Why the Classifieds purge of the SLC?

Terrapin

WKR
"Rolling ball" is an issue for about 5% of people, not really as common as people make it out to be. I was worried about it when I ordered my 10x50 ELs but never had any issues with them. They're just plain amazing, I won't use another binocular.

ELs make me nauseous... always have. So do contact lenses and certain flat screen televisions. The ophthalmologist explained that it had something to do with how my eyes/ brain interpret visual space. I had a hard time paying attention to him because I was busy throwing up in the bushes in front of his office after trying out set of contact lenses he recommended. Good thing he was a friend.

I see the rolling ball or globe effect. It is horrible if I pan, not so bad if I pick something out with the naked eye and bring the optics up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer slc, haven’t found a better 10 power yet. All personal preference but don’t see myself ever selling mine! Have sold el 10 powers twice though with no regrets

HookUp

WKR
The SLC 10x aren't much further along than the mid tier glass. The gap is narrowing. I sold mine several years ago to go to a mid tier 12x and have zero regrets or plans to go back.

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
The SLC 10x aren't much further along than the mid tier glass. The gap is narrowing. I sold mine several years ago to go to a mid tier 12x and have zero regrets or plans to go back.
What did you end up with?

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR

My eyes tell me different. Everyone sees things individually, but from the side x sides I’ve done, the SLC is better than the MeoStar, conquest, and trinovod. Toss Monarch HG in the mix too. Those are the lines built to compete directly with the SLC.

That said, I think your overall point is valid. There is a spot where the return on investment starts to get very small. You spend a lot more for a very minimal, slightly noticeable (likely only in the low light or harsh light scenarios) difference.

The big challenge with lower tier binos isn’t the quality or ability, it’s the resale. Even the monarch HGs have this problem. The moment you open and keep them, might as well consider 30% gone. Or greater. Swaro holds value. Bc of the name. The service. And the product. And did I mention the name? Folks like having that green bin around their neck, whether it matters or not.

HookUp

WKR
What did you end up with?
12x36 canon IS. Eliminates the need for a tripod. The glass isn't as good but its plenty good all at the same time. The best set of bino I ever owned were 12x50 El. I got tired of being married to a tripod and sold them. Everything is a compromise and feel that Alpha glass attributed for no more animals than mid tier glass in every hunting situation I have been in.

The bull in my avatar was glassed up with my Canon binos and a Athlon Ares 65mm spotter. I couldn't exactly tell what he scored or how many points he had from a few miles away. But I could see he was a "shooter" and I had plenty of info to decide to drop into his hell hole for a shot.

Last edited:

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I sold mine because I didn't like the focus knob. Moved on to the HG's .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk