Why so much love for the SWFA 3-9??

ChrisAU

WKR
My Leupy Mark 5 finally shipped, so I may be moving on from the SWFA on my primary rifle. Before "hurr durr but you said SWFA was the best" no, I'm waiting to see if a $2300 scope beats out a $600 one before selling the $600 one, thats how impressed I am with my 3-9 HD. I compared it side by side in low light with a 3-18x56 Meopta Optika 6 and me and two others there agreed that with both at 9x the SWFA was brighter and had better resolution, and I returned the Meopta, even with the SWFA being only a 42mm objective. I'm hoping the Leupold is brighter, but also wanted a few more x's and locking elevation and capped windage. My 3-9 never turned inadvertently in 7 days elk hunting in CO or over 100 days whitetail hunting in Alabama, but I could see how it could happen.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This doesn't really apply to the thread but Form does know what he is doing and several on here can vouch for him including the owner of this website. And if you really think that your scope is "the best," go ahead and send it to him as he will "test" it. Include a box which can hold loose parts...…...…….....

Randy

brsnow

WKR
This doesn't really apply to the thread but Form does know what he is doing and several on here can vouch for him including the owner of this website. And if you really think that your scope is "the best," go ahead and send it to him as he will "test" it. Include a box which can hold loose parts...…...…….....

Randy

He is also helpful and informative to Rokslide members who ask too many questions. Rumor has it;-)[/QUOTE]

Scottyboy

WKR
Have a link to his Meopta review? I’d like to read that.

1BC8F852-6370-443D-8DAD-6D9AC227556B.png

For people that say form never lists his testing protocol. If this is truly his test, which I have zero doubt it is, that’s more then enough for me. Can a guy still get a bad scope or even a good scope from a line that has had issues, 100%. Almost every scope post has guys on both sides of the fence on any scope. Read stuff on your own, make your own thoughts, and do what you want. Marvel thought

Bbell12

WKR
Just out of curiosity; for those of you who shoot a lot, how far out would you feel comfortable taking a shot on an animal with a 3-9?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just out of curiosity; for those of you who shoot a lot, how far out would you feel comfortable taking a shot on an animal with a 3-9?

The “zoom range” isn’t anywhere near as important as several other factors when shooting at any distance. Same with long range shots.

3-9 on big game is plenty for really really long shots. Practice shooting silhouette targets at yardages you are comfortable shooting steel at. I think you’d be surprised how well you can put your crosshairs on vital areas on a deer or elk sized silhouette target with 9x zoom.

The key is getting comfortable taking those shots and verifying everything in the field before worrying about a “distance cap” on a certain zoom range.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

For me, a 3-9 is adequate to any distance I’d actually shoot an animal at. Keep in mind I never ever, I’m at way claim to be a long distance shooter or hunter. I practice out to 500 and try to take animals under 300.

I have 2 SWFA 3x9 FFP. After using them for a while I don’t know if I’d ever switch back to a MOA second focal plane scope.

My limit on animals is 400. I practice out to 500 when I can