Wide sleepping bag choices?

a3dhunter

WKR
What sleeping bags manufacturers make bags with shoulder girth at 73" or bigger?

I run 62" actual shoulder girth, and have been using a Big Agnes bag @ 73" shoulder girth which is comfortable but a heavy bag.

Been looking at the Montbell U.L. SS Down Hugger 30 degree which shows a shoulder girth that goes to 81" and weighs 1lbs 7 oz.

Are there any other bags that are truly wide?

Yeti

FNG
I have broad shoulders as well and felt that the Big Agnes was a little on the tight side for my comfort as I tend move around a lot sleeping. The Monbell U.L SS Down Hugger #1 15 degree long fits me perfect and I dont feel constricted. I would highly recommend it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd have to look at teh specs but I think some of Western Mountaineering Semi-rec bags are pretty darn wide.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of options to consider-
Synthetic, kifaru's wide cut slik bag (tons of room)
Down, call Tom at nunatak and have him build a bag to your specific needs. He uses super quality components. It's expensive (not unreasonable), but how much is a good night sleep worth?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Another option would be to switch to a down quilt. I made the switch and haven't looked back since. Alot of the quilt makers market towards hammock users but they work just as good on the ground. I really like hammock gear quilts, but Warbonnet outdoors, and jacks r better make really nice ones as well. All do custom work and are small cottage industries in the USA. Quilt measurements arnt as wide because they don't go all the way around your body like a sleeping bag. Just as warm, more freedom of movement, and lighter than a sleeping bag. I have used my quilts down to -24f.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Montbell that I love. I went with just the spiral and love it. One thing to keep in mind is that Montbell advertises EN comfort whereas WM uses the EN lower limit. That means that the WM will sleep warmer than a comparably rated Montbell.

I tried the Western Mountaineering Badger and was fine until I zipped it all the way up. I couldn't get out of it fast enough. I went with the Monbell U.L SS Down Hugger #1 15 degree long and it feels like I am sleeping in my own bed.

Yukondog

WKR
I have had a couple BA bags and now the Mont Bell ss 1. At 6'4 i like the mont bell better. Moves and stretches with you.

Matt

Tiger Rag

WKR
I have had a couple BA bags and now the Mont Bell ss 1. At 6'4 i like the mont bell better. Moves and stretches with you.

Matt

I'm 6'3" and have about 56" shoulder width. Just tested the Mont Bell #1 800 15 degree locally and loved it. It doesn't make me feel claustrophobic at all and very comfortable. I really like the stretch baffles and it seems like it will keep the heat in when needed. He didn't have another in stock but has me one coming for next week.

Western mountain has some big bags. I went through this a few yeas ago and went to a down quilt. Absolute best choice I have made!!

n2horns

WKR
Feathered Friends Puffin Nano is a semi rectangular and so is the WesternMountaineering Sequoia, both great bags. WM is a warmer bag. I liked both and found the 20 * FF was the bag for me based on temp rating.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I would pay double for the WM Sequoia, it's my only bag from July to January. Doubles as a quilt in warmer weather, super roomy and with a good stuff sack it will pack down small. I'm not a big guy (5'10" 165#) but after being confined to my Big Agnes mummy bag for a few days on end while on a climbing trip I feel as though a wider bag is irreplaceable and worth its weight. Western can also make a bigger bag, custom fit to your specs.

Vandal 44

WKR
I just bought the Western Mountaineering Badger 6' 6" it says its a 64" shoulder girth. I used the Badger for 6 night so far and I find it a little snug for my liking. I am 6' 2" and weigh 235 I am built like a linebacker. I like the bag its a quality piece of gear, well constructed but wish it was about 4" wider.

I just bought the Western Mountaineering Badger 6' 6" it says its a 64" shoulder girth. I used the Badger for 6 night so far and I find it a little snug for my liking. I am 6' 2" and weigh 235 I am built like a linebacker. I like the bag its a quality piece of gear, well constructed but wish it was about 4" wider.

You sure about that? The badger should be 67" at the shoulders for the long?

I've been in a serious search for a couple months on what bag I will finally purchase. I also like a wide bag and have large shoulders and chest. WM has a few bags, caribou, terralite and megalite are all bags I've been considering, friend loaned me the caribou and it's a wonderful bag. Light, small when packed and great craftsmanship. It's a touch tight in the hip for me as I'm a side sleeper but also have a large ass to. Feathered friends, has the puffin, penguin and the kestral, swift and raven which is the same bag (64/58/40) in 30,20 and 10 deg

Vandal, sounds like you and I are built the same. I like my WM Badger but still felt a bit constricted until I added the Wm zip in expander. Makes all the difference in the world for me. I think it adds about 4" of width at the shoulders.

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big guy..6'3 210#..wide shoulders...I went with an Enlightened Equipment quilt in Long/wide this year...its the single best piece of equipment I've purchased. Its so roomy for big guys and has been great even down to 30f (its a 20f quilt).. I'm a side sleeper and restless to boot.. I've had the best nights sleep in that bag on the ground...my only regret is not buying one sooner!

Vandal 44

WKR
I thought the badger was 64" I could be wrong. Bulldogger, I saw that expander and will be ordering it this week.