Wife's Elk Arrow Trajectory

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
From testing I did when we bought her Bandit, it was shooting a 435 grain arrow at 210 fps, giving a KE of 42.6 at 45.5# draw and 25". She might be a little over that now with a 25.5" draw and a more efficient bow that maxes out at 50 pounds, rather than 60 pounds like the test bow.

That should propel a 525 grain arrow about 190 fps. So it sounds like we will be able to make some hay with her setup.

I'm still looking for some defining variable to determine a maximum range. I wish there was something to say if she shoots a 525 grain arrow at 190 fps, the arrow is lethal to 40 yards. If you do 500 at 200 fps, its lethal to 45 yards.... or something of that nature.

I don't want her to take stupid long shots, but at the same time elk country is big country. Crawling up their nose isn't easy. Just wish there was a way to quantify things. Obviously it all is governed by her ability to put the arrow where it belongs. I just like knowing the limits of the system in a perfect world.

j13jones

FNG
From testing I did when we bought her Bandit, it was shooting a 435 grain arrow at 210 fps, giving a KE of 42.6 at 45.5# draw and 25". She might be a little over that now with a 25.5" draw and a more efficient bow that maxes out at 50 pounds, rather than 60 pounds like the test bow.

That should propel a 525 grain arrow about 190 fps. So it sounds like we will be able to make some hay with her setup.

I'm still looking for some defining variable to determine a maximum range. I wish there was something to say if she shoots a 525 grain arrow at 190 fps, the arrow is lethal to 40 yards. If you do 500 at 200 fps, its lethal to 45 yards.... or something of that nature.

I don't want her to take stupid long shots, but at the same time elk country is big country. Crawling up their nose isn't easy. Just wish there was a way to quantify things. Obviously it all is governed by her ability to put the arrow where it belongs. I just like knowing the limits of the system in a perfect world.

My wife will be hunting elk next year, I believe we are gonna set her up with an arrow weight of about 425 grains. Her set up now is a Mathews avail shooting 45lbs at 240 FPS with a 370 grain arrow. She shoots the 425 grain arrow at 227. That calculates the KI to about 48lbs and the momentum to be about .428. She's killed 3 deer with a 370 arrows, we've noticed that broadhead selection matters most on a low poundage bow. So for her elk set up we're gonna set her up with a good cut on contact 2 blade with bleeders and keep shots under 50. We'll probably also have straight 2 blades in her quiver as well Incase she needed a follow up shot that is past 50. More than likely she'll be shooting the kudu contour plus P and the regular kudu bc she's had good luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I'm still looking for some defining variable to determine a maximum range.

The defining factors are; perfect arrow flight and an efficient BH.

With those 2 factors, and arrow thats 400 gr minimum with a 2 blade BH will hit plenty hard enough at 40,50 yds. A heavier arrow will of course carry more momentum....

I think you are beating yourself up over this.....just pick a weight that flies well and get her shooting.

_______

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So we talked to John Dudley at TAC and he told us to use a 600 spine Easton Axis with an aluminum insert and muzzy trocar. 😐

He said that a gal he is close with (maybe his wife?? - I forget the name) shot a kudu with that setup and a 40 pound draw.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Pretty sure the name was Sharon - which would be his wife.

sndmn11

WKR
What trad bow is putting a 550 @ 190 with 28" draw and 55#? I'm not saying bows aren't out there that will do it but I don't feel like that is the norm. Maybe someone will correct me.

Pretty much any recurve or long bow according to that calculator. It's just physics and math.

Pretty much any recurve or long bow according to that calculator. It's just physics and math.

I'm having trouble getting that to be accurate with my setups. Tried several of them. Guess I'm entering something incorrectly. However it's way off on what my arrow should even weigh after selecting the shaft and all the other inputs that I know are correct.

Point being I think it's more accurate to assume 165-170 with a trad bow @ 55# and 550 grain with 28" draw.

Again maybe a few others can chime in and say I'm incorrect.

sndmn11

WKR
I'm having trouble getting that to be accurate with my setups. Tried several of them. Guess I'm entering something incorrectly. However it's way off on what my arrow should even weigh after selecting the shaft and all the other inputs that I know are correct.

Not sure what to tell you. It's just physics and math, nothing mystical about it. Energy in converts to energy out and like styles have nearly identical efficiency.

Reminds me of the guy with a 28" draw who has to shoot a full length 500 spine arrow on his 60lb bow "because the charts are all wrong". Then you see him hit full draw with a foot of shaft hanging past the front of the shelf and realize why the charts will never be right for his "28in draw length".

Not sure what to tell you. It's just physics and math, nothing mystical about it. Energy in converts to energy out and like styles have nearly identical efficiency.

Reminds me of the guy with a 28" draw who has to shoot a full length 500 spine arrow on his 60lb bow "because the charts are all wrong". Then you see him hit full draw with a foot of shaft hanging past the front of the shelf and realize why the charts will never be right for his "28in draw length".

Right. So I guess I don't know how to measure my draw.

sndmn11

WKR
Right. So I guess I don't know how to measure my draw.

Stranger things have happened. That calculator has a lot of variables on the bow side and the arrow side....String, plate, people forget to account for their silencers, etc. You can't get good output with bad input.

If you have a pile of back issues of Traditional Bowhunter, you will find the bow tests line out in agreement with the calculator. I believe they were the start to the baseline Stu used in creating the calculator.