why no waterproof pack?

Thought I'd chime in and reiterate Larry's and others' suggestions.

I often do early season wilderness canoe trips. That means that I'm frequently in some pretty good rain. Couple that with the fact that the water tends to be high from melt, making some phenomenal water to run which is too alluring to portage around and you end up with a pack that is lying down in the bottom of a canoe horizontally, getting poured on and sloshing around in water that was shipped while shooting some rapids.

Nothing is perfect.

I use Nikwax on my packs, inside and out, avoiding straps and pads. I put a contractor bag inside the pack that serves other purposes in camp as well. And I use dry bags. Pack is often hung upside down under a tarp or tent to drip dry.

Works well, with little weight penalty, but some extra packing.

KHNC

WKR
I just bought a Paradox Unaweep 4800. Looking forward to putting it to use in a few weeks on my Wyoming muley/antelope hunt. Kevin_t and Rockchucker were both very helpful in my decision about which pack to buy. I added the Hydration Talon as well. All in multi-cam.

Sold my eberlestock in 5 mins of trying yesterday. Should be GTG now!

Last edited:
Are Stone Glacier packs not also made of X-Pac?

Negative. The frame fabric and the back and bottom on the bags are Xpac, but the remainder is a coated cordura. Coated cordura is water resistant, and will hold it out for a long time, but isn't technically water proof. Not really sure I would want a completely waterproof pack. It's nice if the inside can actually dry out when it quits.

At this point in the day, it had been raining for two hours. Inside of pack was still dry but since everything was either water proof or packed in dry sacks, it wasn't a big deal either way.

Yk