Why not Savage?

Zbowman1

WKR
I am looking at a new Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 win. I have never considered Savage as one of the upper echelon non-custom gun makers but.... after a few recommendations form friends that I trust and are avid long range shooters I am really considering one.

Here's were I am at. I don't do a lot of shooting but I am proficient with all my rifles out to 300 yards. (2" groups or better) LOL, I am sure some of you won't think that proficient. The largest rifle that I own is a 280 Rem. I am a pussy when it comes to recoil. I don't reload (yet) I have a couple buddy's that work in the gun industry that can get me great deals on savage rifles. I would like to increase my effective range to around 500-600 yds.(for Elk) At this point I will use it primarily for hunting but could see getting into long range shooting in the future.

So to all you guys/gals, Savage Fanboys or not. Tell me what you like about them and what you don't. Any other cal. rifle combo I should consider?
Price is a bit of a factor but I could go to 1,200-1,300$ for the right gun. At the ranges I am talking about can I justify spending double the amount I would pay for the Savage.

I am sure this topic has been beat to death so my apologies in advance.

They are clunkers, but the ones that I have owned/own can shoot! I have a LRP 260 that shoots as well as my custom Rem700 260...

Spend the money on optics and a stock that fits you well and is stable. 300WM or 7WM will easily get you to 5-600 or even further. I would also recommend a good muzzle brake...

And no, I couldn't justify spending big money to get to 5 or 600 yards, but once you get comfortable there, you will want to go further!:)

Shrek

WKR
Right out of the box they are ready to shoot after adjusting the trigger and cleaning the preservitive off. They generally shoot very well. Downside is they are not pretty rifles , not the most polished finish . Another big upside is being able to change barrels without a smith . The accutrigger is pretty good and the long range hunter I think comes with an adjustable cheek stock. They have the fastest lock times from the factory also .I would listen to Sam about the scope . I've owned a half dozen savage rifles and they all shot well , even the cheapest Walmart special model 10 I had was a lights out shooter.
Get the long range hunter and a really nice scope and get started. Add a brake when you can and a custom barrel down the road . A Manners stock bedded when you can. Add some custom home paint , you won't feel bad because it doesn't have a super finish to start with. The rifle will shoot as it comes and is a great base to customize on. Take some of the money and get started loading. Hard times to start loading though with the lack of components.

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Thanks for the comments, The long range hunter comes with an adjustable break. You can open it for bench shooting and close it for hunting which is one of the things I really like about it. Are you guys saying replace it with a better break or were you just not aware that it came with one? As fair as reloading I live about 1 mile form ATK headquarters and have lots of friends there so I won't have a problem getting components ;) I have been thinking about doing this anyways.

Who else.

Thanks for the comments, The long range hunter comes with an adjustable break. You can open it for bench shooting and close it for hunting which is one of the things I really like about it. Are you guys saying replace it with a better break or were you just not aware that it came with one? As fair as reloading I live about 1 mile form ATK headquarters and have lots of friends there so I won't have a problem getting components ;) I have been thinking about doing this anyways.

Who else.

You're in Lewiston? My thoughts echo the posts above. Talk to me about a custom build when you're ready... I bet it won't be too far down the road :)

Mike

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
You're in Lewiston? My thoughts echo the posts above. Talk to me about a custom build when you're ready... I bet it won't be too far down the road :)

Mike

MIke I have read though lot of your post and I would love to get into one of your rifles its just not in the cards right now. Do you guys have a store front here in Lewiston? Would love to pick your brain for awhile.

I have been reading bad things about the 300 WM in the Long Range hunter on some other forums. For some reason it seems to only be the 300 WM. My stap father also just bought one about the same time I bought my Savage 110 FCP in 300 WM. He is having a hard time finding a good load. I would check into the 110 FCP if I was you. It comes with a little heavier barrel which has it's ups and downs. It has an HS Precision stock with detachable magazine. Overall the fit and finish is a little nicer, but it also cost a bit more and doesn't have a muzzle break. I had one installed on mine.

300.jpg

Here is my 5 shot group at 100 YDS using 185 Berger Classic Hunters
group.jpg

Moe.JKU

FNG
Ill say go for it they are good rifles. I have the 116 ss weather warrior and it is a great shooter. This is my hunting rifle not a bench rifle but, i had nothing bad to say about Savage. Accutrigger is really easy to adjust, you can even cut a coil off to lighten it even more.

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Well boys, I did it. My buddy called me this morning and said he just put the order in for the Long Range Hunter in 300wm. I should have called him last night but it was so late by the time I got your message Jarhead I didn't want to call. No big deal though, if its not a shooter I can always sell it. I will defiantly my money back on it for the price he got me. I also ordered a Nightforce picatinny base for it but not the rings. Not sure what I will do for a scope yet. 1" or 30mm. Any recordation's? For now I am going to strap a 4-12 vx2 on it that i have lying around with a set of cheaper Weaver rings just so I can shoot some rounds through it at the range.

Remember, This all started because I wanted a 500yd hunting rifle. I think my buddy thinks he is going to turn me into a long range shooter. (he might ;-)c

Last edited:

hunting1

WKR
I like my VX 3 3.5-10 with target turrets. That is what is on my 300 in the picture. 500 is easy to do and I ordered a custom dial with zero stop. I don't like 30mm on my hunting rifles, just me, but do have them on my target/ tactic oil rifles.

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Thanks Jarhead. I acutely found and read that entire thread. Just keeping my figures crossed at this point. Sounded to me like some of them come like this and some don't. Just hoping I get a good one.

I will post a review of the gun and the processes I went though to get those results in a couple of weeks after I get some range time with it.

Zack