Why oh why oh WYO Antelope....

amp713

WKR
Ok so I'm thinking an anterlope archery tag in Wyo would be fun! I have a few friends who go every few years. $300 for a buck tag and they were paying $35 for doe tags to go along with it. Killing a few animals in one trip sounds like a blast! One friend went near cody and one was closer to Casper. I was waiting for my eastmans to show up with the MRS so i could figre out where to put in for but it showed up and doesnt have any Speed goat break down!!! Anyone who can help me out with everything i need to know about it?? I know that Wyo likes to take all your money then refund if you dont draw but thats about all i know.... Any and all help is appreciated!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have no points so you have to look north and east. Units closer to us take a couple points to draw. What are your goals? I'd put in for a doe/fawn tag in a unit close to home like 99 or 95 and get a bonus point than hunt a left over unit if you just want to hunt. That way you can learn a unit closer and still hunt a buck

TEmbry

WKR
Ill be heading out for a zero point unit this fall myself! Be sure and apply for it as second choice to get a bonus point in addition to your tag.

There are a couple places south of me in casper that will allow you to "easily" draw. North is another story. Douglas has some too but it's mostly private. Watch the maps for public/private. If you want you can pm me.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I just want to get out. I have no intention of trophy hunting except here in Utah and my version of trophy here is 5 miles of hiking= 5x5 bull min. 6 miles+ =6x6 min I dont tend to hike back in as far for elk.... Muley is a 4x4 buck if its my general tag, if i draw pauns then we are going true trophy hunter status. Ill know in another 2 months!

I want a buck, would take extra does for meat if given the chance for sure! I just want a high population number, high amount of public land hunt. WyoBow i will shoot you a PM for sure! Real have you gone out?? TE what do you mean???? I dont think I'm smelling what you are stepping in........

Water hole or spot n stalk? Bow or gun?

What TEmbry said was to apply for a hard unit with your first choice and then a guranteed unit for your second choice. You will get a PP that way and get to hunt. Disregard if you plan to just get a leftover tag when you head up there.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Spot and stalk with a bow. Oh ok I get what you mean there. Do you get charged for both permits though?? And if i can find a high population unit with OTC tags i will just go that route!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point cost 30 I think than you would have to also pay for the left over tag and the archery permit if you choose to do it. All left over tag have a reason they are under subscribed mostly its due to the unit being mostly private. That's not to say there isn't opportunities there. You can draw almost half the state with just one point. I can't think of a close unit you can draw with no points you are in for a drive. If you never spot and stalk archery a doe can give you a challenge.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I have done some spot and stalk but not on a goat and sounds like i should put in!! Any input on areas with a kick ass public land to population ratio??

JWP58

WKR
If you're not dead set on a "trophy", you can pretty much go to any part of Wyoming that isn't a mountain and find speed goats. They are everywhere, seriously.

Folks around here don't call them range maggots for nothing. I haven't looked at the areas up north, but between Casper and Shoshoni there are a ton. Same goes for between Laramie and Casper, or Cheyenne to Douglas....or anywhere really.

Shrek

WKR
They're not kidding about the goats being everywhere. I just drove through Wyoming and I saw a couple hundred from the interstate. I haven't looked but does Wyoming have any otc tags for goats ?

weaver

WKR
They're not kidding about the goats being everywhere. I just drove through Wyoming and I saw a couple hundred from the interstate. I haven't looked but does Wyoming have any otc tags for goats ?

I don't think there's any otc tags but there are hundreds of leftovers. Usually for units with difficult public land access.

Shrek

WKR
Do ranchers and farmers in Wyoming consider pronghorn to be rats with horns like farmers in the south think of deer ? How hard is private land access ?

rodney482

WKR
Keep in mind the tag is good for bow or rifle, I like to go right at end of bow season and first 2 days of rifle.
you can also put in for special tag which cost an extra $200

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any input on areas with a kick ass public land to population ratio??

Doubt you'll find this unit with no points. Your in for a comprise of one or the other. Even with small chucks of public land you can have them all to yourself if you plan the right time. Example avoid first week and all weekends and the true biggie wait until deer season opens. Antelope are only popular when they are the only thing open

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Doubt you'll find this unit with no points. Your in for a comprise of one or the other. Even with small chucks of public land you can have them all to yourself if you plan the right time. Example avoid first week and all weekends and the true biggie wait until deer season opens. Antelope are only popular when they are the only thing open

Thats some info that i could put to use for sure! Might just have to go with a unit with any public land and good numbers.

I also knew they were everywhere from my friends experiences and my few small jaunts into WYO but i just havent figured out the hunting stand point of it yet ha

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
The more i look into this the more my head is spinning..... Who else has some helpful hints?

There is nothing hard about finding pronghorn in Wyoming. There is nothing overly difficult about spotting them, it's the stalking part with a bow that will be a challenge. I love the torture so I wouldn't have it any other way. You shouldn't find it too difficult to find huntable lopers in any unit that has tags. Just get a tag for somewhere relatively close to where you will be coming from, go for a few days and have fun.

If the area has some broken country in it, the stalking will be much easier... Where I hunt in Idaho it's wide open, which makes it a PITA to stalk them. Still fun though!

Use your glass, spot a buck and wait for him to make a mistake, then get on him. First and last light are your best chances, once I learned that everything started to come together.

Last edited:
OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks and i did some hammering down and got a hold of a guy who had done it and we talked for a long time about it and ive got it about dialed in! All thats missing is the application fees then i can get entered! Just waitin on a check...... Id say patiently but thats not true ha