Why Solo? Why Not?

Inspiring solitude. Introspection. Challenge. Peace. Accomplishment. Solo.

I didn't find out until after his death (child of divorce), but my father deer hunted/camped solo in the mountains of New Mexico starting when he was 10 years old. I guess it runs in the family.

I did know of one story of him solo hunting. He was 14 and shot a deer. A group of men showed up while he was skinning the deer and claimed they had shot it. My dad told them only his bullet was in the deer. They tried to intimidate him, but he just sat down near the kill holding his rifle. Finally they left. So, solo is not without its risks. And that is part of what makes it so rewarding.

Last edited:

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
For the record all my out of state hunts are solo. But there are times a smart decision must be made....
Morning opportunity presents, Such forecast for continued sunny & 78 degrees like day before, no change of hot weather is in sight and you are 7 miles in. Without horses and just yourself backpacked in, You better have a cool area near stream to store that bull's meat you just put down.
I met a young solo hunter in NM 16b a few years back. Mentioned his last trip out, meat in his pack. He looked exhausted from packing out elk meat solo for 2days in 81 degrees. When I asked, head antlers went out first?! He continued on and the wind drift made my nose twitch-wince!!

^^ This. I love hunting with my buddies, but man it comes with a lot of distractions and temptations! "Oh, let's just run into town quick for a pizza and a beer." "Ahh, let's sleep in tomorrow, we had a late night."

When I'm solo I can focus on what I'm there to do. After I get my animal down I can call my buddies to help me haul it off the mountain! Best of both worlds!
When everyone is busy, and it’s up to you to get the whole elk out of the woods alone, those are of course long difficult days/nights, but there is a satisfying factor of doing it all solo. It’s cool to push your limits and realize it’s possible, and it makes that scenario less daunting in the future.

it used to make me nervous having to get one out solo, now that’s one less thing to worry about, I know I can do it.

there have been a few over the years that I didn’t get in touch with anyone but my wife to let her know I’ll be late, I kind of enjoy it

OP
trophyhill
I started hunting solo out of necessity. It was either go alone or don't go at all; easy choice for me. I honestly do it more for logistics than anything else. I don't have family or hunting buddies that apply in all the places I do or want to take vacation time off for my hunt. I'm not willing to only hunt the weekends or drive hours out of the way to pick someone up when I could be hunting. Hunting is my getaway so I don't let people get in the way.

Still, I plan hunts to go with family when it makes sense. But for the majority of the last 5 seasons I’ve hunted solo.

I'd love to go with family. Unfortunately I am the only one who hunts and it's been like pulling teeth to get them to come out from Ohio even to tag along or hang out at camp.

OP
trophyhill
Wow this post is under elk forum so I'm assuming you are talking about elk hunting solo. I absolutely love bowhunting elk with a partner. So much more fun and successful as we are both excellent callers and understand one another. Not to mention when the elk hits the dirt its a huge bonus to have a partner. Especially since we are way past 5 miles into the backcountry. To each his own but I will prefer to hunt with my partner. After one of us is successful we get to do it again! Its like having 2 tags!

The difficult part in that is finding the right partner. You are lucky. There are only a few I will hunt with when that opportunity arrives. The left brain has to know what the right brain is thinking for sure.

I'd love to go with family. Unfortunately I am the only one who hunts and it's been like pulling teeth to get them to come out from Ohio even to tag along or hang out at camp.

I‘m definitely fortunate I have family to go with sometimes, and I need to remind myself of that more. But having family that hunts has its pros and cons. Hopefully you get that family camp going one of the next couple of years. I can’t imagine much going on in Ohio that would keep me there during elk season!

OP
trophyhill
I‘m definitely fortunate I have family to go with sometimes, and I need to remind myself of that more. But having family that hunts has its pros and cons. Hopefully you get that family camp going one of the next couple of years. I can’t imagine much going on in Ohio that would keep me there during elk season!

Not even the Cleveland Browns could keep me away on any given Sunday lol. Erie 'Eyes would have to wait til October, but that would take a back seat to hunting giant Ohio whitetails. However I am more than thrilled to have lived near the Rockies the last 30+ years.

Oregon

WKR
2 thoughts on this. I hunt Rosies and Rockies. I draw a Rocky hunt every other year. Rosie hunt OTC.
Rocky hunt is a buddy thing. We go camp, have fun and pack meat a long ways. Have zero desire to go solo to elk camp.
Rosies, literally within site of my back deck on house. Set alarm for 530am each morning, go hunt. Home by dinner. Love it solo. If I kill....I start making phone calls

I have found (the hard way) that I prefer hunting solo. I love the peace and the freedom to do what I want, when I want to do it. Married at 20 and kids at 22 didn't allow me much of either for the past 30 years. So solo hunting is what I crave these days.

Having said that, I won't solo ELK hunt unless I have to, for the simple reason that I am not prepared physically to get an entire elk off a mountain by myself. So this past year I got a mule deer tag instead, and it worked out great. Two trips to the truck, and on the road home, happy and healthy.

So for me, it's solo muley hunts from now on, and if my son can come with me, we'll talk about elk.

If you have a solid hunting partner, and work synergistically, it can make for a strong partnership in the field. Tough to beat.
If you have a weak hunting partner or don't compliment each other it can be counterproductive. Make you want to go home early.

I prefer the former but if stuck with the latter I would prefer to hunt solo.

Last edited:
I think one reason is a lot of folks still aren't comfortable in the woods solo.

I met a guy yesterday running some local trails solo and he freaked out when I told him my dog chased a mountain lion a year ago just 20yds off the fire road we were on. He freaked. The guy literally walked along side me all the way off the hill. I tried to tell him there was more chance of getting in a car wreck on the way home vs having a lion attack...he was having none of it.

I think Briadb3 said it well. Its all about spending more time in the woods and increasing your self reliance. I firmly believe we are safer in the woods than on the freeway....and I think the stats back that up.

I've talked to pilots in Alaska that crashed in the backcountry walking out 22 miles, crossing rivers and rough country with a broken collar bone. Even the guys mauled by Grizzlys make it out with a little bit of planning. A few things in your pocket solve the majority of problems you will encounter; a compass, lighter, knife and headlamp.

Once a guy solves this mental issue, then you can truly embrace the amazing remote areas our country offers. Its even better with a bow or rifle in your hand.

________
This is some good stuff right here! I also feel like having a stove is a game changer. At least for me it is... There’s something comforting sitting there with a fire burning at night when there’s nothing else to do

I hunted in the mountains for elk last year for the first time. I’m an Illinois duck hunter and was asked to go along. I became hooked 9 months before the hunt when the research and learning began.
The first night was a cold dark and lonely night in Wyoming. My buddy got sick and was puking. I was without cell service and just wanted to call my wife to hear her voice. I was homesick.
We carried on our with our weeklong hunt. We ran into a solo hunter a few times. I felt terrible for him and couldn’t imagine being out there alone. After all I am a duck hunter and the best thing about duck hunting is being with a blind full of your buddies. My the end of the week my buddy and I had all the conversations we could of had. We’d hike back into the back country everyday and I started finding peace with the solitude as we would hike silently up the trail. That is when I realized there is something more to this than hunting. The time for self reflection was refreshing and it renewed me. I was hooked on the mountains and couldn’t wait to get back to tell family about my experience.
As an introvert myself I absolutely can see how a solo hunt can be so appealing. The buddy I hunted with last year is unable to make the trip this year. I’ve asked a few others to come along with me I either don’t know them that well or they aren’t too interested. That left me with the options of go solo or don’t go at all. Well it didn’t take long for me to figure out which option to take and now I’m on a pursuit to prepare for my first solo backcountry hunt. I’m looking forward to the challenge, mentally and physically. I only have 6 more months to prepare so it’s time to get on it! Quite the mindshift from 5 months ago on our first night in Wyoming but the mountains are too rewarding to let your brain get a little butt hurt over a little homesickness.
FYI- we never drew our bows that trip but we did find plenty of elk. That is also good for the psyche.

For - A GOOD partner can teach you things, call an Elk to you, encourage you, help pack out an animal, help drive, help split the cost, help scout, has that piece of gear you don't have at the right moment, get help, someone you can later reminisce with about the hunt, after the hunt.

Against - partner turns out to be all about themselves, always discouraged, drops out of the hunt at the last minute, decides they want to go back home before the hunt is over. When it comes down to the wire and your hunting partner seems to be getting a little unsure about going and you are all fired up ready to go, it's best to go without them. The last thing you want on a hunt is someone that is unsure they want to be there. It's best too if they are as fit as you but it really isn't the most important thing but they must be ready to deal with outdoor living conditions or they won't be happy campers. Also if you are driving together you don't want to go in your partners truck if you are even a little unsure if they might not be willing to hang in there whatever happens. That happened to me once. It won't again. That's why you have back up plans. If the Elk aren't one place you go to another. It can be exhausting but that's just part of the game. But also it can let you explore that unit you always wanted to check out.

*zap*

WKR
Good company is a good thing, bad company sucks. Good company is hard to find. That is true (imo) for life in general not just hunting.
Some folks just do not want to be alone, ever. Some folks have no trouble with being alone. Personally, I would rather be solo than have a lot of drama or deal with self centered/inconsiderate people.

I have the best of both with a "hunting" partner that doesn't hunt. He comes along just to enjoy the mountains and get time away from work. We split gas and the cost of things (tag is of course on me). He sleeps in and sticks around camp or goes for random hikes. I get up early and hunt solo and see him back at camp at night. If animals are down, he grabs a pack and heads out.
Whitetails are 100% solo

I have the best of both with a "hunting" partner that doesn't hunt. He comes along just to enjoy the mountains and get time away from work. We split gas and the cost of things (tag is of course on me). He sleeps in and sticks around camp or goes for random hikes. I get up early and hunt solo and see him back at camp at night. If animals are down, he grabs a pack and heads out.
Whitetails are 100% solo
Can I borrow him for a week?

ElkNut1

WKR
Like many here I enjoy both ways! Solo has its benefits but it does keep me from going too deep in many instances. Getting an elk out is more stressful but certainly can be done.

I enjoy the camaraderie of others no doubt, it really makes the hunt to call for others & share in their success. I enjoy that part of it these days more than filling a tag myself.

My Son is my only hunting partner & has been since he was old enough to hunt & before, he's 42 this year. We still team up & share calling in bulls for one another & others. Between those two ways I enjoy the tag team portion much more because of the back & forth sharing aspects. The packouts are more doable as well.

ElkNut/Paul