Why you dont hunt with some people anymore

cday34

FNG
Planned an elk hunt for 2 years (he had little kids at the time and it was the soonest he would be able to go). Day 4 of a 12 day hunt and he decided he wanted to go home. His exact quote was "I would rather be working than be here". We were seeing elk everyday too which makes it that much worse.

On the silent ride home (30 hours) he said "I guess I like talking and thinking about elk hunting more than I actually like elk hunting"

Never again.

Planned an elk hunt for 2 years (he had little kids at the time and it was the soonest he would be able to go). Day 4 of a 12 day hunt and he decided he wanted to go home. His exact quote was "I would rather be working than be here". We were seeing elk everyday too which makes it that much worse.

On the silent ride home (30 hours) he said "I guess I like talking and thinking about elk hunting more than I actually like elk hunting"

Never again.

Wow. He should’ve rented a truck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR

Never again.
Yeah I would have dropped him off at the nearest car rental place and headed back.

I’ll flip this on myself, because I’m likely the guy another dude doesn’t want to hunt with any more.

Went to Co last year with a guy that I had known for a couple years and spent almost every day talking with this dude about western hunting. Time for the trip came, and we headed up to elk hunt after our mule deer plans were ruined by fire.

Found out that I don’t do well driving on some of those mountain roads. Freaks me out and my heart rate was probably at 130 for almost 30 minutes just driving. We got to our spot, but I made it painfully clear I’d rather find a different way back.

The hiking wasn’t bad, hunted for a couple days but just couldn’t find elk. Then the chances of snow got real. Local news stations were telling folks to stay off the mountains and get to town because over a foot of snow could fall. That freaked me out even more because we were in a 2wd Yukon and I know I’m not comfortable driving those roads with ice and snow. I’d say “we” pulled the trigger to head back to the flat lands, but I think the dude was just agreeing to get out of the trip.

When the temps dropped and the snow started falling the next day, we tried to figure out where the OTC tag would get us. We started trying to figure out if we had what was needed to hunt in the snow, and the idea was brought up to just grab a hotel room for another night and wait it out. Me being a cheap ass and also not wantin to get stuck in Co, I said that if we were going to stay we would have to stay in our tents and hope it was all gone in a day to head back.

well, some more talking led me to the ASSUMPTION that we should just head home. Drove the whole way back without a bad word between us.

Flash forward a week and I haven’t heard a word from the guy. Tried to talk to him through a mutual connection with no success. To this day, haven’t heard a word from him. Turns out that he must not have been too keen on bailing out.

I have promised myself that I’m never coming off the mountain early again and won’t use my own issues as a reason to end something for someone else.

edit: I do know how much I sucked for that, and ain’t nothing anyone can say to me I haven’t said to myself. Lesson learned the hard way and I am determined to be less of a douche.

Last edited:

Calcoyote

FNG
I just now found this thread.

For several years now I have either hunted alone or with my two sons. No one else. My wife worries about me because I am alone, but I have known too many guys that were intelligent, wise, and law abiding, but they transform into IDIOTS when they are in the woods with a gun in their hands. I could tell horror stories. I am not going to wait all year long for hunting season just to have it ruined by guys that want to trespass on private property, shoot a deer after legal shooting hours, shoot a deer illegally from the road, empty a box of shells in prime hunting country for target practice just because they are bored. I also get disturbed by "friends" that want to leave our campsite littered with trash and human excrement.

When I am hunting alone I can get up as early as I want or drive into town at the end of the day for a hot meal rather than cook in camp if I want. Hey, I have even had nights that I drove into to town a rented a room for the night rather than stay in the tent. Hunting alone is MUCH more flexible.

I do miss having a hunting buddy or two, but I still have a grand time.

Dirtbag

WKR
When I am hunting alone I can get up as early as I want or drive into town at the end of the day for a hot meal rather than cook in camp if I want. Hey, I have even had nights that I drove into to town a rented a room for the night rather than stay in the tent. Hunting alone is MUCH more flexible.
I hunt alone most of the time for this same reason. I hate wondering what the other person wants to do. If I want to leave early or stay an extra day I want that ability. Flexibily almost always outweighs the pros to having someone else in camp.

Btaylor

WKR
Hunting out west, I have settled on mostly hunting by myself because most of my hunting buddies are not physically able to hunt where I hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I first moved to AK, I mostly hunted alone but I always jumped at the opportunity to hunt with guys who invited me. One guy I went with wouldn't stop smoking weed, I mean he was just smoking non stop. I dont care if people smoke pot, it's their business but in the boat, in camp, in the field this guy was constantly hitting the pipe. It was pretty ridiculous.

I don’t hunt with sone people anymore because they are lazy. Or, they were rarely on time. Or, you always had to leave early because something always comes up that requires them to have to go home. I truly can’t respect a man that allows a woman to deprive him of things he enjoys. I don’t even mention hunting to those old friends. Because they’ll get all involved then drag their problem into the trip. Ruining it for every one.

I recall a guy on another forum that would give his Denali highway hunt recap every year. The last two years I read it, he cut his hunt way short because he said his wife was telling him she couldn’t handle the kids while he was away hunting. He kept telling everyone his wife had played the guilt card the entire time. But, he’d drag the story out to the end before announcing it. Then, he’d put it in a way that he was wanting to be told he did the right thing.

not my family or wife. But, I’m not coming on an internet hunting site discussing my martial problems when I was supposed to be recalling a hunt.

Anyways, the older I get, the more I want to hunt. The more I want to kill. I’m opposite of most. So, I get pretty serious. I don’t have to have that out of a partner. I just have to have his willingness to do my thing while he does what makes him happy. And, short of a real emergency, not packing up and leaving because his wife is pissed or making him feel guilty.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
I just now found this thread.

For several years now I have either hunted alone or with my two sons. No one else. My wife worries about me because I am alone, but I have known too many guys that were intelligent, wise, and law abiding, but they transform into IDIOTS when they are in the woods with a gun in their hands. I could tell horror stories. I am not going to wait all year long for hunting season just to have it ruined by guys that want to trespass on private property, shoot a deer after legal shooting hours, shoot a deer illegally from the road, empty a box of shells in prime hunting country for target practice just because they are bored. I also get disturbed by "friends" that want to leave our campsite littered with trash and human excrement.

I do miss having a hunting buddy or two, but I still have a grand time.

Guess they went to Uncle Jimbo's school of hunting.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The lost in the woods thread got me thinking why I dont hunt with some people anymore. Ill get it started. One guy in particular did all this in a few seasons. Hes still friends with our group but no one will hunt with him.

Got lost multiple times in easy areas, even during daylight.
Discharged firearm in camp (not accidental) and at night.
Cant hold his liquor, would then sleep in.
Altitude sickness due to cigarettes, beer, and a horrible choice of food before hiking.
Put out a cigar in duff, caused 30 acre forest fire the night before opening day.
Doesnt bury shit, shits 10 feet from camp.

Those arent in order but the last straws were the firearm and forest fire. Lets hear your stories of why you dont hunt with some people anymore...
I think I use to hunt with him. Sounds the same.

mtnlomo

FNG
Lack of physical fitness, afraid of the dark.

One guy would legit RUN after elk herds. If I started calling back and forth with a bull or herd this dude would come running. No matter how many times it failed miserably for him he would run. Even when no elk were around he would start jogging down elk trails. Oddly enough around day three of every hunt he’d be burnt out...

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Lack of physical fitness, afraid of the dark.

One guy would legit RUN after elk herds. If I started calling back and forth with a bull or herd this dude would come running. No matter how many times it failed miserably for him he would run. Even when no elk were around he would start jogging down elk trails. Oddly enough around day three of every hunt he’d be burnt out...

Wow, seriously? Did you tell the guy he didn't have to catch the elk with his hands? Like... Does he know how fast bullets travel?

Oh man I've got a few good ones
One fellow begged to hunt with my Group one season because he heard we saw bears all the time.
I invited him to join me on a second week of the season hunt. I pick him up at his house and we head up on a Friday . We hunt till Sunday and head home.
He was a 5150 phsyco the whole time. Tried to argue with everyone we met . Ran down trails to catch the animals apparently , and had the creepiest stories ... super weird dude . At the end he asks what he owes and I say $50 for gas , 50 for food and beer .
I hear through the grapevine weeks later that he thinks I got over on him because he didn't shoot a bear and I fleeced him for 50 in fuel and he thinks I was on company fuel.
Blockd his # and told a mutual friend to make sure he crosses the street if he ever sees me again
Total stooge

nick15

FNG
I'm more of a small game & fishing guy but I'll take a stab -
1. Guys who always want to go and talk about it in the offseason but invest no time in scouting, gear, etc. Basically want you to be their guide.
1a. Guys who do some scouting but are generally clueless on finding game.
2. Guys who want to sleep in and be back early.
3. Guys who say they can't go because they have chores around the house or other bs (not talking big, remodeling type of chores) or say their wife won't let them go when you know they just don't really wanna go - just say you don't want to go for Pete's sake.
4. Guys who you take out and then act disappointed if you don't bag much - sorry bud do your own scouting, etc. then.
5. Guys who, when the trip is over, say "you can have all the birds/fish, etc." and don't offer to help clean even though they happily harvested them.

I think the one thing that gets me is trusting someone with your spots. The spots you spent countless hours and miles looking for. It seems like in this day age no one can be trusted with that info or Atleast very very few people. Mostly just hunt with my close family for that reason.