Why you dont hunt with some people anymore

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I almost exclusively hunt with family. Have never really encountered any issues with any of them. Some mentored me and likewise I have mentored others.

2 things I absolutely cannot stand are;
- one uppers that can’t fathom someone else could have had success, and
- someone who can’t be quiet and enjoy the silence, they try to suck all the oxygen out of the room.

I would never want to be on a mountain with someone whose main interest is getting hammered, but a few years ago, I was on a hunt and stayed on the mountain while my buddy went down to see family. The next night, I hiked down to where we parked the truck, met him and when we got to camp, he presented me with a fantastic sandwich on a bakery roll and a cold Dab beer. No need for a case, but that sandwich and ice cold beer, under the stars... tasted good enough that I still remember it. That was a great moment of contentment courtesy of a higher grade of hunting partner.

2ski

WKR
I have a buddy who's dad went out with us to hunt. He'd never shot a deer. So when I found that out, I put my rifle over my shoulder and wasn't going to shoot until his dad got a deer. He did. Later though we're driving around and I start to suspect the dad has a loaded rifle. In the car while we're driving. So the next time we stop a then get back in the truck, I unload the chamber as he's sitting there holding the gun. I said there's no need to keep that gun loaded in the vehicle. Plus he'd already shot something. Why does your rifle need to be loaded? He meekly disagreed but could see I wasn't in the mood to be argued with.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I have been lucky to have 4 or 5 great hunting partners. My favourite being my son. One thing I do is I always plan my trips solo and then invite my buddies. If someone cant make it it never effects me or the hunt I have planned. All my partners always contribute to the camp and the hunt but in different ways. I am a senior now and most of my partners are younger. They generally do more of the "heavy lifting" around camp and I will take on different chores such as cooking and dishes to make up for that. All my partners are upbeat and fun to be around! We never talk about sharing costs or fuel but we all try to outdo each other in providing! We all try to make sure the "other" guy gets onto game. And on that note, its all about being hunting and never about taking an animal.
If everybody had hunting partners like I do this thread wouldnt exist!
You guys are doing it right! I find that it's usually way more than hunting, just all around being a good person.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I have buddies that I will happily share a camp with but when it comes to hunting, I want to be on my own.

Only exception is if I've offered to guide someone on their first hunt, an offer I don't make lightly

Gobbler36

WKR
Haven't seen anyone mention drinking in camp. I won't hunt with anyone who has to have alcohol on a hunting trip. I can get plastered with the best of them, and I love my beer, but it has no place in a hunting camp. I've had this rule my whole live, as has my brother, and we both drink a lot of beer at home.

One time our oldest brother brought a friend to our deer camp, and they each had a case of beer they planned to drink over that weekend. Without saying a word, my other brother (who is a real hunter) and I just started packing up our sh.t and we left. Our oldest brother couldn't believe we would leave on a Friday night, but we told him we weren't going to stick around and watch them get drunk, ruin our hunt and who knows what else with their guns.

I simply won't hunt with anyone who has to bring alcohol to camp. I've told more than one person that if they can't hunt without alcohol, they might have a problem with alcohol.

I know that's not a popular opinion among hunters, but it's my rule and I don't apologize for it.

This is also most likely the reason that I lose so much weight in elk camp each year. LOL
Also mine.
I keep a couple brews in the truck for a celebratory one when we are successful and back at the truck, but I’m not out there to party and act like I’m on vacation at the beach. To each their own, I kinda wish more hunters would get plastered come to think of it. Might give me more of an edge lol

mck71

WKR
I won’t hunt with my best friend’s work buddy anymore. Went duck hunting and 1) he nearly shot me in the head while I was retrieving some downed teal when another flock made a low pass over the decoys, and 2) after filling HIS limit, he kept shooting because there were 5 of us and the rest of us had not limited out yet. After straightening his butt out, he then sulked for the rest of the hunt. Never again with that dude.

ozyclint

WKR
2 things I absolutely cannot stand are;
- one uppers that can’t fathom someone else could have had success, and
- someone who can’t be quiet and enjoy the silence, they try to suck all the oxygen out of the room.
Agreed.
You reminded me of this scene in Crimson Tide. from 0:40

"Your stock just went up a couple of points."

AAABucko

FNG
Classified Approved
This has probably been mentioned but always complaining about gameplan, strategy, approaches to different situations and the mood is always impacted regardless.

The lost in the woods thread got me thinking why I dont hunt with some people anymore. Ill get it started. One guy in particular did all this in a few seasons. Hes still friends with our group but no one will hunt with him.

Got lost multiple times in easy areas, even during daylight.
Discharged firearm in camp (not accidental) and at night.
Cant hold his liquor, would then sleep in.
Altitude sickness due to cigarettes, beer, and a horrible choice of food before hiking.
Put out a cigar in duff, caused 30 acre forest fire the night before opening day.
Doesnt bury shit, shits 10 feet from camp.

Those arent in order but the last straws were the firearm and forest fire. Lets hear your stories of why you dont hunt with some people anymore...
Jesus

This thread makes me thankful that folks were patient enough to put up with my BS while I was getting into hunting (although I’d like to think I wasn’t on par with some of the bad/sad examples above).

I’ve been lucky to have 4-5 great hunting partners. But most have moved away and/or taken up bow hunting.

I like taking newbies out, but haven’t had anyone turn into a dependable hunting partner (lotsa folks want to spend a day or two in the woods and shoot at stuff, but don’t realize what goes in to making a hunt a success and aren’t prepared for that level of commitment).

It’s tough to find people who are committed enough to the scouting and hunting to make it happen, but not so intense or egotistical that they ruin the experience when you are out there.

One guy I went with wouldn't stop smoking weed, I mean he was just smoking non stop. I dont care if people smoke pot, it's their business but in the boat, in camp, in the field this guy was constantly hitting the pipe. It was pretty ridiculous.
Had a buddy like this. Now we just play music. Shame, he’s good with horses.
Guys who, when the trip is over, say "you can have all the birds/fish, etc." and don't offer to help clean even though they happily harvested them.
This would literally be my dream hunting partner.
Then there’s the group that likes to drink while in the blond.
I know what you meant to write but my brain is still 14 years old sometimes.

Sky

FNG
Good hunting partners are really hard to find, there are people that rarely take time to help you on your hunt but they expect you to spend your time on theirs...

Had a buddy this past season make a game plan the night before the hunt. We all knew the plan and when we arrived to our meeting point, he continued to drive right past us. Back at camp that evening, when called out on what he did, he just said well thats not where I said the elk were. Everyone called BS and he no longer is welcome at elk camp!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I mainly hunt by myself or with my son. But the last two years I have tried introducing some new people into hunting. Took this one guy elk hunting and I guess I didn’t do a good enough job of explaining the elevation gain I had shown him multiple times on the map, or just how tough a few miles up the mountain really is . In hindsight, I would have done more summer scouting, training and workouts with him, but he never initiated, it was always me. (ie. calling the day before draw deadline, calling to check up and make sure he was getting ready). Long story short, end of first day he was ready to go home. Fast forward next year, same guy, I’m thinking an eastern plains whitetail hunt would be better. Same dynamics though, I had to initiate calls to make sure tags were purchased before deadline, make sure he had remembered dates, etc etc. I never got a call to ask if he could come with me or go scouting or anything. I hiked in a double bull blind about a mile and we sat all day. Saw a dandy of a buck right before dark but was just skirting public and never presented a shot. I knew if we were back in that spot the next morning we would likely get a shot. He didn’t want to hunt the next day…..
I did however have an awesome experience with a different person this year, helping him get his first ever big game animal. We went antelope hunting in eastern Colorado and the guy ended up shooting a decent little buck. He got really emotional as his father had recently passed. It was an awesome day and it was awesome to share in that experience.
End of the day, I will continue to hunt by myself mostly, but I will also continue to take some new people hunting. You have no control over what other people do, what they want to do, or how much effort they are willing to put in. I think the key is never put yourself in a position where you are relying on that other person for the outcome of the hunt, shelter or safety, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a friend that was a new hunter. Offered to take him out. Acted like he was to good to hunt public (red flag), so we went to family land he had permission on. Hunted it only to find out he had permission for him only. Found this out from his wife after the fact. I chalked it up to an honest mistake. Next time he takes me to his uncles land that he swears we have permission on. Uncle is not there when we get there (second red flag). Shortly into the hunt get a text from him that I need to get to the truck ASAP. While I’m still in the tree a couple rough looking dudes in a side by side drive under me. They looked pissed and I overheard them talking about finding the trespassers. Never hunted with him again, and thankfully lost touch with him over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk