Why should I get a .45?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Ive upgraded my base to a Murphy, rings to TPS XTR and scope to a S-TAC since this photo
wOqVLxM.jpg

OxVeHw4.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
I bought that very same barrel kit and added the Lehigh plug. My lands were somewhere around .4507-.4508 as a .451 bullet would load with about the right amount of pressure. I ran all my bullets i wanted to use through a Lee .451 die 3 times. All of them would load ok.

I took all my DISC parts and swapped them over with the exception of a bare primer bolt and the Lehigh plug. Even my primers got a nice light crush so no shimming was needed. Like i said its VERY simple to swap the parts over. If using a FPJ bolt you will need to remove about .030-.040 from the face of the Lehigh ADAPTER on the plug side of the adapter. The face of my adapter hits the nut on the breech plug but just barely. Removing a tiny bit of metal from the adapter wont hurt a thing. Its made for the DISC Elite/Extreme/Originals but will fit a Mountaineer or Ulite with only a little work.

Using the bare primer bolt it was just plug and play.
Is that tapped for a scope?

Typed after you. I see it is.

CorbLand

WKR
I guess I am still old school, but I think black powder is full bore sized patched balls or bullets. No scope, side lock percussion, or flint lock. I have and have used it, a knight rifle, but it just don’t “ feel “ right, to call it a black powder rifle. It’s amazing how times are changing, and people always prefer the easiest rout.
I feel your pain man...its amazing how people that have power steering, disc brakes and heated seats still call them cars.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain man...its amazing how people that have power steering, disc brakes and heated seats still call them cars.
Or sit in a blind, tree stand while they look at pics of their trail cam on their cell phone. While staying nice and warm with Thinsulate or modern clothing.....The nerve of some people huh? :rolleyes:

OP
MuleyFever
I bought that very same barrel kit and added the Lehigh plug. My lands were somewhere around .4507-.4508 as a .451 bullet would load with about the right amount of pressure. I ran all my bullets i wanted to use through a Lee .451 die 3 times. All of them would load ok.

I took all my DISC parts and swapped them over with the exception of a bare primer bolt and the Lehigh plug. Even my primers got a nice light crush so no shimming was needed. Like i said its VERY simple to swap the parts over. If using a FPJ bolt you will need to remove about .030-.040 from the face of the Lehigh ADAPTER on the plug side of the adapter. The face of my adapter hits the nut on the breech plug but just barely. Removing a tiny bit of metal from the adapter wont hurt a thing. Its made for the DISC Elite/Extreme/Originals but will fit a Mountaineer or Ulite with only a little work.

Using the bare primer bolt it was just plug and play.
So the bolt and breech plug from my UL will fit right into this barrel and the barrel will all go right into the UL stock?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've only read the first page so might have missed something.

45 is better trajectory, you can sabot it down to 40 cal or lower with some brands, or stay full bore, they kick less per increase in ballistic coefficient over a 50 cal as bullets can be more aerodynamic; recoil is the big one I didn't see mentioned as your heavy-for-caliber is lighter in 45 than a 50.

There's a reason 45s have resurged the last few years among a lot of shooters and more companies are offering them. If you're deer only, I can't think of a good reason to go to a 50. if you can only afford one gun and want to hunt elk, you'll be fine with a 50. I've been shooting 45s since about 2001.

here's @realunlucky 's 45 he reviewed for us last year. He said I could have it back when I pry it from his cold dead hands ;)

OP
MuleyFever
I've only read the first page so might have missed something.

45 is better trajectory, you can sabot it down to 40 cal or lower with some brands, or stay full bore, they kick less per increase in ballistic coefficient over a 50 cal as bullets can be more aerodynamic; recoil is the big one I didn't see mentioned as your heavy-for-caliber is lighter in 45 than a 50.

There's a reason 45s have resurged the last few years among a lot of shooters and more companies are offering them. If you're deer only, I can't think of a good reason to go to a 50. if you can only afford one gun and want to hunt elk, you'll be fine with a 50. I've been shooting 45s since about 2001.

here's @realunlucky 's 45 he reviewed for us last year. He said I could have it back when I pry it from his cold dead hands ;)

Thanks Robby, I had not seen that review. I just don't know if I can be happy with an 8.7lb bare rifle. Don't want anything holding me back from hiking the Henry's looking for the big one. ;)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby, I had not seen that review. I just don't know if I can be happy with an 8.7lb bare rifle. Don't want anything holding me back from hiking the Henry's looking for the big one. ;)
Sure thing man. And if you’re looking for a light gun, all the more reason to go with a 45. Recoil can be brutal in light guns with heavy bullets. I have a 50 cal that I had to dump buckshot in the stock recesses to make it heavier so I could handle the recoil.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
So the bolt and breech plug from my UL will fit right into this barrel and the barrel will all go right into the UL stock?
Yes. Mountaineer parts and Ulite parts are identical other than cosmetics. Plugs are exactly the same plug. Some Ulite bolts looked a little different but fit with ZERO alterations. It should drop right in the stock but may not free float. Recoil lugs are the same for Ulite and Mountaineer.

Knight even mentions this in the custom section.. They offer custom builds such as a Mountaineer with a Ulite stock.
How would you like to have a .45 Caliber Mountaineer Barrel on an Ultra-Lite stock, complete with a Jeweled Ultra-Lite Bolt
Breech plug part number is exactly the same

Tullis94

WKR
Go to youtube and watch the Match Grade Machine video on their upgraded encore barrels. That video alone convinced me. I bought one and very very impressed. Mine shot a 1.5" 200 yard group with bullets 4,5 and 6.

OP
MuleyFever
Go to youtube and watch the Match Grade Machine video on their upgraded encore barrels. That video alone convinced me. I bought one and very very impressed. Mine shot a 1.5" 200 yard group with bullets 4,5 and 6.

That looks like a slick set up too. I always liked my Encore but sold it because it didnt shoot full bores well with that false muzzle on it. My dad still has one so I could just get the barrel and use his receiver.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Before the current madness MGM and Haus of Arms had some killer deals on those Encore 45 ML barrels for like $460ish with a nice rail on them. They use a plug from ArrowHead Rifles in them. Luke still sells a SML version using MGM Preferred and Brux blanks but they are way more than $500.

The only negative i can see is its a 5r barrel and those might not be as good for sabots.

OP
MuleyFever
Can't beat a custom. If you're looking for something quick, then you could consider the Paramount and 1:22 twist if you want to burn a lot of propellant, or a Knight Mountaineer with a 1:20 twist, where max BH charges are 120grs volume/84grs weight.
The Paramount normally has an over size bore and you'd end up knurling up bullets and size. The Knight would shoot anything but you would have to size them. The Arrowhead XLD bullets are excellent .400bc bullets.
You seem to be in the know on a lot about the Paramount. Will it fit right into a Rem 700 SA stock?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
From what ive see you only need to remove a tiny bit of material on a Rem700 stock, Something on the Bergara trigger assembly hits inside some Rem700 stocks. A guy on youtube posted a video about it.

OP
MuleyFever
From what ive see you only need to remove a tiny bit of material on a Rem700 stock, Something on the Bergara trigger assembly hits inside some Rem700 stocks. A guy on youtube posted a video about it.
Short action 700 stock right?

Local Sportsmans has the regular Paramount on clearance so adding a new stock wouldnt be terribly costly and lighten it up quite a bit.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Yes Rem700 SA stock for the Paramount. Its basically a Rem700 SA footprint. You will need your Rem700 metal. The Paramounts HMR type stock metal WONT FIT IT.