WIFI BOOSTERS

WCB

WKR
We have hunting property/cabin out of state and my WIFI hotspot works but is slow/inconsistent. Since I can work from "home" it opens me up to be able to spend more time out there hunting/fishing/scouting mornings and evenings and working during the day and not have to waste PTO.

Looking for recommendations on inexpensive/affordable WIFI boosters. For emails etc it is fine as I can deal with refreshing pages and waiting but if I get on a call and have to fill out information in our data systems it gets sketchy. I see some for a couple hundred bucks....then some starting at $20. Any info would be appreciated.

Apollo117

WKR
WiFi Booster is a bit of a misnomer. WiFi Repeater is a more accurate name for the devices you are describing. A WiFi Repeater doesn't increase performance, it just increases the range of the wireless network.

Can you tell me a bit more about your situation? Do you have a weak WiFi signal on your devices?

Squirrels

WKR
I'm in for respones. @Apollo117 I need something to extend my WiFi signal on the back deck. Signal in the house is good, what can I put in my kitchen (room in house next to deck) in order to get a signal on the back deck?

Apollo117

WKR
I'm in for respones. @Apollo117 I need something to extend my WiFi signal on the back deck. Signal in the house is good, what can I put in my kitchen (room in house next to deck) in order to get a signal on the back deck?
The Netgear EX3700 is a great low cost option. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CL5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WofkFb395HHTK). I've installed it in several houses including my parent's house. The set up is straight forward and only takes 5-10 minutes.

If you're looking to spend some more and replace your existing router, then the Google Nest Router can't be beaten for performance and easy of setup. I have a Nest router in my house. The Nest is a true Mesh WiFi router, not a WiFi Repeater. If I ever needed additional coverage, I would buy another access point and extend my WiFi range. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMKD6SM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MyfkFbR8YJRGC

Here's an article explaining the difference between Mesh WiFi and WiFi Repeaters. https://www.cnet.com/news/mesh-rou...der-which-one-is-best-for-your-home-network/

OP
W

WCB

WKR
WiFi Booster is a bit of a misnomer. WiFi Repeater is a more accurate name for the devices you are describing. A WiFi Repeater doesn't increase performance, it just increases the range of the wireless network.

Can you tell me a bit more about your situation? Do you have a weak WiFi signal on your devices?

I probably worded it wrong. I am using a personal hotspot for Wifi off my iphone (no router) I get good cell signal but the wifi from the hotspot is questionable.

Apollo117

WKR
I probably worded it wrong. I am using a personal hotspot for Wifi off my iphone (no router) I get good cell signal but the wifi from the hotspot is questionable.
I understand you now. Thank you for explaining.

Phones in general have pretty weak antennas for broadcasting a hotspot. That's probably the issue you are experiencing.

The Netgear EX3700 that I linked to in a previous post would repeat the WiFi network from your hotspot to cover a larger area. This would be a cheap and good option.

Alternatively, you could contact your cellular provider and ask what the cost would be to add an independent hotspot to your plan. If the cost is agreeable, they will send you a data only SIM card and you can install it in something like a MiFi or a Jetpack. Either device would have a better signal than your phone. If you want to get really fancy, a CradlePoint mobile router with a high gain antenna would have a huge coverage area.

OP
W

WCB

WKR
I understand you now. Thank you for explaining.

Phones in general have pretty weak antennas for broadcasting a hotspot. That's probably the issue you are experiencing.

The Netgear EX3700 that I linked to in a previous post would repeat the WiFi network from your hotspot to cover a larger area. This would be a cheap and good option.

Alternatively, you could contact your cellular provider and ask what the cost would be to add an independent hot spot to your plan. If the cost is agreeable, they will send you a data only SIM card and you can install it in something like a MiFi or a Jetpack. Either device would have a better signal than your phone. If you want to get really fancy, a CradlePoint mobile router with a high gain antenna would have a huge coverage area.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I just need something that helps reliability so if I am on the phone I can still use the internet based system I use for work without it losing signal and everything I was doing. Being slow isn't a huge deal.

Since it is convenience option and a work phone I'm not going to push it right now trying to get cost added to the plan as when I am actually at home I can work 100% fine.

Apollo117

WKR
Thanks for the response. Yeah I just need something that helps reliability so if I am on the phone I can still use the internet based system I use for work without it losing signal and everything I was doing. Being slow isn't a huge deal.

Since it is convenience option and a work phone I'm not going to push it right now trying to get cost added to the plan as when I am actually at home I can work 100% fine.
The Netgear EX3700 is what you need IMO. It won't make the hotspot on your phone any faster, but it'll be more reliable and it'll cover a large area.

If you have the budget, the Netgear Orbi is pretty incredible. We had range and congestion issues and it resolved both.

I use the securifi almond extender and it’s been pretty good, I’m able to get WiFi from my house to the detached garage

Cody_W

WKR

In my opinion the Ubiquity AMPLIFI HD or Instant is the way to go when it comes to mesh routers. As a network engineer I have tried the lot of them and have beenEXTREMELY pleased with the AMPLIFI line. I’ve setup ~30 of them in houses and areas as big a 12,000sqft through multiple 12’ wide stone walls with full coverage running full speed tests to the furthest point with low latency. The largest setup required 2 additional mesh points though. The AMPLIFI HD can be bought with 2 mesh points for ~$375 and the Instant is ~175 with one mesh point.
Amazon or Bestbuy is where I have found the best prices.

Cody_W

WKR
We have hunting property/cabin out of state and my WIFI hotspot works but is slow/inconsistent. Since I can work from "home" it opens me up to be able to spend more time out there hunting/fishing/scouting mornings and evenings and working during the day and not have to waste PTO.

Looking for recommendations on inexpensive/affordable WIFI boosters. For emails etc it is fine as I can deal with refreshing pages and waiting but if I get on a call and have to fill out information in our data systems it gets sketchy. I see some for a couple hundred bucks....then some starting at $20. Any info would be appreciated.

If you use AT&T this little guy is really solid to add to your existing wireless plan for a better hotspot.

Apollo117

WKR
In my opinion the Ubiquity AMPLIFI HD or Instant is the way to go when it comes to mesh routers. As a network engineer I have tried the lot of them and have beenEXTREMELY pleased with the AMPLIFI line. I’ve setup ~30 of them in houses and areas as big a 12,000sqft through multiple 12’ wide stone walls with full coverage running full speed tests to the furthest point with low latency. The largest setup required 2 additional mesh points though. The AMPLIFI HD can be bought with 2 mesh points for ~$375 and the Instant is ~175 with one mesh point.
Amazon or Bestbuy is where I have found the best prices.
I agree. I've used the AmpliFi once before and I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti commercial products. I don't like recommending it as a residential solution to folks without knowing their technical background because I don't find it to be as intuitive and easy to set up as Google Nest. For folks with networking knowledge the Ubiquiti products are great and allow for a bunch of control and configuration. I almost went with AmpliFi in my house, but at 1500 sqft it's overkill.

I also don't find a lot of residential customers who want to spend $375 on a mesh router and APs. In my experience there's a gap between people who want to spend $60 on home network equipment and people who want to spend $600. I have found that people with large enough property to need a mesh network generally skip the AmpliFi products and go with the Unifi products.

fwafwow

WKR
I just went through something like this when I was out of town and trying to rely on my phone as the cell hotspot. Worked great - until I hit my data limit. (I use Verizon, and even though I have unlimited data, when you use a phone for a hotspot, you are "throttled" on speed when you hit a daily limit, which is easy to do if you are streaming anything, or participating in video conference calls.)

Check out Nomad Internet. They work with all 4 carriers and provide you with a hotspot device (which depends on which carrier you use with them, which depends on where you will use their service). You pay for the device and then are charged a monthly fee for internet usage - without a cap on amount or throttle limit. It isn't cheap though, as it is intended for locations where there is no other option (such as cable or satellite). Even though I normally use Verizon, I was using their "Blue Plan" in Charleston and used the Netgear Nighthawk. Speeds were very good, and CS is awesome.

As for the other options - extender, booster, etc. - I *think* that they are dependent on your weakest link. So if your phone is problematic, then I doubt that another piece of equipment that is boosting your phone signal won't solve it. That said, I've just installed the Orbi 6 mesh system *in my house*, and depending on where I am in the house, my speeds can be close to my wired ethernet speeds, but it still varies. (I'm in my basement now, close to an Orbi satellite, and I'm getting 300/40 and my ethernet speeds upstairs approach 900/50.)

Cody_W

WKR
I agree. I've used the AmpliFi once before and I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti commercial products. I don't like recommending it as a residential solution to folks without knowing their technical background because I don't find it to be as intuitive and easy to set up as Google Nest. For folks with networking knowledge the Ubiquiti products are great and allow for a bunch of control and configuration. I almost went with AmpliFi in my house, but at 1500 sqft it's overkill.

I also don't find a lot of residential customers who want to spend $375 on a mesh router and APs. In my experience there's a gap between people who want to spend $60 on home network equipment and people who want to spend $600. I have found that people with large enough property to need a mesh network generally skip the AmpliFi products and go with the Unifi products.

You can’t really beat the UniFi products, but The building code where I’m at requires fire blocks making a retrofit next to impossible, so unlessthe house is presided for theUniFi they’re kind of out of the question.

At $160 you cant really beat the Amplifi Instant. Good for 4,000 sqft and takes 3 minutes to set up for anyone. I’ve not been a big fan of the google mesh systems the couple of times I’ve worked with them. To each their own though.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I think this guy is looking for a cell phone booster not a wifi booster. Sounds like his hotspot device isn't pulling enough cell signal and data connection is slow/weak. He shouldn't have an issue with wifi as he should be able to put that hotspot right next to the computer, since the hotspot is on his phone.

If thats the case and data speeds are to slow you can buy a cell phone booster. Weboost probably make the best product, although there our cheaper ones out there. Weboost around $400. I use a $150 booster I bought off Amazon, with an antenna I put on the roof. You buy the version the correlates with your cell provider. I have t-mobile I bought a gsm model. Verizon you would need a CDMA version.

Reactions: WCB
I think this guy is looking for a cell phone booster not a wifi booster. Sounds like his hotspot device isn't pulling enough cell signal and data connection is slow/weak. He shouldn't have an issue with wifi as he should be able to put that hotspot right next to the computer, since the hotspot is on his phone.

If thats the case and data speeds are to slow you can buy a cell phone booster. Weboost probably make the best product, although there our cheaper ones out there. Weboost around $400. I use a $150 booster I bought off Amazon, with an antenna I put on the roof. You buy the version the correlates with your cell provider. I have t-mobile I bought a gsm model. Verizon you would need a CDMA version.
Yes, I have a remote cabin with a weak cell signal. we installed a WeBoost unit with receiver on an antennae mast on roof and signal box inside cabin. Works great!

CaptainA

FNG
The guys from Cisco are making good WIFI equipment, highly recommend. I had problems with router, and from here poor connection. Recenttly, I have sign in for courses, with this pandemy it's a must to change your profession. Worked as a cook for ten years. The restaurant is closed, but I' still good at MAth, I'm still teachable. The hardest part will be, the exam. A friend of mine recommended a website where I can find the questions. Is it real? I'm taking about this one spotoclub.com

Last edited: