Why not 7mm-08?

nksmfamjp

FNG
If I were building a lightweight Montana hunting rifle, this would be top 5.

fast twist 270 win
280 ai
7-08
6.5x55
6.5x284

im trying to hold off on this kind of build because I really want to focus on hunting open spaces and long range for now

Hoodie

WKR
It's a fine all around cartridge for almost anything in North America.

People like the 6.5 for a slight edge in B.C. and there's more factory ammo options. That's pretty much it.

OP
R
Yeah, I put my daughter behind it for her first deer. 217 yards. Smacked it! I've been very happy with it.

rootacres

WKR
Big fan of the 7. I ended up going 7 SAUM ultimately.

I think it gets overlooked quite a bit. For a few reasons, first being the popularity of the 30s. The 30-06 is where many started, then there was the 308 and the 300 win mag. Maybe its a generational thing.

Second, we all like the new shiny things. And that was the 6.5 creedmore, then 6.5 PRC. Bullet manufactures jumped onboard quick. Marketing campaigns started rolling and it drove sales in the industry. Now rifle/bullet companies have all but exhausted the 6.5 so shocker now we have the 6.8 Western, .277 Fury, 27 NOS etc. Marketing campaigns are now surrounding these new 6.8/.277 cal bullets and cartridges. It drives sales in the industry.

Im hoping once the dust settles we get a new 7mm. Like a 7mm PRC or 7mm Western designed around the newer high BC bullets.

RS3579

WKR
2021 was my 1st year shooting a 7mm-08. It was a Savage LW Storm. It is a perfect caliber for all of my whitetail/bear needs. I’ll definitely be carrying it more of time. Welcome!

Fordguy

WKR
You’re telling me you have more access to 350 Legend ammo than 7mm-08?? Where do you live? Haha
Not sure where Rich lives, but I haven't seen 7-08 in a long time (months). Most weeks I can find several mfgs and bullet weights in 350 legend. Walmart has it regularly, and so does academy. That's as much of a location clue as I'm offering.

2 things from this thread, to the OP don’t try to reload 7mm-08 out of .30-06 shells
Also every sporting goods store I walk into seems to have .350 legend ammo right now, but I haven’t seen 7mm-08 rounds in so long I forgot the caliber exists before this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I think the 350 Legend ammo availability is due to lower demand. Same thing in my area... you can find all kinds of 6.8 Western ammo, simply because so few folks have a rifle chambered in it yet.

7-08 has been around for a long time. I got one in a youth rifle for my son, and then a second one in a bigger rifle. I ended up shooting several caribou with it. It just did a great job without beating me up in the process.

The advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor is that the chamber and throat are designed to use long, high BC bullets in typical short action magazines, without having to seat so far in the case.
I could happily kill a lot of stuff with a 260 or 7mm-08, but both of those benefit from magazines longer than 2.820, in my opinion.
I'm far from an expert, though. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
This...

Shoot 140gr+ in a 7mm08 and lose either case capacity, or the ability to use a typical short action. 6.5 red rocket is optimized for the 2.8" magazine. As much hate as it gets, it is a very well thought out cartridge- particularly for non handloaders... the hype is annoying, but it just works

Ram94

WKR
I think the 350 Legend ammo availability is due to lower demand. Same thing in my area... you can find all kinds of 6.8 Western ammo, simply because so few folks have a rifle chambered in it yet.

7-08 has been around for a long time. I got one in a youth rifle for my son, and then a second one in a bigger rifle. I ended up shooting several caribou with it. It just did a great job without beating me up in the process.
That’s probably 100% the case. I don’t personally know anyone up here that owns a 350 Legend and it’s not something I see on the shelves.

6.5 in the US is due to marketing. The 6, 6.5 and 7 have been widely used in Europe for decades. Partially due to some countries not allowing military ammunition to be used by citizens. W.D.M Bell used 6.5x54, but gave it up due to faulty ammunition. He preferred 7x57 with 175 gr., long bullets over big bores. These were for elephant hunting with brain shots and mostly with solids. Low recoil and precise accuracy were his reasoning.

The 6.8 naming surge I think is partially due to the 6.5 name catching fire. Why not call it a .255 cal?

Firehawk

WKR
We have killed muleys, antelope and a few elk with our 7mm-08s. When I built my first one, I transformed a Winchester Model 70 Westerner .243 into a 7mm-08. It is an absolute tack driver. Then my son earned a Browning ABolt in 7mm-08 by earning his Eagle Scout. It is also an absolute tack driver. I changed the trigger spring with the Timney kit and it is awesome. Then I picked up a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08. Guess what? It is an absolute tack driver as well. My second son took over my Winchester Model 70 7mm-08 when he earned his Eagle Scout award and so I now use the Tikka. I also have a shorter stock for the Tikka that has been awesome for my daughters as they have learned to shoot and hunt. Two elk, two antelope, and a couple of deer have fallen to the Tikka.

When I rebarreled my Winchester Westerner in the 90s, people told me I was crazy. They were shocked I would give up a .243 to shoot a "new" weird cartridge. At the time, I was the only person I knew who owned one. Soon I discovered a neighbor of mine had a little Model 7 in 7-08 and it was easy to load up and I watched it kill a buck and a spike bull. Then my other buddy bought one in a Kimber Montana. That rifle is so light and handy. What a cool rifle.

Anyway, it has grown a lot in popularity around here in Utah. I think they have permanently found a following and will certainly be in our house as long as I am alive.

FH

This...

Shoot 140gr+ in a 7mm08 and lose either case capacity, or the ability to use a typical short action. 6.5 red rocket is optimized for the 2.8" magazine. As much hate as it gets, it is a very well thought out cartridge- particularly for non handloaders... the hype is annoying, but it just works
So this is always where you guys get me scratching my head - tell me where you need to shoot something heavier out of a 7MM-08 to kill stuff??? I shoot mostly 120 grain Ballistic Tips and stuff dies when I hit it, I just don't see why it would tip over any quicker if I was shooting a 160+ or whatever grain bullet.

I'm a pretty basic hunter but I know stuff dies when I hit it, but I guess I also don't expect a 7MM-08 to be a 700 yard gun ;)

So this is always where you guys get me scratching my head - tell me where you need to shoot something heavier out of a 7MM-08 to kill stuff??? I shoot mostly 120 grain Ballistic Tips and stuff dies when I hit it, I just don't see why it would tip over any quicker if I was shooting a 160+ or whatever grain bullet.

I'm a pretty basic hunter but I know stuff dies when I hit it, but I guess I also don't expect a 7MM-08 to be a 700 yard gun ;)
Totally agree... I still like a .243 with 100gr partitions to hunt most anything with - or 257wby with 100gr ttsx. But you can't argue that the 6.5 dooshmoor is a great cartridge??

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
You’re telling me you have more access to 350 Legend ammo than 7mm-08?? Where do you live? Haha
I'm in NW Arkansas and haven't seen 7mm08 in nearly 18 months of looking locally. Ive never not seen 350 legend. About 2/3 of the time I see 6.8W ammo on the otherwise empty shelves.
Thankfully it's veeeeerrrryyyy SLLLLOOOOWWWWWLY coming back.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP - you are on the wrong forums my friend.
Due to it's popularity with Randy Newberg the 7mm-08 is know as the 7mm HuntTalk on another forum.

Nice Pilsner, I like it. Real question is though…
The 20-sometings from Go Hunt.Com that cumulatively killed almost enough elk to count with 1 hand… what do they think of the 7mm-08 vs. 6.5CM debate?
I think as long as you buy 1 of those little neoprene bullet holders that hold 2 bullets on your stock. You’re good to go.
Next, let’s talk about cutting 4.2oz from our pack weight while being 25lbs overweight.

Ram94

WKR

A 162gr eldm out of a 7mm08 will still be packing a punch at 500 yards. Not so much with the 120gr. Also does better in the wind. Inside 300 yards or so though, there’d be no reason to shoot a heavy.

A 162gr eldm out of a 7mm08 will still be packing a punch at 500 yards. Not so much with the 120gr. Also does better in the wind. Inside 300 yards or so though, there’d be no reason to shoot a heavy.
Let me preface this with I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I've killed a truckload+ of deer and antelope out to 400 yards, many in Wyoming wind and all died when hit with the 120 grain BT. I just haven't had to shoot a 162 in a 7mm08 😉