Why so many Kifaru packs for sale??

I have benefited from packs on the classifieds. They were discontinued fabrics. I believe that one purchase resulted because the seller was also concerned that the pack and pockets were different dye lots and don’t match perfectly. Also, some guys take advantage of resale value to rotate into the newest bag chasing the “ultimate” set up.

I am very pleased with my Kifaru packs. I wouldn’t hesitate to do some research and try one.

I have no doubt that I could resell them for what I paid for them... though I don’t think that’ll happen. I’m where gear goes to die.

mlgc20

WKR
What amazes me is that almost every pack on the classifieds is “like new... no blood or stains... no wear”
I think there are a lot of guys who like the gear of hunting more than they like the activity of hunting. There is probably a stunning number of $700 packs that never get more than half a mile from the truck, if they ever get in the field at all.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Personally I don’t want to carry a heavier pack. Can I? Sure I’m in good shape and plenty big enough, but why carry more than you have to? Ounces=Pounds and Pounds=Pain. Telling someone to get stronger so they can carry a heavier pack is asanine.

bsnedeker

WKR
cheaper, not really. Lighter, yes. My SG 7900 is right about 4lbs lighter than a kifaru fulcrum on a tactical frame with pockets/lid.

Come on man, that is a ridiculous comparison. You have the heaviest frame that Kifaru has ever made combined with one of the heaviest bags they have AND you've added a bunch of accessories on top of it.

My duplex UL frame with an Argali bag weighs under 4 pounds. The SG 7900 weighs over 6 pounds. Kifaru bags and frames are what you make of them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Come on man, that is a ridiculous comparison. You have the heaviest frame that Kifaru has ever made combined with one of the heaviest bags they have AND you've added a bunch of accessories on top of it.

My duplex UL frame with an Argali bag weighs under 4 pounds. The SG 7900 weighs over 6 pounds. Kifaru bags and frames are what you make of them.
How is it ridiculous, its the 2 packs I have, why not compare them? you are bringing a pack that isnt even made into it.

Vandy321

WKR
To the post above...my tac frame, 44 mag, Sherman, 2 pockets and water bottle holder weighed 10.5lbs...my SG 5900 is a full 5# lighter and carries 80-100# far more comfortably (for me). The SG x-curce is stiffer/has less lateral flex than the kifaru tactical too, so I'd say its more than fair to compare the tac frame to the x-curve, even though kifaru makes a lighter frame.

For me, kifaru didn't live up to my expectations. I spend 2 years trying to convince myself I loved it before deciding to move in. Happy with my decision.

They do have fantastic resale value though, so that's a win.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
How is it ridiculous, its the 2 packs I have, why not compare them?

You made the claim that SG's are lighter than kifaru because you decided to build a 10 pound Kifaru. That is pretty silly. Should I make the claim that Dodge makes lighter trucks than Ford because a Ram 1500 weighs less than a F350? That would be pretty ridiculous.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You made the claim that SG's are lighter than kifaru because you decided to build a 10 pound Kifaru. That is pretty silly. Should I make the claim that Dodge makes lighter trucks than Ford because a Ram 1500 weighs less than a F350? That would be pretty ridiculous.
Stop being obtuse, I simply compared the two packs I have, nothing more. if this bothers you, maybe get back to work.

rclouse79

WKR
The weight will be close depending on what options you pick. I would overlook carrying a pound more more with Kifaru based on the experience I have had with my timberline over the last ten years. I am probably due for a new one, but am hoping to be cheap and squeeze a few more seasons out of my current pack.

bsnedeker

WKR
Stop being obtuse, I simply compared the two packs I have, nothing more. if this bothers you, maybe get back to work.
Whatever dude...you clearly didn't "compare the two packs I have", you made a definitive claim that SG's are lighter than Kifaru's and THEN used your two packs as proof of that. I called you out on it, you are now upset. We all know how you feel about Kifaru and the guys who use them, you can't help yourself whenever the topic of Kifaru comes up. It's fine to have your bias, I don't begrudge you that, but you should at least be fair when you are leveling criticism.

TheGDog

WKR
Personally I don’t want to carry a heavier pack. Can I? Sure I’m in good shape and plenty big enough, but why carry more than you have to? Ounces=Pounds and Pounds=Pain. Telling someone to get stronger so they can carry a heavier pack is asanine.
Wasn't telling anybody anything. Just offered a viewpoint. The idea is at some point you're gonna be putting a crap-ton of weight in there to take back out, so whining about minor amounts in regards to the hopefully strong enough vessel that will allow you to do that carrying, seems a little foolish, if knowing the REASON why it might weigh a little bit more is because it's purposefully overbuilt so that you won't be let down with some really jacked-up bad luck when you're way in the hell too far from anything to be dealing with the extra headache of catastrophic equipment failure.

I mean... we all try to shave weight off where we can, for sure. But some things... it seems like trying to shave weight off them is counter-intuitive, as it has the potential to lower their durability. You're constantly having to put that pack down on all sorts of different kinds of sharp ground, bust thru grabby brush with it on, and all these other shenanigans. Just seems like not the time to be as worrisome about a lil extra weight is all.

Vandy321

WKR
The Kifaru Tac and the X-curve are 100% comparable, IMO, I owned both..they are the stiffest frame each company makes, so they should be compared as such. SG exceeded Kifaru frame stiffness and lateral flex under load in a lighter weight package, but doesn't make it an unfair comparison.
Whatever dude...you clearly didn't "compare the two packs I have", you made a definitive claim that SG's are lighter than Kifaru's and THEN used your two packs as proof of that. I called you out on it, you are now upset. We all know how you feel about Kifaru and the guys who use them, you can't help yourself whenever the topic of Kifaru comes up. It's fine to have your bias, I don't begrudge you that, but you should at least be fair when you are leveling criticism.

Last edited:
The Kifaru Tac and the X-curve are 100% comparable, IMO, I owned both..they are the stiffest frame each company makes, so they should be compared as such. SG exceeded Kifaru frame stiffness and lateral flex under load in a lighter weight package, but doesn't make it an unfair comparison.

I ran the x-curve, krux, duplex light, and tactical. The x-curve and duplex light (to me) were most comparable. Again, this is just my opinion. I have not tried the ultra light by Kifaru, but I have been told that its similar to the krux and x-curve but more in-between. I'd like to get my hands on one to try out one day. I loved how the x-curve rode in day bag mode using the 5900. But loaded down, ill take my duplex/muskeg 7 every day of the week.

bsnedeker

WKR
Fair enough. The tactical frame weighs 13 oz more than the xcurve. I could put my argali on that frame and still be over a pound lighter than the sky 7900. I'm not claiming kifaru is lighter than SG for the record, just pointing out they can be light or they can be heavy depending on how you choose to configure them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No I didnt make any definitive claims, if thats what you got from it then I'm sorry. I compared 2 packs that I have, one is 7800 and one is 7900, both have lids and both have 2 belt pockets. Im sorry thats so hard for you to understand.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Fair enough. The tactical frame weighs 13 oz more than the xcurve. I could put my argali on that frame and still be over a pound lighter than the sky 7900. I'm not claiming kifaru is lighter than SG for the record, just pointing out they can be light or they can be heavy depending on how you choose to configure them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Stop trying to compare everything with a pack that isn't even made anymore.

I have sold 3 or 4 Kifaru packs searching for the ones I like best. The two I have now will be kept for quite a while. I have never sold one because of comfort. Bag options, pockets, configuration etc. are the reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
As for the weight issue of kifaru, I wish they would bring back their multi day sized internal frame packs. Not that I'm looking to upgrade or anything though. I love my Timberline2.