Wild hog Bullet ?

K-Hill

FNG
Looking into a hog hunt for this fall . From everything I have seen the range at which they are shot screams muzzleloader. The question I have is what bullet will hold together and have good peneration ?

Felix40

WKR
Ive killed half a dozen with hornady sst sabots. All inside 100 yds. None of them went anywhere. I would probably use the same thing again considering how well they shot in my gun and how easy they are to find.

How big are the largest boars you could expect to shoot? I’ve seen first hand some incredibly thick and dense shields on mature boars. Some of the cheaper muzzleloader bullets I’ve shot into deer did not hold together and exit...I don’t think they would have done well on a big boar. Personally I would be looking into the Barnes or similar if mature boars were on the table. Sows and smaller boars I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

If you are in a tree stand great...muzzleloader is fine...If you are the ground have a pistol as backup. I''m in texas and you can knock them down with a muzzleloader but when the remaining 9 in the group come plowing into your ground blind it turns into a rodeo. I had shot a turkey from a brush blind a few years ago pulled it in and was gutting it tossing the guts out the back...20 minutes later a group of sows & piglets came in and starting going after the guts. Got a benelli so slid out the turkey round and loaded a slug in barrel and remaining slug in tube. Got the lead sow and a 90 lb with slugs but the rest took off running in all directions. Ended up knocking down 4 more with pistol. Absolute rodeo.

From a capacity for soaking up damage perspective...I've seen them take 3.5" 000 buck and charge, 308's in the boiler room flop over and then get back up and take a run at you. It just depends on how pissed off they are. I've had plenty I've dropped with 300 blackout, 7mm-08, 308, muzzle loader, 9mm, 10mm etc. It is really variable even with good shot placement. About 1 in 20 tries to take a run at me.

From a capacity for soaking up damage perspective...I've seen them take 3.5" 000 buck and charge, 308's in the boiler room flop over and then get back up and take a run at you. It just depends on how pissed off they are. I've had plenty I've dropped with 300 blackout, 7mm-08, 308, muzzle loader, 9mm, 10mm etc. It is really variable even with good shot placement. About 1 in 20 tries to take a run at me.
+1 on everything Packin said. I've also had a hog take a 308 to the vitals and pop up like a carnival target. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

It's typically fairly easy to stalk within 50 yards for hogs. Just stay downwind and move slow - they aren't renowned for their sight or hearing but their nose is unbeatable. I typically make my first shot a head shot so accuracy is your friend. The shoulder sheath on a mature boar is almost bullet proof so aim accordingly and take a quartering away if possible.

FYI - a hog will typically (but not always) chomp its teeth a couple times at you before it charges so be aware while blood trailing through the thick stuff. Cause he's gonna run you into the thickest crap in a three mile radius.

Shoot em in the ear hole...bullet type matters way less and you dont have to track em...I have dropped them at 50 yds with a well placed 22 mag round.

Felix40

WKR
There’s some misinformation above. They are just made out of flesh and bone. With good shot placement from a firearm it’s unlikely to have to track one much at all.

Looking into a hog hunt for this fall . From everything I have seen the range at which they are shot screams muzzleloader. The question I have is what bullet will hold together and have good penetration ?

I would highly suggest this bullet for your up coming hog hunt or actually any big game hunt.

Misc-Pics.jpg

2013-Damage.jpg

It is a Lehigh Defense .452x265gr. CF. These bullets do not use the conventional expanding theory. The petals of the nose of the bullet, when it contacts a fluid atmosphere - like in the chest cavity, will open to about 40* then the petal will break off and move out into the organs of the chest cavity puncturing them. The base of the bullet then continues to create hydrostatic damage and will in most cases pass all the way through the animal.

Here is a link

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=136

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
.308 with 150gr fusion. High shoulder shot at 65yards. Dropped in his tracks. Never moved.. 366lbs live weightScreenshot_20200618-154220.jpg

Have had good luck with my 58 roundballs on black bear. Never not clear thru. That being said I have not shot a pig yet