Why NOT a Tikka?

I know people love these guns and I'm thinking about picking up a T3X Lite. Just wondering if there's anything similar at a similar price point that might tempt me. I want something under 6.8 pounds, nicer than the Ruger American/Savage Axis tier, synthetic stock. Don't need stainless.

OP
F
Probably not unless you can find a Vanguard Wilderness (not camilla wilderness) in your area or on gunbroker.
Looks pretty sweet. Forgot to mention I don't want to go over 22" but I could probably live with it or just chop it down.

What's the deal with the Camilla version? I know it's a "women's rifle" but what does that actually mean, shorter LOP?

The only reason not to get a Tikka is they are boring. But you probably won’t find a better value.

You could get a Savage LWH for about the same $ that weighs 5.5 pounds AND has a nice wood stock.

SDHNTR

WKR
Why not? OK, since you asked... Plastic abounds! Stock, magazine and bottom metal. Works, but feels exactly like it is, cheap. One action length, long, again because... cheap. So if you want a .308 or Creed or similar short action round, tuff titties, you get to feed it though a long action receiver. Odd ball floating recoil lug too. Some like it, some don't. Makes working on them a bit tricky.

So you get a cost effective rifle that works reliably and is generally quite accurate out of the box. But, if you're one, like me, who appreciates the feel and fit and finish of good craftmanship, you're going to be disappointed. Seems you are probably aware of that though, and that costs more money.

The good news is, there are lots of aftermarket part to improve them. Stocks, and bottom metal and such. Of course, by the time you factor the cost of those upgrades in, you could've bought a nice rifle to begin with, so factor costly potential upgrades into future cost, if you're the type that likes nice chit.

If not, and you just want a basic tool that goes bang and hits what you aim at, rock on with a TIkka.

sndmn11

WKR
Looks pretty sweet. Forgot to mention I don't want to go over 22" but I could probably live with it or just chop it down.

What's the deal with the Camilla version? I know it's a "women's rifle" but what does that actually mean, shorter LOP?

The drop at the comb and drop at the butt is a little different, in addition to the LOP. My wife has a wood stock version and it is comfortable to shoot. Weatherby doesn't make any fluted barrel Vanguards anymore, so her 20" barreled rifle weighs slightly more than my 24" Wilderness due to barrel contour and fluting.

The camilla wilderness should still be 6.5-6.75lbs if it is your cup of tea. The other model of rifle we have in the house is a Tikka T3 and there's no reason you should not get one other than small preferences like a two position safety or action/magazine length quibbles.

I know people love these guns and I'm thinking about picking up a T3X Lite. Just wondering if there's anything similar at a similar price point that might tempt me. I want something under 6.8 pounds, nicer than the Ruger American/Savage Axis tier, synthetic stock. Don't need stainless.
What cartridge?

ID_Matt

WKR
One action length, long, again because... cheap. So if you want a .308 or Creed or similar short action round, tuff titties, you get to feed it though a long action receiver.

What is the downside of this? They still have shorter bolt stops and mag spacers so it isn't like you are throwing the bolt the length of a long action? I think it is a benefit because you can change out the bolt stop if you ever want to rebarrel to something larger or vice versa. Only downside I can think of is maybe some weight penalty?

SDHNTR

WKR
What is the downside of this? They still have shorter bolt stops and mag spacers so it isn't like you are throwing the bolt the length of a long action? I think it is a benefit because you can change out the bolt stop if you ever want to rebarrel to something larger or vice versa. Only downside I can think of is maybe some weight penalty?
Weight and length. And just cause. In my conceptual brain, stuff should be built to fit the application, not all applications. That's just my take though.

They are a Finnish company - warranty work is a PITA if you ever need it. Thats why most guys will just rebarrel if they are having accuracy issues.

If you are a tinkerer, chances are you will get tired of the way the stock “feels” and you will drop $$$ on a stock. While you are at it you will go with metal for the bottom metal because, why not. When it is all said and done, you will have $1500-1800 in your $800-1000 tikka and it want shoot any better because it started out shooting pretty damn good. So you will put a carbon barrel on it and push it close to $3k and it still will only shoot about as good as it did when you bought it for $800, which is pretty good but frustrating because you just blew $2k and it doesn’t shoot any better but at least it doesn’t feel cheap anymore.

or maybe that is just me. I am about half through that little journey and enjoying it.

In that price range, the only other rifle that I like as much is the kimber hunter, but only if you are leaving it bone stock…

If you may want to tinker later, the tikka is king imo

SDHNTR

WKR
If you are a tinkerer, chances are you will get tired of the way the stock “feels” and you will drop $$$ on a stock. While you are at it you will go with metal for the bottom metal because, why not. When it is all said and done, you will have $1500-1800 in your $800-1000 tikka and it want shoot any better because it started out shooting pretty damn good. So you will put a carbon barrel on it and push it close to $3k and it still will only shoot about as good as it did when you bought it for $800, which is pretty good but frustrating because you just blew $2k and it doesn’t shoot any better but at least it doesn’t feel cheap anymore.

or maybe that is just me. I am about half through that little journey and enjoying it.
This is spot on.

Gorp2007

WKR

And to "save some money" you'll get a barrel vise and an action wrench so you can do the work yourself. Then pretty soon you've got a safe full of factory take-offs that you snatched off the classifieds because they were a good deal.

ID_Matt

WKR
Weight and length. And just cause. In my conceptual brain, stuff should be built to fit the application, not all applications. That's just my take though.
I get that, but on the other hand the "built to fit" can be a detriment in some platforms. Take for instance a 300 WSM or a 6.5 PRC on a rem 700 short action type (bergara,christensen, etc.) - pretty dang limited outside of factory ammo. If it was a tikka you have the option of running it short or spending $70 to run handloads and heavy bullets.