WIFI freezer alarms?

AGPank

WKR
I just did this. When I moved to my new house my garage freezer turned off when the painter pressure washed the house. Lost some food. I then put a smart outlet on the plug. This will send a notification on loss of power.

Before thanksgiving I loaded the freezer on Sunday and didn’t close the door completely. Luckily my wife found it the next day without losing anything.

I then bought a set of remote temperature sensors and a hub. It was like $80 off Amazon. This will send a notification if temperature is out of range.

I’ll look for the information. I use Alexa compatible devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I do a couple things to make sure I don’t lose my freezers. First I replaced the gfi outlets with normal outlets. Second I set an alarm on my phone. It’s a reoccurring alarm for every other day at 8pm. I’ll go down and just open them to check. I’ve had 2 scares. 1 the cord got pulled out and the 2nd was a gfi issue. Luckily I caught both before I lost any meat.

AGPank

WKR
I looked into removing the freezer, but I have one circuit for garage and a couple exterior outlets that require gfci.

Here is what I used. I do have a mesh WiFi at my house. The setup was easy. I did have 2 of the 3 sensors quit responding. The company is replacing them. I will note they say the range is -4F to 140F. So maybe alternate products could be used.

MOCREO Indoor Thermometer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MFN12F3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had a good experience with this so far:

Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Remote Monitoring Controlling Home Brewing Fermentation Breeding Incubation Greenhouse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVBG8K1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_vf9wEt75UXHiR

How thick is that cord? Even a thin one on my previously wired one weeps in moisture and frost build up. I'm not inclined to drill through the freezer but realize it is an option, though snaking a probe up through the drain hole is a possibility.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
GFI issue or not that's not the only thing that will cause problems, freezer door left ajar, freezer dying, etc. SO with all that in mind for conservation purposes I'm interested in wifi alarms (no good in power outage but covers the rest).

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I looked into removing the freezer, but I have one circuit for garage and a couple exterior outlets that require gfci.

Here is what I used. I do have a mesh WiFi at my house. The setup was easy. I did have 2 of the 3 sensors quit responding. The company is replacing them. I will note they say the range is -4F to 140F. So maybe alternate products could be used.

MOCREO Indoor Thermometer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MFN12F3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

How cold do you run your freezer? Mine are on max and tend to hover -20F to -10F, what do those sensors do when below -4F?

AGPank

WKR
Mine is somewhere between -2 and -10. I didn’t realize the temperature limits when I bought it. Lower temp would void the warranty of the sensor.

Maybe other options. I’m not sure how cold a freezer really needs to be.

Beckjhong

WKR
How thick is that cord? Even a thin one on my previously wired one weeps in moisture and frost build up. I'm not inclined to drill through the freezer but realize it is an option, though snaking a probe up through the drain hole is a possibility.
The cord to the temp probe is 0.122”. I ran it through the hole for the ice maker wiring.

H80Hunter

WKR
I have a wireless (but not Wifi) one that I like off amazon. It claims a 300 foot range but with walls and stuff I doubt it would hit that, but I know for sure it will cover an entire house/garage setup through walls. I have two freezers, and it comes with two sensors. One sensor in each freezer and then a central display that I keep in a convenient place. It also has the ability to alarm if the temp exceeds your set limit. It's a great setup unless you need to monitor a freezer remotely.

I have a Temp Stick and so far, it rocks. WiFi, easy to set up, no subscription or fees for using the app, you can create email and text alerts, look at performance trends. I dig it.

Interesting idea. I guess one thought might be that if you lose power to the house, you will lose WiFi. how do you navigate that challenge.

Interesting idea. I guess one thought might be that if you lose power to the house, you will lose WiFi. how do you navigate that challenge.
If you lose power, it won't continue to monitor temp, but it does send a text and email to me anytime connection is lost (whether it be due to power outage or temporary wifi outage from my service provider). Temp monitoring during a power outage would be nice to have, but honestly, it wouldn't change my approach much. My approach during a power outage is to not open my freezer unless absolutely necessary, and then try to get get my food into coolers of ice (if available) if it's longer than 48 hours. If no ice is available, don't open my freezer and pray for the best. However, I am currently shopping whole home generators, so that will be my firewall for a power outage.

I have a 15 cubic foot freezer and a 10 cubic foot freezer.
I use one, depending on how much meat we have and keep it at 100 percent capacity.
If the power goes out, I don't open the freezer and for at least 48 hours everything stays frozen.
We have a generator, but that doe not help if we are gone for a couple days.

AGPank

WKR
d6b214ebed45a94cf90f412f8194b15b.jpg

My set up helped me this weekend. GFCI tripped. I got an alert about power loss. Data log shows temperature never rose above freezing.

I had two sensor quit reporting. They replaced them. Then when activated the new ones, they old ones reactivated.

So far it’s working.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I use the B-Hyve sensors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J2C7T62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have them set up in my cabin. They read both temp and water. The same company makes a great wifi sprinkler timer which I use at the cabin and at my primary residence. They all go to the same app, where you can control the devices. The water/temp sensors can be set with a high/low temp alarm and will send a push notification to your phone if the temps get out of range. Works pretty well...