Wide comfortable sleeping pad?

CoStick

WKR
Hi, curious on suggestions for a wide sleeping pad. With should and neck injuries the standard width does provide enough space to change positions. I have an older big Agnes insulted Q for reference. Thank you

Exped makes some pads that I think are about 40” width but they are heavy. Are you going to be backpacking with this pad?

Exped is the most comfortable I've owned out of 7-8 I've tried. 25" is plenty wide. Exped SynMat XP 7 Insulated covers my 4 season needs. 2.1 pounds and worth every ounce.

• Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Exped makes some pads that I think are about 40” width but they are heavy. Are you going to be backpacking with this pad?
Yes, but I don’t mind a bit of a weight penalty for good sleep.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Big Agnes Q Core SLX in 25x78x4 is a great pad. 25” width is perfect for my ACDF C5-7 (2013) and Rotator cuff (3/2021 RT supraspinatus reattachment). Have heard great things about Nemo, Thermarest, and Exped pads, but 4” thick is very luxurious. Am 71” and 205 lbs for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it is what are looking for but I favor the sea to summit ether light in regular wide rectangle. It is 72” by 25” and 4 inches thick. Still comes in a 22oz. I haven’t used any of my other pads (neo air, xtherm and klymit) since I got it.

if I wanted/needed something more, I might look at a cot.

protip: I build my pillow off the end of the pad using my pack and cloth8ng in a stuff sack.

mapticon

FNG
Exped. Their lighter weight pads are almost as comfortable as the larger/heavier models they sell. And the big ones are the best I've come across. Read the reviews online. People with back problems take them to sleep on when staying at hotels.

HuntnPack

WKR
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad

Temperature:
-4 °F
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18):
Thickness:
3.5 in
Length:
77.6 in
Shoulder Width:
25.6 in
Foot Width:
25.6 in
Weight:
28.9 oz
Weight Pump:
2.1 oz
Weight Packsack:
0.3 oz
Packed height:
11.4 in
Packed diameter:
5.9 in
Pack volume:
5.1 l
Product contents:
Mat
Schnozzel Pumpbag
Packsack
Repair kit
instruction sheet
Repair manual
Warranty:
5 years
MSRP:
$199.00

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad

Temperature:
-4 °F
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18):
Thickness:
3.5 in
Length:
77.6 in
Shoulder Width:
25.6 in
Foot Width:
25.6 in
Weight:
28.9 oz
Weight Pump:
2.1 oz
Weight Packsack:
0.3 oz
Packed height:
11.4 in
Packed diameter:
5.9 in
Pack volume:
5.1 l
Product contents:
Mat
Schnozzel Pumpbag
Packsack
Repair kit
instruction sheet
Repair manual
Warranty:
5 years
MSRP:
$199.00
Would this still be comfortable in warmer weather? Overall sounds about right and Only slightly heavy

HuntnPack

WKR
Would this still be comfortable in warmer weather? Overall sounds about right and Only slightly heavy
Yes, the Exped would still be comfortable.
True R value rated to new standards & no
Cold spots in between chambers & quiet.
3-5 is a good 3 season rating.

One item to consider is some pad manufacturers have not yet adopted the standard R value procedure.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exped makes a good pad, but when they blow a baffle you're better off sleeping on the dirt. Klymit Static V Luxe or V Luxe SL are great options for a way better price than most other pads on the market. Every air pad is prone to issues, from every brand. For weight to warmth ratio you can't top the Xtherm. Some people like it, some hate it. Same with Xlite. All vertical baffle pads feel like sleeping on a pool float to ME. You may enjoy them. Find a store with a good selection and lay on them all. Don't buy any without trying some out. Sleeping pad advice is like boot advice. You have to find the one that fits YOU.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Also remember that sleeping bags are rated with a 4.9 R value pad. If you use a pad rated lower than that you aren't maximizing your bag's warmth either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I use the Exped Synmat 7, although I don't think they make it any longer. 6'2", 225-230, side sleeper, very comfortable.

If you hva neck issues, I would think a pillow of some kind would be very beneficial.