Wide Idaho Buck

Rizzy

WKR
I came across this Buck while out scouting this weekend in one of my Elk areas. After watching this Buck that afternoon, I put Elk on the back burner. The rifle season opens in about 3 weeks, I hope I can keep track of him til then!

His forks look a little weak, but he might be 28 wide and 170ish. What do think?

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 699

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pictures are a little hard to tell width, I'd put him a little lower than 170 judging by mass and forks alone. Maybe somewhere in the high 150s range, just guessing though, that's all you can do until the above mentioned, get him on the ground ;)

I'm with Dr on this one. Thats a real nice buck especially for a General season deer! Though I'm not sure he'll hit 170. 160-165" would be where I'd put him though that could be wrong! Put him on the ground and let us know! I think your close on your width.. 27-28 could be doable!

Mike

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I agree on the lack of mass and weak forks, the main beams appeared to be longer than average and that's what caught my attention. If I find him again this Saturday (sometimes difficult in wolf country) I hope to get better pics. These pics were taken by me hand holding my iphone in front of my MD50 spotting scope. I have about 30 sec worth of video but it's just as poor.

mtmiller

WKR
You have seen the buck better than me, but I will guess sub-160. Those backs are weak and I don't see mains helping this hindside spread. If it gives you a chub, get him.

I am on the same page as BitterRoot!!! The first and third pictures seem to show decent fronts and the backs although "weaker" are still going to get you close to 8 1/2" on your G3s. Bucks with good fronts score better than most people think and typically have longer mains and net you a greater inside spread because of it. I am thinking low 170s (173 is what I was thinking) a good buck!!! I'm not passing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
170, maybe 28 wide. A shooter!

He should be right there somewhere if it's a remote area. They usually stay within a square mile or less. All the best and hope we get to find out what he really measures!

thanks for sharing. I'd forget about elk, too.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
After two consecutive Saturdays of not finding him, I was finally able to locate this Buck on the first day of my hunt last Friday. He was only a couple hundred yards from where I originally spotted him. I got a better look at him and although his left front is weak, he has a nice sticker on his right side. I attempted a stalk on him and came out with a light pack. I never saw him again the rest of the hunt. This buck is living in the steepest part of the mountain and is surrounded by Talus slopes and Avalanche chutes. He is very hard to get to. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get to him if I see him again Saturday.
I am not set up for good digiscoping pics, this is the best I got of the Buck. Day 2 was foggy all day.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 291
OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Well to wrap it up, this buck is still alive and will hopefully live another year. Even with all the fresh snow I still could not locate this buck again. I'm looking forward to next season and maybe this will turn out to be a "2 year hunt"

One last look at his mountain for the year

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 195
OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Season 2.....Found him! He has friends!

I was finally able to locate the "Rolling Stone Buck" again. When I found him last year, he was sending rocks rolling down the mountain as he walked across the slope, hence his name. He is with 2 other bucks, a small 3 point (top) and a tall narrow 4 point(right). The tall narrow 4 point actually looks like he has stronger forks and might be in the 180 territory in the next couple of years. The Rolling Stone Buck has a really weak right rear for his size, but I still think he is solid in the low 170s this year. He appears to have put on mass and a few inches all around, but not a whole lot. I don't know if he is topping out or if it is just a marginal year for antler growth. It sure is easier to spot them when they are in a group, I hope they stay together til October!

Video to come shortly.

All 3 Bucks

Tall 4 point

Rolling Stone Buck

mtnkid85

WKR
Great footage and pictures. That young 4pt is going to be a hellofadandy in a few more years! Id be guarding that area close for the next 2-3 years.
Your rolling stones buck is looking good too, his fronts are fantastic.

What was your digiscope setup and what distance where those pictures taken from, if you don't mind sharing?

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I'm actually getting more exited about the young 4 points future, hopefully he doesn't crab out. If I find another decent Buck, I might leave that area alone til next year. I think it will be at least 2 years before he starts flirting with 180 though.

Vortex Viper 65
Home made adaptor
Canon powershot A2400s

It's an OK setup and I'm still learning the art of digiscoping. I was about 800 to 1000 yards according to google earth. I measured it thinking maybe I could practice long shots because one point in the canyon is about 450- 500 yards wide. If I catch them at that point and practice long shots.....

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
2014 Update

So here I am on the third year watching bucks on this slope.
I got some video of a nice little 4 point. I don't know if he's last years 3 point or "Sleepy". Seems a little small for Sleepy. I jumped the Big one ("Rolling Stone") buck on the way out, all I got was a glimpse of antler so I don't what he looks like this year yet.

[video=vimeo;101948025]http://vimeo.com/101948025[/video]