Wife worried

Just wondering if anyone else's wife's get worried about you getting lost or hurt? This is my first year elk hunting and I will most likely be solo. Been solo scouting so far except my 7 year daughter who went with me last time and wants to go on the actual hunt with me. And I must say she completely impressed me! She killed it we hiked prob at least 10 miles that day, I never added it up and and wanted to keep going. Anyways back to the question, I don't have anyone as of right now that can go with me until the 4th day of the hunt and on top of the wife being really worried I'm going to get lost, her grandma had a dream that I got lost on my hunt haha so should I be worried that it may be a sign or is it just natural for wives and others to worry? Haha and I'm not new to mountains either. I have 0 worries of getting lost

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Just wondering if anyone else's wife's get worried about you getting lost or hurt? This is my first year elk hunting and I will most likely be solo. Been solo scouting so far except my 7 year daughter who went with me last time and wants to go on the actual hunt with me. And I must say she completely impressed me! She killed it we hiked prob at least 10 miles that day, I never added it up and and wanted to keep going. Anyways back to the question, I don't have anyone as of right now that can go with me until the 4th day of the hunt and on top of the wife being really worried I'm going to get lost, her grandma had a dream that I got lost on my hunt haha so should I be worried that it may be a sign or is it just natural for wives and others to worry? Haha and I'm not new to mountains either. I have 0 worries of getting lost

Wife always worries, but never has asked me not to go. She also knows about the friend I lost on a solo hunt. He died from a lightning strike. This could have happened at work any day also. Get an inreach to stay connected.

OP
T
I've only been insured for a few months now so she may not get much out of me! On another note, a Garmin or any of those never even crossed my mind! Thank you that might put her at ease a little bit

I would recommend getting a Garmin inreach, it made my girl feel better.

The InReach was a game changer for us. Regular check-ins made all the difference. Plus, there used to be times when weather would kick up and it was more dangerous to be back "on time" to somewhere with a cell signal than to wait it out, and I used to take that risk so my wife wouldn't call the authorities to come looking for me. Now I can just message "everything is fine, delayed due to weather" or similar and it's safer all around. That's on top of all of the other benefits of having an InReach or other emergency beacon.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
InReach mini. Went through same with my wife until I bought one of these a few years ago, and now we both have peace. Very easy to use when paired to your phone.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly solo hunt and hike (although that might be changing, trying to wrangle a buddy into coming out for his first deer) as well. To ease my wife's concern, I make a habit of letting her know that CA or trail I'm on in advance. For CAs, especially walk-in areas I'll use my preseason visits to map out the areas I'll be in so that if I don't check in (usually when I arrive, once at noon if I'm staying out all day, and after dusk) there's a decent search area beyond "this particular 1800 acres". I also never go out without a bare minimum 48 hour emergency kit, so I can deal with wounds and get shelter overnight at the very least.

If my raise comes through this year I too have looked at the InReach as an option.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
And I’ve written her out a plan, including who I’m with, where I go, what my timeline is, and the numbers for the local SAR, Ranger and Sheriff. Seems to help too.

CoStick

WKR

We use a garmin mini to touch base. I take my 5 and 7 years old daughters as well. My wife is on a backcountry trip with her sister currently, so she doesn’t typically mind my trips either.

Pro953

WKR
They get used to it over time.

Let her know when you are going and a rough ETA of when you will be back. I would also tell her. If I am not home when I thought I was going to be home, don’t stress for another twelve hours or so, I might have something down at the end of the trip which is dragging things out.

Get a in-reach if you can but I try not to text my wife from it regularly as I don’t want her to freak out if I do not message her all day…

My #1 tip - Do not tell her about all the stupid stuff you do cloning up cliffs, if you are charged by a bear etc… As far as my wife knows every trip is just a casual walk in the woods with an occasional animal.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If your wife worries about you while hunting, she must be a train wreck every time you leave the house and drive on the roads. That's way more dangerous these days.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Same as everyone else. I got a garmin inreach. I'm not married but my parents still worry about me even in my late 30's. Once I got that thing, I told them I will check in at x-intervals . They still worry but I don't get the speech anymore when I head out. Plus I use it while im driving to my hunt and they can check my progress.
Its worth it. I can understand them worrying too. I'm not the most graceful of people .