Why so light?

OP
V

Vinny

FNG
If you have a 70 pound pack, you should be cutting weight in a lot of places including your gun.

I never understood why someone would buy a Mclaren but I have rode in one, ****, they are nice. I wouldn’t buy one but I get why people do.
70lb pack was in the military, I wouldn’t have that much gear with me hunting.

CoStick

WKR
I carry my rifle by hand most of the time, pretty easy sub 7lbs loaded. i appreciate no sling and having the rifle accessible. Would be a different experience with a heavier rifle. No reason to carry more weight if you don’t have to.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
All the weight cutting adds up, a few pounds off the rifle and pack, lighter shelter etc, pretty soon you saved 10lbs which is significant.

None of this will ever matter for most people, it’s just a hobby.

Rifle weight affects many hunters-shooters. For most, the less the rifle weighs, the greater the difficulty on shooting accurately. But the inverse also exists, meaning if one is hufing and puffing from hiking, altitude ... the heavier rifle is generally more difficult to steady, and thus shoot accurately. So for many, there is a balance between light and heavy.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that is accurate with a light rifle.

There is a happy medium for me, I have packed very light rifles, and heavy ones, it’s all a compromise… the type of hunting you do matters as well.

If I’m covering an average of 10 mountain miles per day, and know my shots will be under 250yds, I may pick a different rifle than a hunt I’m covering 3 miles and know shots are likely to be over 400yds… the perfect balance is different for all of us.

I think a person who covers a lot of ground in the mountains and shoots a lot in the off season can benefit from a light rifle.. someone who shoots a box of ammo per year and mostly road hunts with some short hikes would benefit from a heavier rifle

I seem to like that 8.5-10lb range, I like packing a lighter rifle, but they are harder to shoot well in field positions and hurried shots (for me) since I started using a gun bearer, I have started favoring a little heavier rifle, it’s still weight, but how the weight is carried matters.

My bow setup is light, and that’s due to the hunting I do, I cover a lot of country, and know historically my shots will be sub 20yds shooting at a big bullseye, don’t need a target rig for that.

It’s not about light or heavy, it’s about finding the right compromise for the hunting you do, there is no one size fits all here

CoStick

WKR
I think a lot of hunters would be better served to focus on losing 20-40 pounds off their gut versus a pound off their rifle.
If you are covering 8-10 miles in the mountains each day, probably not much extra weight on the body. That being said 20lbs dispersed over a body vs holding in one had is different. If I was overweight and riding a sxs or ebike, rifle weight wouldn’t matter. Fieldcraft is easy to carry, easy to shoot.

SouthPaw

WKR
If you are covering 8-10 miles in the mountains each day, probably not much extra weight on the body. That being said 20lbs dispersed over a body vs holding in one had is different. If I was overweight and riding a sxs or ebike, rifle weight wouldn’t matter. Fieldcraft is easy to carry, easy to shoot.
Agree, and I'll clarify that many on Rokslide don't fit into the "a lot of hunters" group from my prior post. It's just my broad stroke observation based on what I typically see in the mountains.

Why are so many concerned with lightweight rifles?
I’m relatively new to the scene in this country and I enjoy the posts here but I’m hearing a lot of lightweight this lightweight that. People are willing to spend so much money to reduce the weight of their gear. Isn’t a persons health and ability to carry an extra 2-3lbs weight more important?

So, what’s the weight of your hunting rifle?
My gun my choice
lol

When I get a rifle to hunt the mountains and have to hike to get where I need to be, and use components that are the best to not fail, like a Night Force scope for instance, that thing weighs 2 lbs, I look to offset that weight in other parts of the gun, that do not need to be heavy to gain any performance.

I have carried a heavy 12 lb gun most of my life. I am now older and prefer to carry a much lighter 7.75 lb rifle. I carry the rifle on my back pack hip belt, so less weight being pushed on my belt the better for my hips.

svivian

WKR
Lmao the real answer it is easier for people to pay to have a lighter gun than it is to put in the effort to lose some weight on their body. I guarantee the dudes getting their sleep systems, rifles, packs etc... as light as possible aren't nearly as focused on themselves... Just my .02

Ive been using heavier rifles for most of my hunts because I can shoot them much better at distance. I like them in the 9-10.5 pound range.

If I’m still hunting or don’t expect 400+ yard shots, I bring my tikka with a light, simple scope. 7.8lb or so loaded. That’s light enough for me

No need for just one gun..

amassi

WKR
Ever packed an 8 pound rifle and then a 5 pound rifle!?
My brother has 1 rifle, a browning bar my dad gave him for high-school graduation in 1994. It must weigh 11# scoped and loaded. Anytime I hand him my rifle (7.5#) a tear rolls down his cheek.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Is this a trick question or a troll? Since I have the option and I happen to like guns of all shapes and sizes, why on earth would I not put thought and effort into the rifle I carry? I own a relatively light rifle because I have more energy and hence more fun when I carry the light one, and I don't hunt in a manner that I think the advantages a heavy rifle has are sufficiently relevant. I carry the heavy one at other times. If someone prefers a heavier rifle, have it it, I wont stop you--heck, if you have that much energy you can carry the beer, too.

CorbLand

WKR
Is this a trick question or a troll? Since I have the option and I happen to like guns of all shapes and sizes, why on earth would I not put thought and effort into the rifle I carry? I own a relatively light rifle because I have more energy and hence more fun when I carry the light one, and I don't hunt in a manner that I think the advantages a heavy rifle has are sufficiently relevant. I carry the heavy one at other times. If someone prefers a heavier rifle, have it it, I wont stop you--heck, if you have that much energy you can carry the beer, too.
I don't know if I would call it trolling but 90% of the time these threads are not the person asking a question. Its them making a statement in the form of a question.

Broomd

WKR
All the weight cutting adds up, a few pounds off the rifle and pack, lighter shelter etc, pretty soon you saved 10lbs which is significant.

None of this will ever matter for most people, it’s just a hobby.
For the hardcore sheep or goat hunter in Alaska or Canada the rifle pounds/ounces matter. Year in, year out.
The only place I've learned to compromise is with the sleeping bag--this after many cold, sleepless nights trying to save a few ounces. Lesson learned.

I think a lot of hunters would be better served to focus on losing 20-40 pounds off their gut versus a pound off their rifle.
I’m always struggling to gain a little weight, that doesn’t work for me, even the off season it’s hard to gain weight and all fall I’m in a calorie deficit, and keestering a heavy rifle isn’t an ideal means of gaining weight 😉