Why so many Kifaru packs for sale??

Vandy321

WKR
Fair enough. The tactical frame weighs 13 oz more than the xcurve. I could put my argali on that frame and still be over a pound lighter than the sky 7900. I'm not claiming kifaru is lighter than SG for the record, just pointing out they can be light or they can be heavy depending on how you choose to configure them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
True, no arguement from me. From my experience is all I can speech, but I went from a >10lb kifaru 44 mag, Sherman, 2 med pockets and a nalgene to having more room and what feels to be to me to be a more rigid from in the x-curve/5900 combo. Almost 5lbs delta for a very similar load capability.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Wasn't telling anybody anything. Just offered a viewpoint. The idea is at some point you're gonna be putting a crap-ton of weight in there to take back out, so whining about minor amounts in regards to the hopefully strong enough vessel that will allow you to do that carrying, seems a little foolish, if knowing the REASON why it might weigh a little bit more is because it's purposefully overbuilt so that you won't be let down with some really jacked-up bad luck when you're way in the hell too far from anything to be dealing with the extra headache of catastrophic equipment failure.

I mean... we all try to shave weight off where we can, for sure. But some things... it seems like trying to shave weight off them is counter-intuitive, as it has the potential to lower their durability. You're constantly having to put that pack down on all sorts of different kinds of sharp ground, bust thru grabby brush with it on, and all these other shenanigans. Just seems like not the time to be as worrisome about a lil extra weight is all.
I guess I could’ve been more detailed in my comment. If the packs are comparable in performance..SG, EXO, Kifaru. Then I’m going with the lighter version IF of course it works for me.

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve bought and sold a lot of packs. Fun to try out new ones and make sure your not missing out on something amazing. I had a duplex frame and Stryker that I sold 2 days after I got it. The pack was the right size and everything seemed very well built. But the overall size of frame and pack was overkill for the deer woods I hunt. I wouldn’t able to handle the harassment from my buddies saying, “dude, what the hell are you wearing?” I wouldn’t have had much of a loss but in my “for sale” ad, I forgot to just say lower 48. Shipping to Alaska was a killer.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I didn't read the entire thread so if someone already said this, my bad.

I equate it to similar high end products, people want to always see what is the next twist or the next big thing. Look in the classifieds for Swaro, Zeiss or Leica, they are all over in there. That doesn't mean they are not still the best producers and incredible products.
People like to get new gear. The same is true for high end backpacks. Maybe not for the cheaper makes and models out there as those tend to be bought were budget is the priority. But those who are always seeking the best they can get, they will try new things.
If you are on a budget this is a great opportunity to take advantage of the situation.

Someone help me understand...Why do I see so many Kifaru packs for sale in the classifieds?? I don’t currently own a Kifaru, all though I have been contemplating buying one.
Is it because there are so many out there or are there other reasons? I just don’t see near as many Exo, Kuiu, or the other top tier packs up for sale.

I equate it to similar high end products, people want to always see what is the next twist or the next big thing. Look in the classifieds for Swaro, Zeiss or Leica, they are all over in there. That doesn't mean they are not still the best producers and incredible products.
People like to get new gear. The same is true for high end backpacks. Maybe not for the cheaper makes and models out there as those tend to be bought were budget is the priority. But those who are always seeking the best they can get, they will try new things.
If you are on a budget this is a great opportunity to take advantage of the situation.
^^^^^^^ great post!

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I just think a lot of the guys that run Kifaru take care of their shit and the resale value is still close to new when you take care of it...I would also comment that Kifaru offers sooooo many different options I’ve pry went through 4+ packs in the last 4 years and not disappointed in any of my Kifaru experiences.

A lot of kifaru owners are like some high end bow owners. They want the newest pack or bow every year so they sell one they don’t want anymore to help pay for it. I definitely am not in that category. Bought my reckoning with my duplex hunter frame 5 years ago and I plan on using it until it fits my son. They’re built as good as it gets in packs. They might have a couple ounces over a couple ultralight options but the robust zippers and other overbuilt portions of the pack are worth the tiny bit of extra weight. Mine is built like a tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
This thread reminds me of Yeti coolers. People who can’t afford them want to bash them. Like said above, some people want a new bow each year, and some want a new pack. Granted, Kifaru has made a lot of different packs, to prompt sales for different designs, features, etc. But they last. Heck, my work edc is a Mountainsmith, precursor to Patrick Smith starting Kifaru.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Same reason folks get new snowmobiles, motorbikes, and horses every year or two. At least packs are less costly than those.

I believe if you disregard the guys upgrading every year...
There is a lot of people who buy a Kifaru then realize they don't actually need it for their caliber of activities. I've heard stories of Kifaru being honest and telling people they probably don't need to buy one of their packs for what they do.

Obviously they are making packs for every form of hunting now, but it seems it used to be mostly "if you don't spend most of your free time in the mountains you don't need it."

I wouldn't doubt if a good portion of packs that go up are guys who bought it for one hunt because they wanted the best. Then no longer had a use for it after.

Edit: And let's be honest the real reason we buy Kifaru is because we can put patches on them...

Attachments

• PXL_20201028_191804459.~2_exported_1611721509153~2.jpg
    PXL_20201028_191804459.~2_exported_1611721509153~2.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just think a lot of the guys that run Kifaru take care of their shit and the resale value is still close to new when you take care of it...I would also comment that Kifaru offers sooooo many different options I’ve pry went through 4+ packs in the last 4 years and not disappointed in any of my Kifaru experiences.

If by take care of you mean don’t use....

MattB

WKR
I believe if you disregard the guys upgrading every year...
There is a lot of people who buy a Kifaru then realize they don't actually need it for their caliber of activities. I've heard stories of Kifaru being honest and telling people they probably don't need to buy one of their packs for what they do.
Honestly, I never thought that was the case until I read this thread.

Honestly, I never thought that was the case until I read this thread.
More than a few of the stuff posted often say something like "Used once on (insert western hunt here). Don't need it anymore."

I suppose that's the beauty of it though. You are basically renting it with a collateral payment because of how much value they hold. Assuming people know how to get blood out of their gear, or don't kill anything.

MattB

WKR
How is it ridiculous, its the 2 packs I have, why not compare them? you are bringing a pack that isnt even made into it.
It is ridiculous because the poster you responded to asked a general questions about relative weights and you provided a specific answer (essentially, Kifaru systems are heavier than SG systems) based on really skewed examples of the 2 packs you own. You essentially compared the smaller 7,400 ci SG bag + frame to the larger 7,800 Kifaru bag + lid (additional capacity/weight) + pockets (additional capacity/weight) + the heaviest frame Kifaru makes. That is just dumb.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It is ridiculous because the poster you responded to asked a general questions about relative weights and you provided a specific answer (essentially, Kifaru systems are heavier than SG systems) based on really skewed examples of the 2 packs you own. You essentially compared the smaller 7,400 ci SG bag + frame to the larger 7,800 Kifaru bag + lid (additional capacity/weight) + pockets (additional capacity/weight) + the heaviest frame Kifaru makes. That is just dumb.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I’m also sorry that you can’t see the point I was making which was comparing the 2 packs I have.

I’ll also add that perhaps you should have continued reading. My SG bag is larger than the kifaru bag, both packs have 2 belt pockets and both packs have lids.

Let the grown ups talk, save your comments for after you’ve got your information right.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

My SG pack is larger than the kifaru and both have lids.

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
More than a few of the stuff posted often say something like "Used once on (insert western hunt here). Don't need it anymore."

I suppose that's the beauty of it though. You are basically renting it with a collateral payment because of how much value they hold. Assuming people know how to get blood out of their gear, or don't kill anything.
I feel sorry for the “one and done” guys. If I couldn’t hunt the mountains every year... I’d have a mental breakdown

Sirot

FNG
They seem to be very popular so maybe alot is getting the new versions at upgrades and sell the old one. In scandinavia a lot is doing like that with Fjällräven.