow him almost a couple hours away then make it seem like it was such a funny coincidence they were hunting the same trail head.

I use my truck but 95% of the time everyone sees my work truck. Personal truck is in the basement. I like being incognito. I know a few guys using Subarus and it’s working
i also dont cover my truck in hunting stickers like some guys do

kpk

WKR
Odds are there's a hell of a lot of people in the neighborhood that consider that buck the neighborhood pet.
Saying he shot it somewhere else will probably deflect a bunch of crap.

WKR
My kids always struggled with how to answer these location questions. I taught them to be honest but they hated giving up spots. My solution was as follows. Someone asks you where you got your nice deer, elk, bear, pheasants etc? You answer "just outside buena vista, co." Which was truthful as just outside means many things. In time the entire group of hunting kids was using "Buena Vista". I see pics with Buena Vista tagged in them all the time now. Makes me laugh every time.

I find it disrespectful for adults, kids, lazy butts, etc to ask where I am finding success. So to all those who ask where to kill a great xxxx like that one, the answer is always Buena Vista, CO.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your buddy is trying to save the spot from getting overrun by other hunters. I don't lie about hunting or fishing spots, just don't be specific. It you shoot a monster and tell everyone where you shot it, it will get crowded for sure.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping secrets, or lying, is the only way to keep a good spot good. End of story. Sad, but true.