Wife worried

Elkhntr08

WKR
Wife worries, ups the insurance and watches the inReach so she can find the body.

Y’all have good wives. First thought on my wife’s mind is ‘your hunting again asshole?’ I think she would like me to get lost honestly. Or if i did shed be pissed I was late getting home and didn’t get kids to bed.

I got an inreach and she was mad i bought another hunting ‘toy.’ so yeah look for an inReach for sale soon…

Now my momma, i tell her where im going and when to worry. Send a map with the area circled and know if something bad happens I wont move. Stay put, light a fire. Hell may do that just to annoy the wife!

Squincher

WKR
If you tell her where you'll be or give her a way to track you, how will you be able just take off and disappear if you take a mind?

My loved ones worry more about the elk getting hurt than me. I carry an Inreach. It’s for communicating with my partner to help us kill elk.

Maverick1

WKR
Everyone saying inreach mini. Not here. I went a different direction and have a Spot device.

Why? Two reasons.
1. Because when I bought the Spot device in 2009 or so the inreach mini was not available.

When the mini became available years later I reviewed it and still stuck with the Spot device, because:

2. The Spot device is a one-way communication means: I send a check-in message three times a day and that works great.

I don’t want to be sending OR receiving customized text messages back and forth.

mhabiger

FNG
Another vote for satellite messaging devices. I provide my wife with access to my scouting waypoints, do a check-in when I leave the truck so she knows where the vehicle is parked and then send her morning and evening check-ins. We've made the agreement that if 24hrs passes without a checkin, she should start calling local authorities.

We've had two issues over the last 3 years (around 35 days total). My first hunt last year the morning checkin didnt go through to her even though it showed sent on my side. She sent me a message early afternoon asking if I was alright.

The other issue was 2nd time out after getting the device a bunch of stuff went haywire at home. She sent a lot messages. Burned my battery up and ruined the day of hunting. Luckily it was the last day of the hunt but since we've agreed its checkins and serious emergencies only for messaging.

@Maverick1 raises a good point with one way devices.

CJinGA

FNG
I turn the InReach on when I get in the truck to start driving to the woods (so I don't forget later). It sends a track every 10 minutes to the Garmin website where she can follow along on the map if she wants. Sending messages is so-so around here in the pine thickets of GA. I think I read somewhere that the comm satellites are a different array than the tracking satellites, and don't go overhead as frequently, so messaging may be spotty if you don't have a clear shot at the sky. For that reason, I never tell my wife that I'll check in with a message at specific times. If something happens and I don't make it out at night, at least there is a breadcrumb trail folks can use to find me.

OTOH, when I go out west, it does send/receive messages more consistently, so I'll check in with her every once in a while in addition to the tracking.

Hornpout

FNG
I second the inReach. My wife can tell exactly where I am and communicate with me when she needs to. It gives us both peace of mind. I can't imagine hunting without one now. Another thing that goes a long way is having good woodsmanship, navigation, and first aid skills. She knows I am not getting in over my head.

Hunterbug

FNG
My wife has a bunch of life insurance on me and doesn't seem to be the least bid concerned when I go. She keeps asking if I went far enough or found the deepest canyon around......

Wrench

WKR
I did 28 days straight this year. I could get service from a mtn top only. I sent messages via inreach and i would shoot a text when I could. She mostly just wants me to get September behind me so i am not a complete prick knowing there are elk needing harassment and me not being there to help.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
after 40 years of marriage, my wife doesn't worry much anymore when I'm in the backcountry

a evening inReach text doesn't hurt though :D