Wide fit hunting boots

MBubley

FNG
Recommendations for wide fitting good quality boot, also can anyone vouch for how wide scarpa fuegos are? I tried scarpa kailash pros and found them a little slim for my liking not sure if break in would change that? How do the fuegos compare to other scarpa boots? Found a nwt pair but no chance to try on this specific boot anywhere local
Thanks for any help

LaGriz

WKR
Wide Foot issues,
I too have problems with finding boots that are wide enough to accommodate both my width, and high insteps. Crazy high volume foot! Have had good luck with Meindl boots from Cabela's in the past. Since Bass Pro took them over, have had little luck finding the models I prefer. I have owned Danner's elk hunter that even when selected in a EE width, found the toe box to be still a little too narrow. Have to limit my selection of socks when I choose to ware these well made boots. Really like the air bob soles for the traction they provide. Have been surfing Christi's but have no experience with them. Good Luck with your quest.

LaGriz

OH->CO

FNG
I always had problems in sports with narrow shoes. When I tried Lowa it was a whole new world for me. They are now my go to for any new boot needs

I had Lowa Tibet’s in wide and they were still too narrow. Danner combat hikers in wide fit good but was not happy with the durability. Bought Crispi Wyoming’s last week and so far they are good to go.

I’ve also gone to skipping the laces over the top of the foot. That gives me a little more room for the boot to flex laterally across my hobbit feet. See picture:FC6B8ABF-22E7-459B-B396-3C58999B0C3F.jpeg

I was really surprised with how wide some of the regular width Crispi's are in certain models. I tried on the Idaho's this week and I can go with the regular in that or the Wyoming's. I'm pretty sure that the Nevada's and Guides would also work in regular width. The Colorado's and Summits were so tight in the regular that I don't think the wide would be wide enough.

I wear the Lowa Tibet's in a wide right now but my feet just get sore wearing them.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of the Mendl USA Comfort Fits bought site unseen in size 9.5 EE. Luckily, they fit perfect for my foot that is wide across the ball and normally a size 10. The seller (Mendl USA) advised to buy a half size smaller than what you normally wear.

They seem like a good boot. They had a lot of wide sizes available, and have a fairly easy process to exchange them if they do not fit.

I have 13 EEE wide feet.

I have some danners that work but they are not my favorite for backcountry. They sell acadias and a few others in 4E width.

I have a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes that are plenty wide.

my current favorite is crispi. on my second pair of Thor’s and a pair of Idaho’s (the high top version of the Wyoming). I run them with a green super foot insole and have plenty of width and volume. My next set of hunting boots will probably be a set of Nevada’s.

for hiking I have had luck with wide versions of Asolo and Merrell but some durability issues with each in the last five years. Midsole crumbling in my asolos and merrell blowing seams. I just picked up a pair of keens and they are ok so far but I only have a few miles on them.

Mosby

WKR
I wear Lowa Tibet's in a wide for most of my hunting but I have a pair of insulated Zamberlain's that are nice for cold weather and not quite as stiff as the Lowa's. Plenty of room in the foot box with a bit heavier sock.

fmarrs3

FNG
I had Lowa Tibet’s in wide and they were still too narrow. Danner combat hikers in wide fit good but was not happy with the durability. Bought Crispi Wyoming’s last week and so far they are good to go.

I’ve also gone to skipping the laces over the top of the foot. That gives me a little more room for the boot to flex laterally across my hobbit feet. See picture:View attachment 287466
This is what I did! Worked well, except wore out the Wyoming I's in less than year. Back to the drawing board for me (see similar post).

fmarrs3

FNG
I tried a bunch and ended up in Crispi Nevada wide.
What's your durability / stiffness perception of Crispi Nevada? any idea relative to other Crispi's? Like I said above, have not had good experience with their Wyoming, but they are quite comfortable.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Danner Powderhorn 13EE here.

I bought them for 20% off at moosejaw which put them out the door under $200. they were almost narrow enough that I returned them but my brother in law convinced me they would break in nicely.

I wore them for a day or two and they fit perfect. They’re only a season old and I’m nowhere near the mountains, but no question my favorite boots I’ve ever owned.

What's your durability / stiffness perception of Crispi Nevada? any idea relative to other Crispi's? Like I said above, have not had good experience with their Wyoming, but they are quite comfortable.
Leather boots are typically considered more durable than their synthetic counterparts. I believe Crispi specifically mentions this in one of their comparison videos. The trade-offs between materials are weight, breathability, durability. Crispi also uses a softer blend for their vibram soles, this adds grips and in my opinion comfort, but it may wear faster than a harder durometer sole.

The Crispi Nevada's are far and away the nicest quality boot I've ever used, so it's difficult for me to compare how they hold up in terms of durability to other brands of similar quality. My Nevada's have seen about 6-weeks of western hunting plus the occasional pack hike throughout the off-seasons. I plan for use them again this hunting season and then take them on a sheep hunt in 2022 before I even consider looking for another pair. And I may not need to then.

Stiffness perception will depend on your weight and gait. I can't see myself ever needing a stiffer boot. The Nevada was plenty stiff for my goat hunt. During my boot search I tried: Scarpa Kinesis, one of the Kuiu Scarpas, Kenetreck Hardscrabble, Meindl Alaskan Hunter, Schnee's Beartooth, and Schnee's Absoraka. If I remember correctly the Nevada stiffness was similar to the Beartooth and Kinesis.

Duckman23

FNG
Im sure someone has mentioned them but the Hanwag Tatratop GTX, Alaska Wide and Wide GTX would be good candidates.

Bearman

FNG
My feet are as wide as a Hobbit's, I had been using boots made by White's of Spokane but they are so heavy!! I got some Red Wing Elk Trackers and they are ok but I am not 100% satisfied.
I ordered the Meindl Comfort Fit Extreme yesterday, I will report how it goes. I have a couple of bait barrels out so I have some hiking every week.

kcm2

WKR
9.5 4E-6E depending upon the shoe. 10W in boots.

I've worn Han Wag Mtn Lights for over 10 years. They're just now starting to separate. Got a pair of Zamberans and love them. LIght, comfortable, plenty of room....no break in period for me. Not cheap but neither were the Han Wags. Lathrop and Sons can help the hard to fit.....you should talk to them if you haven't yet decided. Love my Zamberlans, though.....if they make 10 years this boy will be quite happy.