Why no mule deer on winter range?

Pdzoller

WKR
Just got back from a small vacation with my wife. We took our yearly trip to Eastern Oregon with hopes of getting to see some animals moving to the winter ranges. I am almost speechless with what I have seen or more accurately not seen. We covered hundreds of miles of open range land that just ten years ago was teaming with life that today is completely desolate.

The land that I saw this past week was overgrazed and overpopulated with free rage cattle. I am by no means against grazing cattle on range land, but the mule deer populations also rely on these areas. Their ability to sustain their numbers on the same forage sources should be just as important as grazing cattle.

We also came across a great number of predator marking areas/tracks and poaching sites. Multiple planted forage plots that were put in place for wildlife that were being grazed by livestock. The wildlife populations research being conducted in these areas to record the number and health of these animals should be influencing how these areas are managed. But something seems amiss.

We can’t seem to understand why there are more tags issued in these units than there are harvestable animals. Or why the wildlife refuge areas, where wildlife may find a brief reprieve from these external pressures, are now being opened to hunters. There also seems to be a general consensus on the issue of predator numbers and their effect of herd numbers, but no greater action to try to bring the predator numbers down.

We are deeply concerned for the future of these wild game populations in an area we love. If only we knew of a way forward to preserve these wild lands and animals we enjoy seeing and hunting. A way in which both the cattle, the land, and wild game are given equal importance.

hobbes

WKR
Lots of areas over grazed this year due to drought in Montana. I'd assume that Oregon was in the same boat. Also, how much snow is there to push them onto winter range?

Bighorner

WKR
Were you able to get in contact with any of the managing agencies to let them know what you saw and how you felt about it?

OP
Pdzoller

Pdzoller

WKR
The highest I was able to get was around 6k. At that elevation there was 1-2ft dependent on location. I’m pretty new to the hunting scene but a long time wildlife viewing enthusiast. We have in the past routinely seen many animals this time of year. The drought is something I didn’t consider though.

Honestly I have not got into contact with anyone as of yet. I am hoping to arm myself with some more knowledge first. (Probably should have done this before posting here)
I am definitely guilty of firing off after a long trip with very little to show except disappointment.

It wasn’t my intention to blast odfw. I feel ashamed for my part in this issue as well. I definitely have not done my part as a hunter with populations management. Until this trip, I would have never considered actively hunting predators except bear.

Flyjunky

WKR
Were you able to get in contact with any of the managing agencies to let them know what you saw and how you felt about it?
In Oregon it doesn't matter what you say to ODFW, they do what they are told and public input is just a nuisance to them.

squirrel

WKR
Here in CO we are inundated with deer. Population counts are through the roof with bonus tags trying to remove the excess. The more we shoot the higher the counts go, therefore necessitating the printing of even more tags. These deer can only be seen from a helicopter and are very light-footed. So light on their feet they do not even leave indentations in the snow, this trait will be handy when the wolves get dumped on them soon as they will scamper across the deep snow with ease and the wolves will flounder around until they decide to just go eat a cow down below.

nphunter

WKR
Lots of deer and elk are still in transition areas, there is not much snow in the woods yet and animals prefer cover as long as they can live in it. They won’t be out running around in the open until they have to.

Anthony Lakes only has 26” of snow, much of the lower elevation country just has enough to make it white. We don’t have migrating herds like Idaho where thousands of deer migrate to the Boise front every year.

Most of the units in the NE corner have had deer tags cut significantly and archery all went to draw so there is effort being made to help the deer herd. Numbers are better than they have been since 2017 when we had the bad winter. Elk are as thick as ever.

WCB

WKR
Not disagreeing with what you are saying but my sisters ranch in MT is a major wintering ground for deer and antelope. They have a fraction of what they normally have. But about 10 miles away the deer and goats are loaded up where they had been all summer due to the drought. They never got the migration (or at least haven't yet). Might just be they are not using the traditional areas this year. I have seen it before in ND also where you always see a couple hundred deer in the same couple sections every winter. For whatever reason one odd year they were about 5-6 miles away.