Why used prices on here so high?

Fry

FNG
Ive seen boots that cost 270 new for sale on here by members for 230. Thats not even a 20% discount for used pair of shoes without a box.

Clothing is similar. Are people really buying this stuff on here? Or are my expectations for good deals too high. If you selling used clothing or shoes, to me, Id only buy at yard sale prices…

Electronics and other non clothing goods have seemed like good deals though. With the exception of Nock-on releases (those sell used for almost same price new wth?!).

Again, should i shop with expectations used on here is magically as good as new? Or do others agree some people are out of there minds/unrealistic.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of the stuff being sold here is either never used with tags or lightly used and well taken care of. Those are what I’m typically seeing with still a higher price tag but seems fair given the market and rising prices of goods. The really used stuff is generally priced fair from what I’ve seen and gives good deals.

If you joined to get deals in the classifieds this probably isn’t the right place for you.

Wvroach

WKR
You aren't buying Walmart clothes from a yard sale for a quarter on here. It's a different market.

If you don't like the price move on to something else. I'd say make a offer but some might get insulted offering a dollar for $300 boots.

It's hit or miss. Some stuff is a steal, others are close to retail.

However, a lot of high-end gear holds its resale value very well, which helps justify its steep pricetag "new"

Rifle scopes seem to be high on the classifieds. I don’t know if it’s increased demand, low availability, or what. I’d been thinking about adding another SWFA 3-9 or LRHS 3-12, but both seem to be going for ~$200 more than I paid less than a year ago. Plenty of examples in the at or above current-new prices category, too.

Chalk it up to inflation I guess. Someone is always willing to pay.

I agree. Most stuff isn’t a deal in the classifieds. You can almost always get at least 10% off new price for something. So if I’m not getting 20%+ off in the classifieds here I’m just buying new.

With scammers out there it’s not worth paying almost the same as new price from an individual.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I think a couple years ago, you could definitely find some decent deals, seems those days are over however. What gets me is seeing a good deal on Sitka or Mystery Ranch on Camofire, then a month later, you see those same things in the Classifieds for more than what they were on Camofire....

Coastie6

FNG
Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Simple supply and demand. In my opinion, while the diminished supply chain we've been seeing lately and manufacturers out of stock on many items certainly doesn't help. Another phenomenon feeding the monster is the "Gotta have it NOW!" mentality of some people.

Just look at the used vehicle and home markets. I understand that sometimes you've got to have something right now. With a vehicle might be after a totaling accident etc. or relocation for a home. However, a whole lotta folks who really don't NEED something immediately just got to have it NOW! It's their money, and if they want to pay a premium to have something right away, then go for it. Personally, I choose not to create a demand.

As a side note, without looking, I was offered $4K more than I paid 4-years ago for a T4R and a buddy was offered almost $6K more than he paid for a 1 year old Jeep. Both these offers were for a direct purchase by a dealer (no, neither of us sold). Thought that was just CRAZY! Guess the same applies to some items here and elsewhere.

Again, if you have to have something and you're willing to pay a premium go for it, it's your money. If you're selling and you get a premium price for your item, good for you! Just not my way.

Rob5589

WKR
Rifle scopes seem to be high on the classifieds. I don’t know if it’s increased demand, low availability, or what. I’d been thinking about adding another SWFA 3-9 or LRHS 3-12, but both seem to be going for ~$200 more than I paid less than a year ago. Plenty of examples in the at or above current-new prices category, too.

Chalk it up to inflation I guess. Someone is always willing to pay.
Both of those scopes are basically unobtainium so the prices make sense.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lots of folks screamed and screamed that everyone needed to put shipping and PP fees into the asking price. Well........there you go. And shipping these days is definitely not cheap. I got some shipping estimates on a tripod I was selling, and the cheapest was $47. No one wants to pay that, so I just kept it. Good thing too.....my other tripod just broke.