Why?

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Determination and attitude! I full expect to bag my elk every time I go out. But even with that mind set, I'd still like to run into a few of those mentally challenged elk that gil-wy is hunting. LOL!

marshrat

FNG
There is great info about hunting elk, and for someone like me, preparing for his first trip, it is great info, but my biggest problem is simply being too far away to do any kind of adequate scouting. I can't afford to travel there over the summer. It just isn't happening. I am on a limited time schedule, and short of listening to advice on this forum, doing my own research and the sheer grace of God, I will have to learn on my own over several seasons unless I am able to go with someone who has extensive knowledge to pass on. I don't even know if my training will be adequate in acclimating to the environment and altitude, but I will be doing my best and do what I can to be successful. I hate trial and error, but until I live in elk country, this will be the only way that I can get out there, and I would rather be out there trying than sitting on my couch watching it on the Sportsmans Channel.

Drelk

FNG
David Long and WapitiBob nailed my previous thoughts perfectly (knowing behavior and knowing the habitat to FIND elk...) and I think Swede summed it up well as far as the PATIENCE and confidence coming from knowledge and PROPER prior preparation (as opposed to just "preparation" - and there is a difference).

The one thing that has stood out for me reading this so far is that two other things that have worked well for me, and numerous others, outside of what has already been presented is - being willing to think outside the box (i.e. doing something different than what you have been, or what most everyone ELSE is doing), and being more committed to hunting the ANIMAL as opposed to hunting for a particular SCENARIO.

If you look at most of the "well known hunters" out there whacking BIG bulls each year (the Ulmers, Evans, Adams, etc.) - aside from them holding premium tags and hunting multiple States - the things they consistently do well, are "doing what it takes," and "thinking outside the box." Part of that comes from the dedication, commitment, physical conditioning, preparation, etc., etc., but a large part of that comes from having an open mind, no preconceived ideas of how things SHOULD be - and the ability to read how they ARE - and a willingness to try something new, and something maybe a bit crazy that might get the job done. ...to identify those opportunities and actually engage in them takes a calmness and level of "critical thinking" that I think SOME people DON'T have (not being critical, just being honest), MANY people COULD have (...just need to maybe adjust expectations, anticipations, preconceptions, etc. a little before and during the hunt), and that a FEW people DO have, and employ during their hunt.

Which leads into my second point. ...I run into - and talk to - tons of people each year that go into the elk season "excited to bugle that bull in", or... they bought a new cow call and can't wait to "call a bull in." Inadvertently, they predispose themselves to one "subset" of tactics, and that's what they stick with. Maybe they want a particular experience, maybe they have a narrower "skills-set" than others, but in either case, they end up - whether consciously or not - running across the landscape looking for a bull that will play THEIR game, rather than running across the landscape, finding an elk, and then playing that particular BULL'S (or cows') "game" in THAT situation. SOOOooooo many times I see people have success slip from their grasp ONLY because they were stuck with one mindset, one particular expectation, a narrow anticipation for a certain scenario, etc. - or - just didn't have the confidence or ability to change tactics on a moments notice to meet the needs of the animal they were working.

Neither of those things are "easy" to just "transition into" if a hunter is not already doing it, but it can be learned. I know we'll be spending a lot of time over on my website helping folks develop those skills, but if folks can even just start THINKING in that direction now, they'll be ahead of the curve when this season rolls around.

Chris Roe

For many years I hunted just as chris roe stated in this post. I wanted to call in a bull so bad on my terms. Not the bulls terms. After getting elknuts playbook on my iPhone so I can workout and listen at the same time I'm beginning to grasp the bigger picture. The 4 bulls I have killed in 17 years of archery hunting should be closer to ten or twelve. I was working very hard to kill those bulls. Just not very smart. Those bulls actually committed suicide. I love stupid vocal bulls. They are just few and far between. This year it's all going to click

OP
S

Swede

WKR
We have recognized several reasons why some people are consistantly successful. Obviously skill and knowledge in elk hunting, including knowledge of your area is very important. This is critical in OTC DIY hunts. Having time to hunt and being prepared are right up at the top of the list. I think approximately 10 days to hunt gives most of us a very respectable chance if we have covered the preparation and skill issues. Unfortunately some rifle hunts are very short. I think being flexible and having a good backup plan can be very valuable. When one hunt plan is not working, do we just keep on doing the same thing? If the elk have moved on, do we throw up our hands and go home? Patience is critical to elk hunting success, but blindly persisting in repeating a failing plan is not good. We need to recognize the difference. Always have a backup plan and an alternative plece to hunt. I have several alternatives within easy travel distance of my base camp. I wil be 65 this coming season and in good physical condition, but I am not going to fuel my body on nuts and granola to hike miles back into a wilderness either.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed 9 elk in 11 years, sw Washington public land. For me it's about recognizing elky areas and staying in them. After that it's just a matter of time. Some guys walk all over but don't stay in elky areas. I grew up in the woods trapping, hunting, and fishing. I think trapping taught me alot about animals behavior.

JNDEER

WKR
It comes down to one thing, and only one thing. WANT. How bad do you want it? If you have the want you will do what it takes to a) hunt where animals are b) understand the animal and its habits c) be in shape to do what it take physically AND mentally to get it done. If you really have the WANT you WILL figure it out. I don't go into any hunt half-a$$ed or thinking I may not punch a tag. When I get out of the truck it's game on, and I know it will only be a matter of time before I make an opportunity for myself. Year around I'm working on what happens Sept-Jan.

x2!!!!!

Somepeople have the 7th sense and some do not. My uncle and I do, the rest of my family does not. We kill game every year and hunt the same or less than the rest of my family, but like Les said...It really comes down to want. You become a "killer" and not just a "hunter"