Wife worried

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is very normal for loved ones to worry.. I know my wife does. I got the INREACH device and that helped in a big way. Whenever I go out of coverage on my own I set up a communication schedule with my wife and she really appreciate it. Keeps everyone happy which allows more time in field when it counts.

I worry! Bears and injuries are real. I send a screenshot of where I'm starting for the day to her and my hunting buddy who knows where I'll be. If I'm not home or checked in by a certain time they know where to start. In reach is even better. But yeah, she should worry. You're doing something that has a decent chance of injury and usually a lot of country to cover.

On the flip side, be prepared. Have warm stuff in your pack in case you get stuck overnight. Keep lights with you and other things that can draw attention to your location. I even have a couple of whistles and things I've told my wife and best hunting buddies about so they know what to look for and what to listen for, and a general idea of where I'm at.

TheGDog

WKR
Though the InReach will ease her worries... it should ease YOUR worries even more so. So you have that option of tapping out and calling in the cavalry. I've not needed to... yet. Soo far I've been able to drag my sorry ass back out each time. But always take Rx Pain meds with yourself... and for her... do an overhead sattelite screenshot and annotate it with your general game plan of where you intend to enter. Where you intend to have sits at, etc. And then just don't vary much from the game plan.

That overhead view with annotations and arrows and blurbs of text works well at her having a sense of control about the situation.

I like going solo because I can elect to be as serious or as slow-going as I care to. And also because I know things will be quiet if I'm solo. I can do the driving in in the middle of the night so I can blitz thru the fwys to. Also some people aren't comfortable yet with going in in the black of night. Also I can elect to change things up and try to call back in predators if they happen to cross my path when I'm out there solo. If I feel that things are slow and the other game isn't showing up.

snowburns

FNG
I just recently bought an inreach. Prior to that I always told my wife that if she didn't hear from me 12 hours after I'm due back then she needed call the state troopers. Now I'm taking my kids with me out into the woods and like the added safety of being able to text home, even if it's just to say I'll be home late.

wramos

FNG
Same story here. Went solo for years and she worried but survived. When I started taking the kids I bought an Inreach. Now I enjoy being able to text and keep her from worry.

jlh42581

WKR
Ive never used my ability to send unique messages. Mine are the generics "I'm ok, checking in, no cell service, don't bother to respond unless emergency"

That's good enough

Gila

WKR
Getting lost isn’t usually the problem going solo but being stranded or injured is. I use the Garmin in-reach mini and text from my phone with the Garmin Earthmate app. The wife gets a detailed map with coordinates with every text. I use OnX tracking tool quite often so I know exactly how to get to my hunting spot in the dark. And of course the route to get back.

A couple of years ago, I was scouting a water tank for elk, slipped and fell on the rocks. I didn’t have my pack on because I was only about 400 yards from my truck. As it turned out, I only got a raspberry on one knee and skinned up my hands from breaking the fall. No worse for wear, but could have been worse. I left my walking stick, pack with in-reach, and gloves in the truck because I was just going up for a short, quick look.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
1. Inreach so she knows I could communicate if I was in trouble.
2. She knows I have OnX Maps so getting lost is unlikely.
3. Clear instructions for her on where I'm going. I also always let another family member or hunting buddy know.
4. She knows how much time I spend reading about backcountry safety, bushcrafting, etc. that I'm reasonably prepared for what could go wrong.
5. Lots of reassurance before I leave that I'll be careful, won't take crazy risks, etc.

Zoleo is another option.
Another vote for the Zoleo

I used one this year and the unlimited check ins was nice. She could "follow along" with the hunt and she could see where i was at. With out it i think she would have been a nervous wreck. Also good cheap peace of mind if gawd forbid you step wrong or something happens. it's nice to know you can get assistance. Also i think if you use the promo code Snider you get the 25 dollar initiation fee waived.

tater

WKR
InReach Mini is great. But its also a good idea to break down the "what ifs" and demonstrate to your loved ones that you have the skills and equipment to look after yourself.

Show them your map and compass and that you know how to use it. Show them your first aid kit and fire kit. Explain how you can bivy out with minimal kit and be safe and dry. Do a whole "if this happens then this is what i will do" drill.

Its fear of the unknown that makes people anxious. If folks know you can handle 99% of what may come up, they can feel a little better when they realize the 1% is less likely.

When i leave for every trip the only thing i tell my wife is if something happens to me to not to sell my stuff for what i told her i paid for it...

Last edited:
OP
T
Love all these responses!!! Lots of good ones and lots of good information and pointers too!!! Thank you for all the input. Now to find my procrastinating ass an inreach or comparable before Wednesday. Not looking good so far!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

erle1139

FNG
Another vote for Zoleo, works off the same network as Garmin Inreach for a lot less money. I got one for the upcoming 1st rifle season, and tested it out on an offshore fishing trip this past weekend. 80 miles offshore with no cell service and it worked great. Messages between my wife and I were sent and responded back to within a minute.

rclouse79

WKR
Make sure you have an in reach and more importantly a good life insurance policy.

Jethro

WKR
At least with the inreach when you text your wife and say I’m ok but lost, she can reply back with “I told you so”.

Reactions: JP7