Why you dont hunt with some people anymore

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Lateness!
It is usually going to my camp (I'm driving and paying for everything) or my duck boat. At least have the courtesy to be on time!

Torino

FNG
Anymore I roll solo. I’m sure I’ve been “that guy” on some trips in my own way, other times I’ve dealt with “that guy.” The challenges and conveniences that come with solo trips are still fun and enjoyable for me.

That said I’ve never hunted with someone I wasn’t friends with long before going out together. So I’ve never dealt with any major personality clashes in that setting. That usually gets sussed out much sooner.

JiminAZ

FNG
This thread has made me very, very thankful for my wife (who either tells us to go or comes with us) and my boys who at this point are mostly better at it than I am.

I have had a couple of good hunting buddies over the years. No issues but jobs took us to different parts of the country, etc.

Did meet a guy at the gun range once who found out we were rabid quail hunters and told us about a spot he knew of if we would just take him with us. So that trip had many of the elements of your accounts here. Wasn't ready at 5 AM or whenever it was we were picking him up. On the way there he announced he was worthless without breakfast so we had to stop for that. Then when we got to this spot he stayed down low while we scoured the hillsides. After an hour or two he announced his feet hurt and he couldn't hunt anymore. To his credit there were birds. But that was the first and last with that guy.

Thankfully that's as bad a deal as I've experienced.

So Ive hunted turkey and deer with a nice dude, spotted and helped him kill his first CO deer in a spot that he was brought to. The next year he invites a friend to come camp along who doesnt have a tag which is fine..The following 2 seasons, dude brings a wall tent and new guy has a tag....next year invites his elk camp cronies so 4 new dudes...It was a slow creeping spot busting situation... what makes it extra hard is finding out these elk cronies are party huntin type dudes that are terrible marksman and readily admit to shooting doubles on elk and deer for "the extra tags in camp". Whats tough is even if the guy is a good dude, if he is a big hunting camp kind of person, its best to not bring them to new spots.

Zappaman

WKR
So Ive hunted turkey and deer with a nice dude, spotted and helped him kill his first CO deer in a spot that he was brought to. The next year he invites a friend to come camp along who doesnt have a tag which is fine..The following 2 seasons, dude brings a wall tent and new guy has a tag....next year invites his elk camp cronies so 4 new dudes...It was a slow creeping spot busting situation... what makes it extra hard is finding out these elk cronies are party huntin type dudes that are terrible marksman and readily admit to shooting doubles on elk and deer for "the extra tags in camp". Whats tough is even if the guy is a good dude, if he is a big hunting camp kind of person, its best to not bring them to new spots.

As I read your post above, I reflect on how most hunting (and pregnancies) are kinda "unplanned" :unsure:

Yes, it pisses me off when a buddy is 2 hours late to go out, but I've also been slow (sometimes your just under the weather)... the difference between we guys in the "core group": is that WE CALL months (or the night before if an emergency) and give the option. Rare events stop hunting for sure in our group... but shit happens to us all when not expected, and we sometimes give up a hunt for something more important in life (*but again... not the norm). I'd say we've had 2-3 (per guy) times over 35 years when changes happened after planning.

In fact... I was the one who said, "HELL yes... I'm going to Africa!" about 10 years back. After a few months into planning (almost 9 months before the hunt date)... I discovered that I could NOT bring my meat back home. I was SHOCKED! I mean it blew me away you've go pay $25K or so to hunt exotic and massive animals to NOT be able to bring the meat home (for I'm sure something like $3k etc... I expected that factor). But "no" was the answer from our guide when I asked twice. So I asked the group if someone wanted my seat (which was happily taken the following day by the guy I figured would anyway). I all ended without more than the comment that "Russ is the meat guy, that's cool".

We've had a few guys in and out of the group, and they usually get a first strike... maybe two, when it's "legit". Key is communication is happening at first sight of any hunt trip "changes" one of us might need to make. And IF any game violations, lazy types, non-contributers OR lying is happening... "There as sign!" We have just told one guy over the years that we'd rather not hunt with him after the BS started going down. Not a hard call to make really when you thing about it. Sevel dudes also "self-removed" after they clearly we're into "hunting" like we are.

I mark it down to the fact that we who still hunt together are outdoors guys since birth (ranchers, BLM biologists, farmers, etc.) with backgrounds in hunting. BUT a few of our group started later in life and they showed the "gumption" to be a hunter first... when you hunting at least. Everyone is on par with good gear (often more then needed) food, and a back up rifle. We've made a lot of the mistakes over years, and our planning is down to a paper list we all use prepping/loading. We are ALL prepared and PLANNED out well.

I feel lucky with the group I'm in and we all ave taken leadership roles depending on the situation. There are no "alphas" and we are friends... best friends. It's ALL about respect and integrity.

CorbLand

WKR
686, hunt with your dad as much as you can, mine was my best hunting partner, even with his ways of doing things (just like us all) he passed 3 years ago and there is not a hunt now that I do or go on that I do not think of him, and whish he was with me. Who cares what you kill it's the time spent with dad (and that is limited)?
I ran into a guy that was road hunting one day. His dad had to be late 80s, early 90s asleep in the passenger seat. I stopped and talk to him to see if they had seen anything. His dad could barely move so all he has done for the last couple years is road hunt with him. It was pretty cool to see a guy give up his hunting to spend time with his dad that way.

Tedhunts

FNG
Well... as an owner of hunting property ( total private access of 500 acres w/ cabin), I have generally stopped inviting people to hunt other than family, which is another issue. In past its same, same, same... everyone says they hunt ( meaning they may have once before), but most don't shoot their guns or even know where the gun shoots. Everyone wants to kill a buck "regardless of the management plan" we discussed before they arrived and then a couple have said, well im gonna donate this deer to XYZ because my wife won't eat venison.. I'm like you want me to put you in a tree stand, let you shoot a buck and then your just gonna give it away ???? NO THANKS... the rest common sense stuff.. drink too much, arrive late which interupts my hunting plans.... get text an hour before dark.. shot one, but no idea of hit, out walking around when I ask to stay put... I got tired, frustrated after 15 years of this and came to conclusion to live out my passion and stop setting myself up every year... So far so Good!!!!!!

Ca_Mike

FNG
I ran into a guy that was road hunting one day. His dad had to be late 80s, early 90s asleep in the passenger seat. I stopped and talk to him to see if they had seen anything. His dad could barely move so all he has done for the last couple years is road hunt with him. It was pretty cool to see a guy give up his hunting to spend time with his dad that way.
That became my hunting life for about the last 5 years of my dad's life. His age caught up to him and he began to develop dementia. He lived for hunting though and I knew it would kill him quickly to take that away from him so I made changes to how I hunted so I could keep him in the field for as long as possible. Helped him tag two animals the last year of his life. I knew I had a lot of years of hunting left in me so it became about dad. I cherish those memories.

Attachments

• IMG_20161210_150624.jpg
    IMG_20161210_150624.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 73
  • received_1293304060691410 (2).jpeg
    received_1293304060691410 (2).jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 73

Kilboars

WKR
One thing I try to do with hunting buddy’s is not let them ruin the hunt you’re on. Whether you invite them back or hunt with them again is to be decided after the hunt your on.

I can be a little OCD so I try to see the glass half full. With that said I hunt alone 50% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I gave up on new partners, I had retreated to taking prospective players along on recon trips to explore new ground. I found that 6-8 hrs on ft and horseback usually could give me a pretty good idea of what they were like in the field.

The casual ones got pretty nervous after 3-4 hrs. If I included a 500-600 verticle climb I could see how serious they were about it. On top of that a series of questions usually gave me a pretty good idea whether they were a potential partner or looking for free guiding.

By doing this in really remote areas it is unlikely they would be back on their own - especially if the tour was early in the season where the elk only show up late in the season. The recon usually shows me if I need to cut out the road.

I developed a reputation of being nuts and few ever asked to go. It just wasn't fun for them.

Over 50 years of this has limited me to just family and very close friends.

Zappaman

WKR
The ONE fellow I took hunting in Kansas (where I have lived and hunted public and private for over a decade) was an eagle scout. I took him out on several hunts, bow and rifle. I explained to him he needed range time and also to practice the pull-up shot (or ground off his bag shot). He assured me he was ready to go and practiced up.

We were at the end of a drive trying to steer a deer his way. When we met-up at the end of the hunt we were chatting for those few seconds when a late arrival popped out- perfect 70 yd. broadside shot. Me and another hunter had our rifles up in one second while he stumbled, dropped the rifle, picked it up again and then... he looked at us (we were waiting the whole time for him to shoot while keeping the deer in our sites). He never raised the rifle to get an aim. We both told him "it happens", but after that perfect set-up and all our condolences... he hasn't hunted since.

Some people just aren't hunters... even though they "act" like they "wannabee". Truth is, this fellow (and many like him) ASSume they will be ready without practicing and mentally preparing themselves. He is a fit, young guy... with more mouth than follow-through.

My nephew (after ONE hour of "pull up and shoot" training) went out ON HIS OWN the second day of our pig hunt and pounded a 220 lb. pig ON HIS OWN. He didn't need more training that I gave him and he just HAS that drive that makes a great hunter. I'm trying to get him back out on a longer deer hunt next year-- he's the "family" I've been waiting for (after several older nephews who are too busy with phones and such).

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
OK Roksliders, my hunting future is in you hands. I had scouted a new area for blacktails and invited a hunting buddy to hunt it opening weekend. 5 day backpack trip in a new area. Plans are laid 4 months in advance. He backs out 2 days before take off. Ok, stuff happens. I go solo and have success. He comes with me the second year and we have some success and agree that we'll keep this spot in confidence between us as our go to opener location. Third year (this past season) he asks if he can invite his son. Of course. I'm all for bringing in the next generation and keeping this spot "in the family". The hunting wasn't as good this year and one night during dinner his son starts in with a story "Remember that time last year, dad, when you and your buddy JImmy were up here and you didn't get anything?" I'm thinking "Who the F is Jimmy?" Turns out he had taken another guy to this spot a few weeks after we'd hunted it the year prior. It is public land, but is breaking the code of silence grounds to stop hunting with someone? I am inclined to write last season off as the last I will hunt with this guy. We've known each other for nearly 30 years, so this isn't just some asshat off the street. Let the jury weigh in....
Easy decision for me. I wouldn't hunt with him anymore and would look for a new partner.

WyoKid

WKR
OK Roksliders, my hunting future is in you hands. I had scouted a new area for blacktails and invited a hunting buddy to hunt it opening weekend. 5 day backpack trip in a new area. Plans are laid 4 months in advance. He backs out 2 days before take off. Ok, stuff happens. I go solo and have success. He comes with me the second year and we have some success and agree that we'll keep this spot in confidence between us as our go to opener location. Third year (this past season) he asks if he can invite his son. Of course. I'm all for bringing in the next generation and keeping this spot "in the family". The hunting wasn't as good this year and one night during dinner his son starts in with a story "Remember that time last year, dad, when you and your buddy JImmy were up here and you didn't get anything?" I'm thinking "Who the F is Jimmy?" Turns out he had taken another guy to this spot a few weeks after we'd hunted it the year prior. It is public land, but is breaking the code of silence grounds to stop hunting with someone? I am inclined to write last season off as the last I will hunt with this guy. We've known each other for nearly 30 years, so this isn't just some asshat off the street. Let the jury weigh in....
He did not necessarily violate the agreement as from one perspective he reserved the location between you two as your go to opener and took his buddy the week after. However, he did violate a bond of trust and confidence with a long standing friend. As a matter of common courtesy, he should have at least asked you if he could hunt later in the season with someone else.

While I might not terminate our 30 year friendship over this, it definitely would cause me to take pause and question whether I would share "honey holes" or other information with this person. If there are other offenses and this was the most recent, it might end the relationship. Friendship is a savings account where time and effort are invested for purposes of security and growth of trust and friendship. But if the account is no longer providing a return on your investment, then it is time to move your money to a different bank. Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
The ONE fellow I took hunting in Kansas (where I have lived and hunted public and private for over a decade) was an eagle scout. I took him out on several hunts, bow and rifle. I explained to him he needed range time and also to practice the pull-up shot (or ground off his bag shot). He assured me he was ready to go and practiced up.

We were at the end of a drive trying to steer a deer his way. When we met-up at the end of the hunt we were chatting for those few seconds when a late arrival popped out- perfect 70 yd. broadside shot. Me and another hunter had our rifles up in one second while he stumbled, dropped the rifle, picked it up again and then... he looked at us (we were waiting the whole time for him to shoot while keeping the deer in our sites). He never raised the rifle to get an aim. We both told him "it happens", but after that perfect set-up and all our condolences... he hasn't hunted since.

Some people just aren't hunters... even though they "act" like they "wannabee". Truth is, this fellow (and many like him) ASSume they will be ready without practicing and mentally preparing themselves. He is a fit, young guy... with more mouth than follow-through.

My nephew (after ONE hour of "pull up and shoot" training) went out ON HIS OWN the second day of our pig hunt and pounded a 220 lb. pig ON HIS OWN. He didn't need more training that I gave him and he just HAS that drive that makes a great hunter. I'm trying to get him back out on a longer deer hunt next year-- he's the "family" I've been waiting for (after several older nephews who are too busy with phones and such).
I think you should re read this objectively. New guy gets nervous is all I see from this. The fact Two other guys shouldered rifles would make me pause too. Tough crowd.

Big Bore

FNG
One of my brother in laws. Years ago he invited me deer hunting and put me in a ground blind watching a pond. That night he picked me up and told me he could see me the entire hunt from his stand location. I asked how since he didn’t have binoculars. He said through his scope. Never have and never will step foot in the woods with him again.

I typically plan our hunts a year (or more) in advance. All of our hunts are out-of-state or out of the country. Large deposits are paid in advance to hold dates. On 3 separate occasions, my hunting buddy decided, within days of the hunt, that he didn't want to go . He was willing to forfeit his deposit and didn't give a sh__ that I'd lose mine too unless I traveled & hunted alone.

This month was the last time - the guy made up 10 reasons why he couldn't go and left me driving from NY to SC without a hunting partner. It will NEVER happen again. What a way to end a 30 yr hunting relationship.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
One of my brother in laws. Years ago he invited me deer hunting and put me in a ground blind watching a pond. That night he picked me up and told me he could see me the entire hunt from his stand location. I asked how since he didn’t have binoculars. He said through his scope. Never have and never will step foot in the woods with him again.
Good grief. People are so stupid.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Seems more often than not more people = more problems. I generally enjoy just hunting by myself. I don’t have other agendas to worry about. I can show up when I want, leave when I want, go where I want and the list goes on. I think everyone has to learn the hard way at least once about many of the stories listed here. I certainly have, and at the time my ego was too fragile, and I was too young to not let it sour the entire friendship. The best piece of advise I would give to anyone is, if you find something you think is special test the waters on other areas with new people before committing to taking them. Some of the best people I know outside of hunting become completely different people in these situations. Often times even though you may really want to share that awesome new spot, or whatever it may be, most times it’s better kept to yourself. UNLESS your completely ok with potential problems and go into it knowing they could arise.

Zappaman

WKR
I think you should re read this objectively. New guy gets nervous is all I see from this. The fact Two other guys shouldered rifles would make me pause too. Tough crowd.
To clarify... the NEW guy had hunted with me several times (no deer seen) and was invited to practice his marksmanship while he passed (several times) stating he was "ready to go" (not). Yes, he was nervous like all new hunters, but if you "prepare" (like scouts?) you're going to be able to manage the firearm when the time comes.

I donated a deer to this fellow a month prior, showed him how to butcher it when I gave it to him then. I told him to practice, invited him to do the same-- an he wasn't interested. So the point is that if you say you're ready and your not-- you're wasting my time. Yes, we both had guns ready as we waited for him to pick up the rifle and finish the job that day. The deer stood another 10 seconds after he got the gun back up-- the deer watching it all (as we did) while this guy still didn't make the shot- deer finally ran off.

I won't ask this guy to hunt again. Not because he's nervous, but because I spent time, donated meat to his family, and he said he was ready- he was not and so per this topic: this is why I won't hunt with him again. Tough crowd we were not, we calmly waited for him to get his sh!t together- just said, "there the deer, take the shot." Now you know "the rest of the story"! (as old Paul Harvey used to say) ;)

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't think you come across very well in this story for what it's worth. Hunt with whomever you want, but this sounds like first time jitters compounded by a couple of experienced guys adding to the pressure by throwing their guns up immediately.

Basically dude wasn't fast enough for you on his very first deer and you wrote him off completely. You have no idea whether he was ready or not because you never saw him shoot and only gave him the one chance, but now you sit here confident in your final judgement.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk