Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love my M77 MKll Stainless in .308

Attachments

• 9E3C684F-5C37-4863-8580-3FCC285D915B.jpeg
    9E3C684F-5C37-4863-8580-3FCC285D915B.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 39

Q child

WKR
I love mine. I've got a 30-06 MKII. I've got a synthetic/stainless one. It can take a beating. It shoots straight. It is stiff and solid. The action is smooth. Have had it probably 10 years.

I have a mkii in 30-06 too. As long as I do my part I can get sub moa groups at 100 yards but usually can put a quarter in the center of my groups. Now mine is from the early 90's so its action is horrible. I do feel though that this gun is indestructible!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a matte stainless Hawkeye in .338 win mag about 2 years after Ruger launched them. Pour thing was marked down to $400 and needed a home. Put a bedded hogue stock on it and its a damn fine accurate rifle with 200 and 225 accubonds. Yes, gets a little heavy on long days, but such a fun gun to shoot. Feeds reliably and built solid. Kicks less with 200's than my 300 win does and is just efficient. Aftermarket stocks are limited for Rugers to a few companies. Hogue, Boyd's, HS Precision come to mind. My rifle is 9.5# with scope. To heavy for some but not much difference than some long range setups. Those 225's hit elk like thors hammer!

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
I picked up a matte stainless Hawkeye in .338 win mag about 2 years after Ruger launched them. Pour thing was marked down to $400 and needed a home. Put a bedded hogue stock on it and its a damn fine accurate rifle with 200 and 225 accubonds. Yes, gets a little heavy on long days, but such a fun gun to shoot. Feeds reliably and built solid. Kicks less with 200's than my 300 win does and is just efficient. Aftermarket stocks are limited for Rugers to a few companies. Hogue, Boyd's, HS Precision come to mind. My rifle is 9.5# with scope. To heavy for some but not much difference than some long range setups. Those 225's hit elk like thors hammer!
I think for the bigger calibers, weight of a m77 becomes less of an issue. Part of the reason i used an m77 for my 35 whelen was the weight. If memory serves its right at 8-8.5#, not sure if i would want it lighter.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 204 that I use as a coyote gun. Very accurate don’t mind humping it around stand to stand. Nice gun but not what I would take out elk or deer hunting because of the weight

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think for the bigger calibers, weight of a m77 becomes less of an issue. Part of the reason i used an m77 for my 35 whelen was the weight. If memory serves its right at 8-8.5#, not sure if i would want it lighter.

I’m looking into getting an all weather Hawkeye 30-06 I have re bored or re barreled to a 35 whelen.

Not Hawkeyes, but I have 3 77RL Ultra Lights in 243, 257 and 308, along with a 77RSI full stock in 250 Sav, all tangers. No complaints with any of them. They're not bench rest guns with their soda straw barrels, but all of them put the first cold bore shot exactly where intended. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, (all are just a shade over 7# w/ Lewey VII2-7X33 glass), yet heavy enough to settle down for the shot. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I find them very pleasant to look at.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not Hawkeyes, but I have 3 77RL Ultra Lights in 243, 257 and 308, along with a 77RSI full stock in 250 Sav, all tangers. No complaints with any of them. They're not bench rest guns with their soda straw barrels, but all of them put the first cold bore shot exactly where intended. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, (all are just a shade over 7# w/ Lewey VII2-7X33 glass), yet heavy enough to settle down for the shot. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I find them very pleasant to look at.

I’ve always thought the Ruger rifles just looked nice...other than the new ones with those unsightly muzzle brakes.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I have two MK IIs, a 7mm RM and a 300WM.
They’re both fairly heavy, at 8lbs-12ozs, but I prefer heavy guns for magnums. Plus it’s easier to get a rock solid rest IMO.

They are both, my “go to” high plains deer rifles.

2ski

WKR
I don't like their integrated bases for mounting scopes to, and don't like their controlled feed with loading single shells at a time.

What does that mean? The controlled feed part. I have an M77 but I'm not a gun guy. Most of the real detail stuff is lost on me.

My .270 only really likes 140gr and from what I've shot, the factory stuff from Nosler. I've gone higher and lower. The worst accuracy was HSM 130's.

Spoonbill

WKR
What does that mean? The controlled feed part. I have an M77 but I'm not a gun guy. Most of the real detail stuff is lost on me.

My .270 only really likes 140gr and from what I've shot, the factory stuff from Nosler. I've gone higher and lower. The worst accuracy was HSM 130's.
Controlled round feed means that the bolt grabs a round out of the magazine vs pushing it (tikka, m700 etc) there are some good articles and videos on the differences that explain it in better detail.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’m looking into getting an all weather Hawkeye 30-06 I have re bored or re barreled to a 35 whelen.
I had mine rebored, only complaints I have is that it copper fouls worse than all of my other rifles, it will look like I melted a penny in the barrel after 20 shots. Also the barrel becomes pretty thin so it heats up more quickly. That being said, I am very happy with it and its accurate, can’t wait to hunt with it.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Wyo2track about the Hawkeye .338 Win Mag. I was looking for a control feed rifle that would work well in MT griz country in a .338 WM. Found a smoking deal on a like new Hawkeye, matte stainless, laminate stock and had no idea what to expect. Put a Meopta straight 6x with a #4 reticle and it is a damn fine gun. It is not as smooth as some of my customs, but it’s a great piece of mind, surprisingly accurate, and does not kick bad at all with full power 225gr. I put a Basix trigger in it (super easy) and use the gun a lot in bad weather and when not mountain hunting. I cannot imagine anything better for the price/purpose built setup out to 400 yards or so. I grab it often over other “better” guns and it’s a hell of a nice gun to shoot at the range; it looks good too.

rodney482

WKR
i see they make this in LH.. thanks for the review. What optic are you using?

I hunt with the Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I love the short barrel for where we hunt in the thick brush. It is very accurate and has done great for me on moose, caribou, black bears and grizzly bears. Someone mentioned having an issue feeding a single round, I haven't had an issue. The claw extracture on mine is tapered and will close easily when dropping in a single shell. It isn't very light but I can't compare it to another rifle in 375. I did add an aftermarket trigger for fun even though I didn't have any problems with the original. I haven't bedded it but do reload for it and it may be my most accurate rifle.

ldmay375

FNG
I have stainless Mark II’s and Hawkeyes, they are my most used rifles. Normally, I change the triggers, and the replace the stocks with fiberglass ones and have bedded. The Mark II was bead blasted to get rid of the polished shine. My 338 Winchester, 375 Ruger, and 416 Rugers group very well.
The M70 stainless Classics and the stainless Rugers are two of my favorite type rifles. Neither are lightweights.

Rokbar

WKR
I have these 77s in .243 and .270. You are right about throwing shots after 2-3 rounds. I love carrying that .270 in the mountains here. Just wish they were so finicky sighting in.

I am a huge fan. My favorite rifle is a M77 Hawkeye in 7mm-08. I have several lighter rifles including a couple of Tikkas and I really love those too. But there is a special place for me when it comes to Walnut and blued steel!