Why Solo? Why Not?

For me, my buddies didn't want to go with on my first elk hunt. So I cut my teeth hunting elk solo with my bow. Hunting with others is somewhat awkward now. After that first season, I was hooked! I knew nothing about elk. But I knew I wanted to know about elk.

I've had mucho help along the way, but still hunt alone "for the most part". At first it was Ribeyes and a big cozy tent and truck camp. Then it was Backcountry And Mountain House. Amazing how little the human body can get by with.

I love both styles of hunting and have done a hybrid style with a tent at the truck, and a tent on a ridge 5 miles back (sorry Mike) and hunting back and forth. I guess I hunt solo "for the most part" is because I just love bowhunting and elk hunting. It was born out of necessity, and now it's by choice "for the most part".

Though I am not at a 100% kill ratio, I have had 100% opportunity, meaning I have had at least 1 opportunity to kill an elk with my bow every year, and often multiple opportunities, and sometimes multiple opportunities daily. There is nothing more gratifying for me than getting er done solo. After that first steak, I forget all about the pain ;)

Why do you, or don't you hunt solo?

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
I feared the woods. Only extended hunting I did was with a partner. Totally hated the thought of alone till I did it. When I finally scouted then hunted solo did I grow up and reach a feeling of confidence hunting with a partner couldn’t provide. I feel like solo over nights in the woods builds courage and fortitude. If you can survive on your own. Kill an animal on your own. Pack the sum bitch out 13 miles on your own then you about can do f$&ing anything. (Deer)

I think Goggins said it best

“I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I'm trying to fill my tags, I feel more effective solo, and I like the peace and quiet, and when hunting solo, there is a different level of focus... I think I crave that.

I'm naturally a hermit too. I like alone time and doing things at my pace.

Pros and cons to each, but given the choice I roll lone wolf

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
In the beginning I went solo out of necessity, didn’t have anyone that could or would make the trip. I really enjoy it, the freedom to do whatever you want and the quiet. I also find it’s almost species dependent. I like having someone on pronghorn, bear, and low country deer hunts, solo on elk and mountain mule deer, that being said, reason not to go solo- elk are heavy!
I enjoy both, especially when my dad can get away and come, those are by far my favorite hunts no matter what we are after.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
Just fewer distractions hunting solo. I've only mule deer hunted and we go as a group, but we hunt solo in our own spots. Sometimes we'll solo camp if it puts in a better spot for a morning hunt but we always have a home base where most retreat back to at the end of the day.

Going to be elk hunting this year for the first time where we've deer hunted. It'll also be solo since the other guys will still be chasing deer. And I plan to be out for longer stretches, where they tend to be first few/last few hours of the day hunters.

bsnedeker

WKR
^^ This. I love hunting with my buddies, but man it comes with a lot of distractions and temptations! "Oh, let's just run into town quick for a pizza and a beer." "Ahh, let's sleep in tomorrow, we had a late night."

When I'm solo I can focus on what I'm there to do. After I get my animal down I can call my buddies to help me haul it off the mountain! Best of both worlds!

There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of getting it done solo. I also started out of necessity, now it’s turned into a yearly kind of walkabout. A test of hunting skill as well as time to clear the head and appreciate what you’ve got going in life. My senses are much more heightened when solo. I rarely ever need a wind check or bump animals. Im slower and more meticulous in everything I do out there alone. Oh and the silence, the golden silence.

Moserkr

WKR
Solo hunting was my only choice as I had no friends with the time or schedule I had to go with me. So Ive solo hunted big game 75% of the time, and am largely self taught. I hunt with others quite often now and have many friends that come to me to be introduced into the sport. Backpacking deep alone into the woods took a little getting used to. Now I do it in the dead of night sometimes and although it can be spooky, its become comforting knowing what I can do and having the right gear to depend on. When you take an animal solo, deep, and get it out by yourself, you come to realize that you are in a class above the rest. I have no problem taking guys out and showing them what I like to do, and to see how much grit they have. But alone I go further, harder, faster, and generally have better success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started hunting solo out of necessity. It was either go alone or don't go at all; easy choice for me. I honestly do it more for logistics than anything else. I don't have family or hunting buddies that apply in all the places I do or want to take vacation time off for my hunt. I'm not willing to only hunt the weekends or drive hours out of the way to pick someone up when I could be hunting. Hunting is my getaway so I don't let people get in the way.

Still, I plan hunts to go with family when it makes sense. But for the majority of the last 5 seasons I’ve hunted solo.

I like doing both. But if I had to choose one it would be solo. For one I’m an introvert but I feel like I hunt harder when I’m on my own. I don’t like making game plans with people when I could be on my own doing whatever I want in that moment. One person may think the ridge to the west has better glassing spots while I feel like going East 🤷‍♂️ Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. With that being said it’s always fun doing a couple trips a year with buddies!

slobow

FNG
Wow this post is under elk forum so I'm assuming you are talking about elk hunting solo. I absolutely love bowhunting elk with a partner. So much more fun and successful as we are both excellent callers and understand one another. Not to mention when the elk hits the dirt its a huge bonus to have a partner. Especially since we are way past 5 miles into the backcountry. To each his own but I will prefer to hunt with my partner. After one of us is successful we get to do it again! Its like having 2 tags!

Beendare

WKR
I think one reason is a lot of folks still aren't comfortable in the woods solo.

I met a guy yesterday running some local trails solo and he freaked out when I told him my dog chased a mountain lion a year ago just 20yds off the fire road we were on. He freaked. The guy literally walked along side me all the way off the hill. I tried to tell him there was more chance of getting in a car wreck on the way home vs having a lion attack...he was having none of it.

I think Briadb3 said it well. Its all about spending more time in the woods and increasing your self reliance. I firmly believe we are safer in the woods than on the freeway....and I think the stats back that up.

I've talked to pilots in Alaska that crashed in the backcountry walking out 22 miles, crossing rivers and rough country with a broken collar bone. Even the guys mauled by Grizzlys make it out with a little bit of planning. A few things in your pocket solve the majority of problems you will encounter; a compass, lighter, knife and headlamp.

Once a guy solves this mental issue, then you can truly embrace the amazing remote areas our country offers. Its even better with a bow or rifle in your hand.

________

cnelk

WKR
Wow this post is under elk forum so I'm assuming you are talking about elk hunting solo. I absolutely love bowhunting elk with a partner. So much more fun and successful as we are both excellent callers and understand one another. Not to mention when the elk hits the dirt its a huge bonus to have a partner. Especially since we are way past 5 miles into the backcountry. To each his own but I will prefer to hunt with my partner. After one of us is successful we get to do it again! Its like having 2 tags!

Couldnt have said it better

Chad L

FNG
I’ve already started preparations for this upcoming fall and doing my 3rd solo hunt in the last 4years. The 1st year getting through the mental challenges was the toughest but by doing so it turned my hunt into a memory of accomplishment. You truly have a opportunity to reflect on life and what is and isn’t important. I have never felt more alive and in tune with god’s creations than being one on one in nature doing it solo. Proper preparation can makes hunt very safe and doable.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I killed an elk late in the evening and started packing it out at midnight. I got back to the truck at about 2:30. When you know where you are and have spent the night hiking a edtrail you come to realize it's not so bad out there alone even at night. With onX, a good headlamp, and a weapon (even a bow) at the ready I'm good to go. Plus I love the freedom of hunting solo.

Last year was my first year hunting. I spent the first half hunting with my father-in-law and second half alone, when he had to get back to work. I really did enjoy both. I learned a lot having an experienced hunter out there with me and the company was enjoyable. I have to admit though, I had a great time alone. Peace and quiet, making all the decisions myself, and hunting the way I wanted to. I didn't mind the solitude one bit.

Wapiti1

WKR
Solo is peace for me. It's how I learned to hunt elk with a bow. No pressure, no stress, just me, the mountain and the elk. And that damn squirrel that won't shut up. But no one complains when I spend an hour trying to shoot grouse. But only I see, hear, touch and feel it. So, I take a lot of photos and try to tell the story. I'd complain about the pack out, but I love packing elk. I'm touched that way.

With experienced friends it's a mission ordained by god. We know we can get it done, and it's a blast. We laugh and joke, and throw elk balls at each other while we field dress the kill. It's intense, though, and can be exhausting. You have to hold up your end of the bargain, and perform. I'm an OK elk hunter, but my friends live it, so I have to bring my A game. Which is somewhere near their C game. At least I am a good cook. They still invite me, so I must not be too much trouble.

With novices, it is a whole different thing. Teaching, and trying to make them successful. That can be very stressful, but also hugely rewarding. The look on someone's face the first time a bull comes straight in and roars in our faces is priceless. I've had more than a couple guys turn to human jello the first time that bull rushed in and we watched the bull just walk away. No shot. No ability to draw the bow, or just didn't think about it.

So, I have no answer other than I love hunting elk.

Jeremy