Why Solo? Why Not?

As others have said, solo hunting eliminates a lot of the challenges of coordinating schedules/gear/priorities/etc. Until my son is old enough to start hunting the high country reasonably hard, I don’t see hunting any other way but alone. Happy to share a tree stand with him now as he grows more passionate each year about harvesting Whitetail...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
About 10-12 years ago I had a guy that wanted to go up with me so I told him I was leaving my house at 0500. At 0500 I drove out of my driveway with him nowhere to be found. 45 minutes later he calls me and says "Hey, I'm at your house and you're not here". I replied "Correct, I'm 45 minutes closer to my hunting unit because I left at 0500 when I said I was leaving".

When a guy can't even figure out a clock, that's not a guy I want in my camp.....let alone on a hunt with me. It seems that many these days can't figure out a clock or even more simple stuff like what gender they are:censored:. It's just much easier and less to deal with by going it alone.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Roughwater is spot on!
I had an experience last fall on a DIY archery back pack hunt in CO. I had considered going solo but dreaded the thought of packing an elk out solo and my wife / family were not comfortable with the idea. So about 4 weeks before the hunt I had a friend and a friend of his sign up to go. Neither had experience elk hunting let alone a back pack hunt. I had thoughts of a total disaster waiting to happen but also felt that introducing some newbies could be good for the sport and possibly develop into some long time partners. Long story short I quickly became there guide. I had to do all the calling and navigating. The bulls were being silent but I succeeded in calling in 2 bulls on 2 different days. Both guys got shots and one was a sucessful kill on a nice 5x5. The next 2 days were spent packing out the animal and getting it to a processor. After I had spent literally the first 4-5 days being there guide they decided they wanted pack up and go back home. I had rode out in their vehicle so had not much of a choice but to leave with them. IT TOTALLY SUCKED!!
Make certain you have an understanding and agreement with your partners before committing to a hunt.

OP
trophyhill
I've never solo hunted elk. I've solo hunted WT plenty of times but that's not the same as camping out in the back country. I've put off an elk hunt simply due to the fact that I'd be solo and the task seemed to daunting. I have 2 buddies that are planning a trip with me 5 years from now but after joining this forum I've decided I'm going before then and getting the experience solo. Plus when they are ready I should have a good game plan and experience that I can be apart of their first elk hunt. I've taken a lot of people on their first whitetail hunt and there's nothing quite like seeing someone take their first WT.
Hey David, I'm pretty sure you and I could hunt together pretty easily. Maybe if you get your CO tag this year we can test that theory out a bit. (y)

Sounds good Mike! I'd hunt with you anytime. You definitely make the short list of about less than 5 currently on it ;)

AndySee

FNG
I've hunted alone and with a partner and I see benefits to both. From a hunting perspective, I'm definitely more tuned in when solo. However, I really enjoy the evenings, camping and shared sips of whiskey with a good buddy, so we usually hunt alone and meet back at our bed down spot at night. To me, the stories and camaraderie are just part of the fun.

Mt Al

WKR
Mostly solo because my job is very social and I'm an introvert (recharge alone, without people). Plus don't have to consider other people's schedules, methods, etc.. I go with my kids whenever I can and a friend or two once or twice, but soooooo nice to be alone! As others have written, for elk I only go where it's downhill and when the weather's right (cold) for the meat and never that far back.

7Bartman

WKR
What about camping together, but solo hunting. You've got the benefits of safety (someone expects you back at night and knows where you'll be), camaraderie, shared camp chores, but when it comes to hunting you split up and if need be help each other get the elk off the mountain.

Squamch

WKR
For the solo guys. How many of yinz (you guys) carry an Inreach or other SAT device?

I could be solo this year. If I am I’ll be getting an InReach for peace of mind for the family back home.

I don't. I let a couple guys who know the area know where I intend to park, and which way I plan to go. I'll advise them of plans B, C, and D. If I end up on some other program, I send a text, and hope I catch reception so it will send.
I hunt alone more than with a partner, because most guys don't want to go as deep as I want to, or get discouraged too quickly.

The exception to my willingness to roll solo, is snow. Generally I don't hunt in much snow, but I like snowshoeing, camping, etc, and I won't play that game alone.

87TT

WKR
My InReach is like my first aid kit or spare flashlight/headlamp. Always have it even though I don't plan on using it. If you think you are just going to be found if something happens, you are just fooling yourself. I have been a Search and Rescue member and can say without a doubt you are wrong. I still think about a Boy Scout that got separated from his group on a busy hiking trail. Despite literally hundreds of hikers on that trail, hundreds more trained Search and Rescue personnel, the military, helicopters, horseback and tracking dogs etc. We never found him only his camera with a lonely sad selfie. You don't need that seatbelt or helmet either.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to Idaho solo this June to hike and mess around, but this is the exact scenario I'm a little scared of.

87TT

WKR
I was 63 when I bought the InReach and hunted ,backpacked, and fished solo all of my life. Back in the day, we didn't have them. (or seatbelts :) ) I have somehow managed to survive some crazy sh*t. It just makes sense. I actually justified it by making it for my family after I moved up here and the nearest person I knew (sister) was over two hours away. Now I'm married again and it makes her feel better so I can continue to be the adventurer that I am.
Figured out finally that I am not bullet proof.

SCLawyer

Lil-Rokslider
For me, my buddies didn't want to go with on my first elk hunt. So I cut my teeth hunting elk solo with my bow. Hunting with others is somewhat awkward now. After that first season, I was hooked! I knew nothing about elk. But I knew I wanted to know about elk.

I've had mucho help along the way, but still hunt alone "for the most part". At first it was Ribeyes and a big cozy tent and truck camp. Then it was Backcountry And Mountain House. Amazing how little the human body can get by with.

I love both styles of hunting and have done a hybrid style with a tent at the truck, and a tent on a ridge 5 miles back (sorry Mike) and hunting back and forth. I guess I hunt solo "for the most part" is because I just love bowhunting and elk hunting. It was born out of necessity, and now it's by choice "for the most part".

Though I am not at a 100% kill ratio, I have had 100% opportunity, meaning I have had at least 1 opportunity to kill an elk with my bow every year, and often multiple opportunities, and sometimes multiple opportunities daily. There is nothing more gratifying for me than getting er done solo. After that first steak, I forget all about the pain ;)

Why do you, or don't you hunt solo?

I’m an east coast white tail/turkey guy who hunts all season, often with my friends. I’m planning my first elk hunt out west (~2 years out). I’m struggling to find anyone to go with me because all of my hunting buddies are used to walking 100 yards from the truck to the deer stand and don’t want to do a backcountry hunt - or, in some cases, can’t take the time off or afford the tag.

Any advice you’d pass along for a first time western solo hunter? I’m gonna keep working on finding some friends to do the trip with me, but I’m striking out so far.

Any fellow hunters from S.C./N.C. looking to find a western hunting buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCLawyer

Lil-Rokslider
I was 63 when I bought the InReach and hunted ,backpacked, and fished solo all of my life. Back in the day, we didn't have them. (or seatbelts :) ) I have somehow managed to survive some crazy sh*t. It just makes sense. I actually justified it by making it for my family after I moved up here and the nearest person I knew (sister) was over two hours away. Now I'm married again and it makes her feel better so I can continue to be the adventurer that I am.
Figured out finally that I am not bullet proof.

Is your wife interested in persuading my wife that solo hunting is safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk