Why not 7mm-08?

Hi all. First post here.

I know we have a natural inclination toward new things, but I'm wondering why the 7mm-08 is not more popular among hunters for medium game. Cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor are extremely popular, but (from my research) the 7mm-08 actually outperforms it in a lot of aspects (except -maybe- precision grouping) I'm reading that it generally has less drop, more energy, and I can make shells for it out of 308, 243, or even 30-06 easily... there are tons of bullet options for it... etc.

Why are people raving about hunting with a Creedmoor, when we have cartridges like the 7-08?

Not wanting to start an endless debate. But are there any other people thinking the same way I am?

Ram94

WKR
And you have the ability to shoot heavier 160-180 class bullets. Very overlooked cartridge with how much performance can be had with very little recoil.

OP
R
Oh good. Good to know I'm not crazy... or if I am, I'm not the only one. Haha.

I also like that I can get good performance out of a short barrel with the 7mm-08. I hunted this year using a handy rifle with a 18.5" barrel, which doesn't really cost me much performance with that cartridge. Other cartridges lose a lot more with shorter barrels.

Also a huge fan. 7mm08 Is no joke and the recent rage over the Creedmoor is fairly new. Prior to that their was an equal rage for the 7mm08. I'd take it elk hunting but I have a 7mm rem mag that goes with me now

OP
R
Nice. Thanks for the replies. I remember as a kid, hearing the 7-08 talked about as a puny, underpowered version of the 308. Deer hunters used 30-06, 308, or, ironically, the 243. But 7mm-08 was a child's cartridge...

Not sure where these myths generate...

Hi all. First post here.

I know we have a natural inclination toward new things, but I'm wondering why the 7mm-08 is not more popular among hunters for medium game. Cartridges like 6.5 Creedmoor are extremely popular, but (from my research) the 7mm-08 actually outperforms it in a lot of aspects (except -maybe- precision grouping) I'm reading that it generally has less drop, more energy, and I can make shells for it out of 308, 243, or even 30-06 easily... there are tons of bullet options for it... etc.

Why are people raving about hunting with a Creedmoor, when we have cartridges like the 7-08?

Not wanting to start an endless debate. But are there any other people thinking the same way I am?
Comparing the 2 on game is seriously splitting hairs… I like both… have killed quite a few critters with both, and seen a bunch more killed with both including several elk

I think factory ammo options are better with the creed, but again, splitting hairs

The creed got popular in a trendy way, it’s not because it’s a better cartridge. Due to the creedmoor popularity, there are more ammo choices and rifle options, but both are great cartridges, and easy to shoot.

I personally irrationally prefer the creed, from little personal experiences that likely had nothing to do with the cartridge and everything to do with the particular situations… can’t go wrong with either.

I have no reason to go bigger than either of those for the rifle hunting I do, and both are what I would consider perfect blacktail cartridges, which is my primary rifle needs (as well as black bear which are just as soft as deer)

I always wanted a man bun and a pair of skinny jeans so the creed was my best option… I have had 3 7-08 as well, and like them a lot too

Nice. Thanks for the replies. I remember as a kid, hearing the 7-08 talked about as a puny, underpowered version of the 308. Deer hunters used 30-06, 308, or, ironically, the 243. But 7mm-08 was a child's cartridge...

Not sure where these myths generate...
It’s not a child’s cartridge, we always called them the perfect “girlfriend gun” 😉

Maverick1

WKR
Hi all. First post here.

Welcome.

For medium sized game at reasonable distances all the calibers you listed will be sufficient, including the 7mm-08

I agree with the guys above. The 6.5 is so “superior” to other calibers because the bullet companies and the rifle manufacturers teamed up and spent millions in research and advertising.
They produced some great bullet options and then started making production barrels that could handle them. Try to find the same diversity in .257. They are pushing 1 caliber at a time so guys like us buy more of them. 6.5s were popular in Europe for a long time, definitely less known and used in the US. So there you go, a market. You can see it happening again with the 6.8. Only Jack O’Connor would have thought that 270 caliber works right?
Guys love to debate calibers, trucks, blondes vs brunettes, but there is a minuscule difference between the 7mm-08 and 6.5CM.
Shoot 1/4in. MOA with either of them and I’ll bet you won’t be disappointed.

Rich M

WKR
One of the first things I did when researching a new rifle was to see what ammo was easily available and what the majority of the rifles were manufactured in. Turned out that 7mm-08 was not an easy ammo for me to get. great caliber tho.

Ultimately ended up with 350 Legend and like it. Not looking to shoot past 300 yards anyway.

Ram94

WKR
One of the first things I did when researching a new rifle was to see what ammo was easily available and what the majority of the rifles were manufactured in. Turned out that 7mm-08 was not an easy ammo for me to get. great caliber tho.

Ultimately ended up with 350 Legend and like it. Not looking to shoot past 300 yards anyway.
You’re telling me you have more access to 350 Legend ammo than 7mm-08?? Where do you live? Haha

z987k

WKR
Because the saami spec'd twist rate on the 7mm is a bit slow.

With a custom barrel, the 7mm08 is better imo.

OP
R
I always wanted a man bun and a pair of skinny jeans so the creed was my best option… I have had 3 7-08 as well, and like them a lot too

It’s not a child’s cartridge, we always called them the perfect “girlfriend gun” 😉

Ouch! So I have to choose between the "skinny jeans, man-bun" 6.5 CM or the "girlfriend gun" 7mm-08?
Haha. Maybe I'll just go back to thinking I'm crazy.

woods89

WKR
The advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor is that the chamber and throat are designed to use long, high BC bullets in typical short action magazines, without having to seat so far in the case.
I could happily kill a lot of stuff with a 260 or 7mm-08, but both of those benefit from magazines longer than 2.820, in my opinion.
I'm far from an expert, though. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

It's a great round for medium sized game. Go for it.

My buddy had one and killed plenty of deer with it. It was also extremely accurate.

Ouch! So I have to choose between the "skinny jeans, man-bun" 6.5 CM or the "girlfriend gun" 7mm-08?
Haha. Maybe I'll just go back to thinking I'm crazy.
makes it that much better knocking stuff down with either cartridge with the stereotypes attached ;) results can't be argued without delusion, especially as the critters pile up with zero drama. they are 2 of my favorites to shoot and hunt with.... i have nothing to prove and in the vast majority of hunting situations, no animal can tell the difference between a magnum 30 cal or a 6.5mm through the lungs.... besides one lion, i can't recall anything making it out of sight with either between the stuff i have killed and the animals i have watched killed with both... i have seen both break bone on elk you wouldn't think those cartridges could break.... of course neither are magic, but the stuff you read about either lacking horsepower, i have not seen in real life.... i have seen the opposite, both being more impressive than expected.

if you read the .223 thread in full, i guess it makes sense and puts things in better perspective.... rifle hunting in general is a fairly new thing to me, hunted everything with a bow until about 12 years ago, so i naturally didn't buy the stereotypes i have read seeing the damage an arrow is capable of, and the crazy amount of energy increase you get with even a small centerfire cartridge. the 7-08 is a great all around cartridge at any common hunting ranges for anything in this country. if you are shooting elk past 500yds on a regular basis, i think there are better options, but for about everything else, carrying a lightweight 6.5cm or 7-08 that is easy to shoot as much as you want prone (or any other shooting position) will be my pick every day... even my 7mag sucked to shoot prone after about 30 rounds, then if you want to shoot more the next couple days, you start off the shooting session sore.... nothing ever good comes of that.... the pea shooters have no consequences pulling the trigger, don't need to be braked to be pleasant to shoot, and kill just fine.