Why you should always carry a gun in the back country.

MattB

WKR
I came onto this thread expecting to read about a situation that would support carrying a gun in the backcountry.

To the original post I personally dont see this situation as a reason to carry a gun in the backcountry. I prefer to avoid others when I'm in the outdoors as one of the reasons I enjoy the outdoors is to get AWAY from people. The picture I see from your story I envision as one were I would not have even talked to that FREAK and he would not have even known I was there. Sounds like a stressful experience and basically a shitty trip IMO.

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the original post I personally dont see this situation as a reason to carry a gun in the backcountry. I prefer to avoid others when I'm in the outdoors as one of the reasons I enjoy the outdoors is to get AWAY from people. The picture I see from your story I envision as one were I would not have even talked to that FREAK and he would not have even known I was there. Sounds like a stressful experience and basically a shitty trip IMO.
It was really intended more as an amusing anecdote about the potential weirdos one might encounter in the back country, than an actual threat where we felt or lives truly needed protection with a gun. At the time it was awkward and uncomfortable but nonetheless was immediately funny.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yup. I laughed aloud reading the story and I sure have come across some atypical humanoids out there myself. Thanks for the read.

I always carry. Walked up on a camp in the Utah mountains, surveyed it, felt awkward, approached it and then turned and left. Later found out this was a wanted felon who had been breaking into cabins, trailers and camps, stealing guns. Stretched from Cedar City up to the north. Come to find out rangers had approached the guy and he told them to get out or he would kill their whole family. Not sure how they handled that but most certainly went back with reinforcement to handle this but he had left and was captured shortly after that.

My instinct said to leave, so I did, but had I walked in being friendly, who knows...

Again for me, I always carry, and rarely approach others or let others approach me, I usually hide when I see another hunter so I am not seen.
I am not anti social at all, just not very trusting any more.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't see how a gun would have been beneficial in that situation.

I've met plenty of different characters, sounds like he was probably just high and having a laugh around and not really doing any harm.

It may amaze people to learn that I've hunted my whole life without a sidearm and have never needed one as protection from people, especially from people who try to be nice and offer a meal, weird or not.

If he had of come to your camp and tried something on fair enough but if red flags were going off and you still went there and hung around with the bloke you're kinda bringing it upon yourself if anything goes down

Jauwater

WKR
Many people were killed by a serial killer with the allure of a joint. What pot head shares their weed on a 5+ day trip into the back country? Their preserving that shit to make sure they can pull into their driveway slanted. Gracious, how much weed must he of packed in? Sounds he should practice leaving some creature comforts at the house. Might save his horse a pound or so ;-)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally don't see how a gun would have been beneficial in that situation.

I've met plenty of different characters, sounds like he was probably just high and having a laugh around and not really doing any harm.

It may amaze people to learn that I've hunted my whole life without a sidearm and have never needed one as protection from people, especially from people who try to be nice and offer a meal, weird or not.

If he had of come to your camp and tried something on fair enough but if red flags were going off and you still went there and hung around with the bloke you're kinda bringing it upon yourself if anything goes down
It was really meant as an amusing anecdote instead of a harrowing story of a gun battle.
Many people were killed by a serial killer with the allure of a joint. What pot head shares their weed on a 5+ day trip into the back country? Their preserving that shit to make sure they can pull into their driveway slanted. Gracious, how much weed must he of packed in? Sounds he should practice leaving some creature comforts at the house. Might save his horse a pound or so ;-)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
He had a large Mason jar full of weed that I saw, possibly more stored.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk