Why no love for the Ruger Hawkeye?

This was a dream rifle for me when i was a kid. I have never owned one, but I am curious why they are not more popular? Controlled round feed, integral bases, solid calibers. Just curious.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't like their integrated bases for mounting scopes to, and don't like their controlled feed with loading single shells at a time.

Wapiti1

WKR
They are a solid utility rifle. My .300 Win Mag is built on a M77 Mk2 action.

There is nothing sexy about them, and they aren't finished as well as they should be, IMO.

I don't think Ruger has marketed that platform well recently.

Jeremy

Heavy. My first rifle was a Ruger M77 in 270, that now has a HS precision stock, was a rebored 35 whelen, and now has a new barrel in 9.3x62 which I feel goes well with the weight and crf as a thumper round for potential dangerous game.

I have been thinking of a Hawkeye in 375 ruger 🤔

fwafwow

WKR
I spent some time looking into them when I was considering my next "needed" rifle in CRF.

gbflyer

WKR
Very functional and dependable. Today’s market seems to favor extreme light weight and bench rest accuracy potential, neither of which the 77 is known for. Accuracy seems to be a roll of the dice with any investment cast receiver, Ruger 77, now defunct MRC, etc. Yes there are exceptions...queue up the tack drivers

MHWASH

WKR
As mentioned weight is an issue. I also don't think they cycle as smoothly as lots of others. I have a 22-250 that I shot the barrel out of. Had a 204 that was accurate, but it was a supposed ultra light and still weighed 8# with a Leupold compact scope. Had a 7mm Rem mag that was inconsistent in accuracy. In my opinion, for the price there are better options.

Had one in 35 whelen I sold to a member on here. Nice rifle, pretty accurate after a bedding job. They are heavy and kind of clunky but I wouldn’t mind another some day, an Alaskan in 416 would be sweet.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Ruger Hawkeye M77 in .308 for over 10 years now. Compact rifle for when I need to carry for a while and very accurate. Have shot many deer with it out to 250 yards.

Now also have a Ruger Hawkeye Guide gun in 300 WIN MAG. Same as above very reliable 3" groups out to 200 yards. Only complaint is the rear hard sight interferes with getting a pop-up lens cover on front of the scope.

My first 6.5 manbun was the Ruger FTW I picked up when they came out (2015 or 2016???). Only killed one animal with it so far, but it's a shooter... easy 0.5 MOA with factory ammo. While it feels heavy, it's ~7 1/2 lbs so not sure weight is that much of an issue. I've owned lots of Ruger handguns (six shooters and 22s) and think highly of their stuff. I think that FTW is a damn fine rifle that'd be an excellent choice for western hunting.

Like others have said, they're a no-frills, heavier than others, boring tool.

I've had a Hawkeye Guide Gun in 375 Ruger, now a Hawkeye FTW in 375 Ruger. Matched with that caliber, I think the rifle is one of (if not the) best off-the-rack rifles for that role where you may want a 375. Perhaps even better in 416 Ruger in the Guide Gun model. As a huge side draw, these in 375 Ruger are practically the only left-handed factory medium bores out there and for a modest price. Those calibers definitely aren't used a lot among folks here for lightweight backpack hunting but I do. I appreciate what a 375 can do so I don't mind carrying all of about 1.5 lbs more than I would with a Tikka.

Last edited:

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
My dad has an old one in .270 that has taken a lot of deer and a few bears. I shot my first deer with that rifle. It's a good gun, but not as accurate, and quite a bit heavier than the rifles I hunt with now. Nothing to sneeze at, but if I were buying a rifle tomorrow, it wouldn't be a Hawkeye. Too many better options out there at similar or even lower prices.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with the Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I love the short barrel for where we hunt in the thick brush. It is very accurate and has done great for me on moose, caribou, black bears and grizzly bears. Someone mentioned having an issue feeding a single round, I haven't had an issue. The claw extracture on mine is tapered and will close easily when dropping in a single shell. It isn't very light but I can't compare it to another rifle in 375. I did add an aftermarket trigger for fun even though I didn't have any problems with the original. I haven't bedded it but do reload for it and it may be my most accurate rifle.

Spoonbill

WKR
I get the feeling that ruger 77s are one of those guns that a lot of people own but not a lot of people talk about. I have one that I bored out to 35 whelen and if I ever need a 375, I will likely buy a Ruger, partly due to the weight and partly due to the fact it is an affordable left hand crf action.

Trial153

WKR
I have a mark II in .257 Robert's, i havent hunted it or any rifle in i don't know how many years, it shoots pretty well. I plan on giving it to my son if he want to hunt with a rifle in a few years.