Wild Game Chili Recipes

270quest

WKR
Whats some good non spicey Wild Game Chili recipes? We have a chili cook off at my office for Thanksgiving next week and want to bring something to enter. I have antelope, moose, elk, beef, and venison all in the freezer available to use.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
My family has adopted this recipe. Turkey Chili with White Beans except we use elk and/or mt goat. My wife is from Hawaii, so we have it over rice. It's great without. I add crushed Juanitas chips to make it frito pie esque. We use ground meat, so not sure how chunks would be if that is what you were thinking. It's super easy to make. Not sure you'd win, but it's respectable.

My easy chili recipe is 1 lb ground meat + one 16 oz can of Bush's chili beans + one 10 oz can of Rotel chili fixings + one 10 oz can of Rotel diced tomatoes. I use spicy versions of the canned ingredients if I want it hot, mild versions if not.

Dented

WKR
I use Hank Shaws chili recipe. Lots of different peppers, you don't have to use the spicy ones. Make certain you really chop them fine. Stellar recipe, his stuff usually is.

SloppyJ

WKR
I will have to try Hank Shaw's but I normally go for this one. I enjoy the different types of peppers and the smokiness that the chipotles add.

smithjd

FNG
I like to use multiples; venison, beef, and pork. Some ground, some cubed. Red, white, and green onions. Jalepeno (gutted to reduce heat), red, and yellow peppers. etc. I may not make it the same way twice.

Sometimes if I have the time, I’ll sear the roast and pit it on the smoker grill to give it another flavor profile before I cube it up. I had a smoked brisket chili once that was incredible.

In addition to lots of garlic and dark chili powder, I’ll add a lot of cumin. When it’s done cooking I’ll fresh lime juice and cilantro to give it a fresh flavor.

SloppyJ

WKR
If you use a roast, mix up everything but the roast and put it on the smoker underneath your meat and let the drippings fall into the chili. Forgot about that one!

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Hank Shaw's recipe! The coffee really adds a great depth of flavor. I like to use ground and 1/2"ish cubed meat to get a variety of textures.

How hot is this on a 1 to 10 scale if you use it as Mr. Blake recommends.
Not hot in my opinion. If I’m making for the family who can’t eat spicy stuff I use half a package with three pounds of meat (we like leftovers). If I want more depth of flavor I’ll use the whole packet. Either way there isn’t enough heat for my wife to refuse to eat it because she can’t handle anything remotely spicy.

Scogin

FNG
I will have to try Hank Shaw's but I normally go for this one. I enjoy the different types of peppers and the smokiness that the chipotles add.

I agree. I use the Meat Eater recipe with elk. Love it.

Brown stew meat with onion and a bit of Montreal steak seasoning, into a slow cooker over night with a #9 can of mild red enchilada sauce and a can of beer- add more liquid if needed (this make some great taco meat as well) in the morning add tomatoes and beans. Let cook a couple more hours.

Stumpy208

FNG
This recipe got me 2nd place at my work chili contest. If everyone would have actually tried it I probably would have won but some people couldn't get passed it having squirrel in it 🤣 and I had to make a warning sign.

20231019_082043.jpg

You can substitute the squirrel for venison and it makes a really good chili as well.

4 pine squirrels
1 quart beef broth
2 chili seasoning packets
1 onion
1 jalapeno (scrape out seeds if you don't want any chance of it having any spicyness)
1 bell pepper
3 little cans of Hatch roasted green chilis
1 small can of tomato paste
1 can of diced chipotle tomatoes
4 cans of beans (Your choice)
1/4 ish cup brown sugar
Chipotle Powder (whatever looks a good amount)
Smoked Paprika (whatever looks a good amount)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder (whatever looks a good amount)

Slow cook the squirrels in the beef broth, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, green chilis, seasoning packets, and seasonings over night.
Drain the stock into another container so you can pick out the bones from the squirrel.
Once the bones are picked out put everything back into the slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Season more to taste and if you want it to be a little thicker add some instant mashed potato powder or a little bit more tomato paste.

Axlrod

WKR
Which ever recipe you use, add some chopped bacon. I do about 1/2 lb per 1lb of berger. When people ask me how I make my chilli, I tell them, "if you aren't using bacon, you are doing it wrong".;)

Whats some good non spicey Wild Game Chili recipes? We have a chili cook off at my office for Thanksgiving next week and want to bring something to enter. I have antelope, moose, elk, beef, and venison all in the freezer available to use.
Just had a Fire Dept chili cook off down here in Florida. Had venison and gator in it. Won 3rd place. Cant go wrong! Keep it simple and "Season it how you like".