Why not 7mm-08?

This...

Shoot 140gr+ in a 7mm08 and lose either case capacity, or the ability to use a typical short action. 6.5 red rocket is optimized for the 2.8" magazine. As much hate as it gets, it is a very well thought out cartridge- particularly for non handloaders... the hype is annoying, but it just works
Agree, and that is what people lose sight of. It is designed to take advantage of high BC, long bullets and it works. it is not all hype. But what some also lose sight of is that doesn’t make much to any difference until you are out past 500-600 yards. Where the 6.5 shines is as long range target cartridge. As a hunting cartridge, it is just one of many good medium game cartridges. Inside 500 yards, the 7mm-08, for the most part, has the ballistic advantage. But it is so slight it is insignificant. Bullet choice is a bigger factor in killing game than the cartridge. Both will kill just fine in their lethal range limits. For me, I like the 7mm-08 because I feel better about stepping up to bigger game with it if I want. Elk, Caribou, even moose. I have a perfectly good 30-06 for that though.

OP
R
Nice. Sounds like I've just been hearing from the wrong people.
I'm a fairly new hunter, and I just don't have the desire (or finances) to try every new thing. I just want something that works. Sounds like I already have it! I'll keep loading up my Interlocks and SST's and go hunting!

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface this with I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I've killed a truckload+ of deer and antelope out to 400 yards, many in Wyoming wind and all died when hit with the 120 grain BT. I just haven't had to shoot a 162 in a 7mm08 😉
This warms my black little heart. The 120 ballistic tip in the 7-08 is a mighty little bastard. Since you seem like a guy that spends more time out in the weeds killing food than sitting in front of a computer having a spiritual crisis over ballistic coefficients, take a look at the speer 130 hot cor if you ever run out of noslers. it's an underrated slayer in the medium 7mms and the only bullet I ran out of my last 284 win. I went with 150 ballistic tips this year in my 7-08 because I had a bunch. Performed flawlessly on a cow elk at 50 yards and an antelope at 420. Going on past experiences with 120's I think I would have had the same result using that bullet. 160s are the cats azz in the 280, 7-08 really shines in the 120-150 range.

Jon Boy

WKR
We've killed a pile with 7/08. 90% or so of a 7 mag in a reloaders hands. Had a number of factory Tikkas spitting 162 eldms at 2750. 600 and 700 yard kills on bull elk and mule bucks. By far smashing 6.5 creeds with 147s down range. Had a custom throated for the 180 eldms spitting those at 2650. Bc and down range performance was incredible. But now that my hunting has moved to the timber I've switched gears. However the 7/08 will always have a soft spot with me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
The more you learn about cartridges, the more you'll realize they are far more similar than different in the hands of 99% of shooters.

7mm08 is one mean little round, and arguably the "best" deer cartridge ever designed.

The entire .308 family is bad to the bone! Buy with confidence and start stackin'

Never hunted elk. Are they much tougher than a typical whitetail?
I would love to answer that, however I just wanted to ask if you were putting that out there for some humor as it's early morning and my coffee hasn't set in yet.

Last edited:
OP
R
I would love to answer that, however I just wanted to ask if you were putting that out there for some humor as it's early morning and my coffee hasn't set in yet.

Haha. Well, I know they are gonna be tougher... I guess I'm asking, Is there a great enough difference to make ethical kills on elk harder with something like the 7mm-08 than they would be on deer?

Haha. Well, I know they are gonna be tougher... I guess I'm asking, Is there a great enough difference to make ethical kills on elk harder with something like the 7mm-08 than they would be on deer?
Heck no, just know the range parameters with respect to carrying velocity to open the bullet and having enough momentum to penetrate and reach the vitals.

Keep in mind, the 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag for example, can shoot the same bullets. At some point, a 7mm Rem Mag has slowed down (at some longer range) to the same speed a 7mm-08 is going at "shorter" range. It's the velocity to expand and ability to penetrate when it gets there that matters, the bullet cares not what cartridge it's launched from.

Last edited:
My kids and I have killed a bundle of whitetails with a model 7 in 7-08. 140 grain partitions knock em dead. Nice light gun to carry. Since seeing the results from this rifle several friends are using them as well.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Florida as well and I see the same as well. No 7mm-08 on the shelves but plenty of 350. That round doesn’t even make sense to me in the southeast. I guess that’s why it’s still on the shelf.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
350 legend is a straight wall cartridge I believe--much of the eastern midwest and mid atlantic has limited gun hunting to shotguns or straight wall cartridges, so guessing there is a lot more demand for that stuff than folks from other parts of the country are aware of. Given we have no restriction where I live or anywhere I hunt I dont really ever see the straight wall cartridges. Not sure I know anyone who owns a gun chambered for one.

Bought my wife a 7-08 a bunch of years ago when she started hunting. My brother bought one right after that. Between the two of them, I liked it so much I bought one too. stuff seems to fall down when I shoot it, so no reason to complain, and I am past trying to prove anything so a girls or kids gun is just fine with me. I've never had any reason whatsoever to shoot an animal past 300-400 yards so I've never felt undergunned with my 7-08.

Also own a 6.5cm for PRS. Really the reason I chose that caliber had nothing at all to do with ballistics, it was simply that with every jill, harry, shiela and george toting one around it's much, much, much, MUCH easier to find inexpensive ammo to practice with than any of the other calibers I was considering, and if for some reason someone runs out of ammo or forgets at a match I can swap with nearly anyone there in a pinch. Maybe someday I'll decide i need to shoot a critter at ranges past 3-400yds, but until that day comes I dont think it makes any sense to worry about the minutia of ballistics between very similar cartridges like 7-08 and 6.5cm. My two guns would be wholly redundant except one weighs literally double what the other does and isnt much fun to tote around all day, and the other is light-enough that even in a supposed "girls cartridge" the cumulative recoil of 100+ rounds over a couple hours is pretty unpleasant. Edit: above statement is intended to say that in a 9lb rifle (or a 16lb rifle like my prs gun) 7-08 may be a tame cartridge to shoot as per reputation, but like anything else, put it in a very light weight package and it recoils just as hard as cartridges with a far more formidable reputation. I cant shoot 100 rounds through my little tikka without feeling pretty battered… maybe I’m just wimpier than your average girl.

I've never had a problem finding 7-08, mostly because I only really hunt with it so I only need a few rounds/year outside of some practice but I still buy as much as I can afford. I think I have a couple years worth, so unless this shortage lasts another 3 years I'll be fine. I worry a lot more about being able to buy 1000+ rounds a year of 6.5 at something less than extortionist prices.

Last edited:

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use my 25.06 for WT, it was a killing machine. I had impressive results with the 100gr TTSX. I wanted to try a short action, so I picked up a used Finnlight in 7-08. The benefits are definitely the magazine capacity (5), low recoil and a fairly good selection of bullets. This year in Alberta I used it to shoot a buck and a doe, I used 140gr TTSX. Next time I will use 120's for a bit more speed. I think it gets less fan fair because it quietly does the job. I would love to see the case ackley improved, for just a smidge more case capacity.

they aren't the rhino with antlers many make them out to be.... like bear, if your first shot isn't in the vitals, they can seem really tough, but place that first bullet well, and they die quick with no hassle. the beauty of the 7-08, if you stay within your ability, it' easy to place that first round well. they are also easy to shoot a lot of rounds through in the off season, there is no consequences pulling the trigger, you can lay prone and shoot all day with a 7-08, and then do the same thing the next day.... and then kill an elk with no drama the next day.... i value that.

i don't personally rifle hunt elk, but if i did, living where i live, i wouldn't feel like i needed a new rifle to hunt elk if i owned a 7-08, and wouldn't want to pack a different rifle if i had a nice, light, balanced 7-08. i see quite a few killed with a rifle, and the vast majority have been non magnums (308, 270, 7-08, 6.5creed/prc) and would be content with any of them elk hunting

6x6CoElk

FNG
It’s not a child’s cartridge, we always called them the perfect “girlfriend gun” 😉
I actually just purchased my first 7-08 for my best girlfriend who happens to be my wife as well. After many whitetail harvests with a 243, she finally decided she was ready for a light step up. Hope it works out for her for my sake.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 7mm-08 for my wife and would do the same again. We are in Alaska and moose is on the menu (no luck yet). I feel a 160gr 7mm bullet provides a little more insurance than a 140gr 6.5mm bullet at similar velocities. She has only killed a caribou with it so far and it did the job more than adequately.