Widow Makers at Camp

Ironman8

WKR
If you’ve found a really good area for elk, but your only flat spot in the area to camp (that’s not in the middle of elk travel routes) has widow makers, what do you suggest to do to cut them down?

Without hiking a chain saw into the area, or something else that is big/bulky/heavy/ or especially noisy, what’s the best way to get them cleared?

Is an axe or saw the only way, if so, what size?
Any other recommendations?
Does the noise factor not really matter?

Planning on doing this in the initial hike in this year before setting camp and may only need to clear 2-3 of them (each one is 12-18” in diameter max).

Last edited:
OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
I guess I should also add that this needs to be an efficient method too, nothing that’s going to take all day to get done.

Assuming you can get there ahead of time (well before hunting season), why not just bring in a smallish chain saw attached to a hauler pack along with a small gas container? It will be the quickest and least labor-intensive method. Any animals in the area will quickly forget about the noise.

Think about it. The animals do not disappear around campgrounds that are chock full of people making a ton of noises and have their generators running 24x7? They may go nocturnal for a few days but they don't leave the county.

You get the additional benefits of another training run in the mountains and get more preseason scouting in.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Go in early, maybe during the Summer...make it a project. Pack in a small chain saw and enough gas to get the job done. Find your space. Cut. Don't set your tent up first. Good luck.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
I should have added that I live 16 hours from this area. Summer scouting is probably out this year.

I also considered the risk factor but I think I would sleep better at night knowing they were cleared.

Also, my hunting partner and I have about the only spot big enough for two tents that I’m not worried about trees falling...but our hunting party will be +1 this year and I don’t know that there’s any other options that are clear.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Send me the GPS coordinates and I will assume all risk and remove them for you!! 😉

I was waiting for this comment haha!

It’s steep and nasty to get into. 1100’ elevation change in less than 3/4 miles. We found this area at the end of our 2019 season and got into elk each day we were there, and went back and got my first bull in there last year. I’m hesitant to say it yet, but seems to be a honey hole (for now). Only took us 4 years to find a place like it lol.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
You're talking about "snags", a Widow Maker is a broken off branch in a tree that comes loose when the the tree you're falling starts to move.
Ok so a dead tree standing alone or leaning on another tree is called a “snag”? Huh, I’ve always called them widow makers.

Ok so a dead tree standing alone or leaning on another tree is called a “snag”? Huh, I’ve always called them widow makers.
Widowmaker is a big branch, or broken top high up in a tree that could come down while cutting.

Snag is a sketchy tree failed to fall.

If you cant bring a small saw, but it's pullable you could bring a really long rope tie it off and pull it from far away. That'd be really sketchy though. Best make sure your hands aren't wrapped on the line.

If it needs to be cut you could use a silky, but I believe it's better to just camp elsewhere than put yourself at risk. I'd just camp before the 3/4 mile of steep shit then hike that everyday if it means no sleeping under trees that will kill me.

Hiked an extra mile last season to get a campspot with no beetle kill.

I agree this is a legit question, and it's going to become more and more of an issue. The wilderness area I hunt doesn't have a live tree in the entire forest and I've been thinking about giving up on the place entirely. Mostly from falling trees at night and the time it takes to navigate the horrendous blowdown

3forks

WKR
I was waiting for this comment haha!

It’s steep and nasty to get into. 1100’ elevation change in less than 3/4 miles. We found this area at the end of our 2019 season and got into elk each day we were there, and went back and got my first bull in there last year. I’m hesitant to say it yet, but seems to be a honey hole (for now). Only took us 4 years to find a place like it lol.
Did you camp in the area last year or hike in daily? I wasn’t quite sure from your previous post, and I’m sure you know what you’re doing, but camping where the elk are can push them out.

Accessing your spot each day sounds like it would be a drag, but maybe not as much of a drag of blowing the elk out or having a tree come down on you guys.

Snag, widow maker is, as noted, a broken limb or top that is hung up in the tree. They like to fall when you start felling the tree. Given you are normally bent over looking down, your neck is exposed if it dosent kill you it’ll mess you up.
snags can be very dangerous as well particularly in windy areas.