Why should I get a .45?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Found a CVA Accura V2 LR local. Anyone have any experience with it?
They are over 8lbs bare and the 30" tube will gain you very little vs a 26" MRX. The CVA 45 barrels are also a bit on the large side. Over .452 so this can make sabotless selection more time consuming and the Harvester light blue will load very easy. They are .454 loaded OD so you will need around a .402 bullet to snug it up if you use sabots.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much do you think I would have to take out of the barrel channel on that stock to put a Paramount in it.
This Paramount pro looks to have 1 1/16 inch channel so it's going to take a bunch to open it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
For accuracy between the 50 and 45cal rifles................
The 45 is hands down more accurate, which can easily be verified by all the major NMLRA events for modern inline rifles. IIRC the last time a 50cal won at a modern inline event was in 2014 and the rifle was a BP Xpress. It took overall in a match called In-line Hunter. Every match or major event held since, has been won by 45cal rifles.

You're just set in your ways and that's ok too. Other than the "feel", what's different loading your side lock percussion or the Knight? They both load from the muzzle and both use an ignition source. Just set in your ways :)
Ya just have to imagine what it would be like having to use a rotary phone to communicate, rather than a "smart phone" or a computer like we are doing now. LOL

I fully support any and all firearms for hunting and shooting. If I can encourage and help a youngster to the shooting sports, it doesn't matter rather its a side lock or modern custom 1,000yd muzzleloader.
I would be fine with a rotary phone. I have a work phone ( only because they make me carry it) but I use my land line at home for all personal calls. And this I pad is from a place I worked and the owner shot himself at the shop, so they told me to keep it, other wise I would not be on here either. I can’t do many things on here as he has a pass word or something that I don’t know, so it’s very limited. If I want to shoot something with a scope and over 150 yards I prefer my 6.5 or 7mm. But yes, these are just my preferences. But muzzle loading hunting seasons are ( were ) based on primitive weapons, and had a separate season, usually extended. But now they might as well be classed as firearms and used during the regular firearms season. And do away with muzzle loading season.

Last edited:

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
How much do you think I would have to take out of the barrel channel on that stock to put a Paramount in it.
Add up the cost of bottom metal and then add pillars to a Rem700 tuperware stock. Then see if the difference is worth your time to open up the B-14 barrel channel.

The B-14 stock should come in around $300 total of a little less. It already has pillars in the stock. Im not really sure what is out there for a Rem700 stock with pillars and a heavy varmint or larger barrel channel. Maybe Greyboe has something that can use the CVA metal? They list the Paramount and Pro.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Based on what I can find it should be easy to lose 2lbs from the HMR stock of the Paramount.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Luke at Arrowhead probably has some MGM sml grade barrels in stock but they cost much more than the smoker MGMs. You could use BH209 in them no problem but you would need LRPs instead of 209s.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
I emailed Knight to confirm their 1-2 week timeline for a .45 barrel and they said that was correct so I ordered one. I also ordered the Lehigh breach plug. Hopefully it all fits nice in my UL stock. I figured with a bunch of other expenses around this hunt and my wifes elk hunt this would be the best route.

I am looking at bullets from Parker, Arrowhead, and Pittman. Any suggestions?

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at the arrowhead bullets. The parkers have a pretty thick jacket. I've used the 302 bombs and they have a little too thick jacket imo.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Knight to confirm their 1-2 week timeline for a .45 barrel and they said that was correct so I ordered one. I also ordered the Lehigh breach plug. Hopefully it all fits nice in my UL stock. I figured with a bunch of other expenses around this hunt and my wifes elk hunt this would be the best route.

Ive used a bare primer bolt and a old FPJ bolt in mine. Ive dropped the barrel in both a Elite stock and a TH stock. My trigger is a older Vehr 3 screw target model. A simple way to lift the barrel in the stock channel is add a small shim under the FORKS ONLY on the recoil lug. This will raise the barrel slightly and lower the action.

Notice the 2 forks on the front of the recoil lug.
X2bpubu.jpg

h4kHh4D.jpg

Add a thin shim here and test the barrel with a dollar bill. It should come back to a few inches infront of the lug.
9OZis7A.jpg

Last edited:

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Fury Custom Bullet also. They have 40s in 240gr and 250gr if you can use sabots. One of the guys on the MML forum really likes the Fury .401 240gr OT in his Knight 45 1-20. Breaking 2100fps with that bullet should be easy. Im hoping for more like 2200fps.

You need a measured .451 to start for sabotless. Mine will take a true .451 bullet no sizing needed. Fury can size them to .451 or get a sizing die. Parker 275gr BE is also another good bullet and deady accurate in my other Knight 1-20. 110gr of BH209 by volume, .461x.060 veggie wad and it clocks right at 2100fps.

Sabotless bullets should load with no more than 20-30lbs on a clean bore. You want thin .015 jackets or atleast under .020 and a softer lead core. Others might work but its alot easier to get these to shoot. Soft lead conicals are also EXCELLENT. My other 45 1-20 will stack up bullets like Bullshop/NoExuses 460s with mild loads of around 80grV of BH209. My deer load is a Gould 350gr HP cast in pure lead with just 70gr of BH209. Its a cream puff to shoot and cheap too.

Last edited:

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the parker 275 BE. Its great at lower blackpowder velocities. Some of their other bullets are more designed for smokeless muzzleloaders and have thicker jackets.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I tell you though, one of the most over looked options today is the same thing that worked over 100yrs ago. A big old slow moving hunk of lead. While it may sound brutal to shoot i dont find a 465gr@1400ish fps any worse to shoot than a 300gr@2050fps+. You use far less powder and these days that is a huge plus with the buying madness. BullShop 45cal 465s are about $60/100 shipped. Thats sized and lubed in pure lead.

Bullets like this will flat out hammer deer and elk 200 yards and beyond.

Last edited:

Tullis94

WKR
I shoot 300 grain arrowhead bullets out of mine. The large exit hole on my deer at 325 yards was pretty convincing. The shot looks quite high but this was very steep up hill. The bullet entered below mid body.

Attachments

• 0927201048a_HDR~2.jpg
    0927201048a_HDR~2.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 14