Wild Hogs

FLS

WKR
Used to have a lot of them on my lease here in SC. Trapped and dogged them hard for a few years and now it’s rare to see them. They’re fun to hunt after deer seasons over. Rest of the time they’re a PIA. Young pigs are pretty easy to kill, their bellies will do them in.

Last edited:

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
We're covered up in hogs on our lease as well. We shoot them when we can. They're harder to kill than deer. They seem to know when we're there and when we're not. See them on cameras all the time when we're not there. Don't see them when we're there. But even if we do see them, sometimes we don't shoot because we're hunting deer. And we're also covered up in free range axis, along with decent numbers of sika, and occasional fallow and blackbuck. So all year long we're hunting axis. Don't want to spook them by shooting hogs when time to be there to hunt deer is precious. But would LOVE to be rid of more hogs. It's a catch 22.

We're not comfortable turning other people loose to shoot pigs when we're not there. It would be nice to make a little money on pigs, but then we'd need to be there guiding and/or babysitting rather than hunting, and that takes up precious time. Besides, as mentioned above, shooting a few here and there does little to thin the numbers. Trapping is the only way to put a real dent in them. Our lease is 2.5 hours from home though, so tending to traps isn't feasible.

Hogs suck.

BigPig069

FNG
You would be surprised how many people will pay to shoot a wild hog, we may take them for granted living here where they are overly abundant, I have work for a few outfits here in South Texas that have had hunters from all over the country to just shoot hog. The meat is not bad as it is a lot leaner than store bought pork and for eating them you want to eat the sows up to 100-150#. I can go out to my property at any given evening and see those damn things!

jwhjwh54

FNG
We are covered up down here in Al. We did a good job last year trapping and saw a small change but they figured out the traps and are all over the place again

jwhjwh54

FNG
shot a hog with my bow and it ran off with my arrow and my brother did the same. I think I'm going to stick to bullets for the hogs down here

9420-E4-BB-35-AD-4-E4-E-97-E0-8-B7-E8-FF9-CB6-C.jpg

LostArra

WKR
shot a hog with my bow and it ran off with my arrow and my brother did the same. I think I'm going to stick to bullets for the hogs down here

9420-E4-BB-35-AD-4-E4-E-97-E0-8-B7-E8-FF9-CB6-C.jpg

Hog killing with a bow around here is simply an opportunity while deer hunting and I agree 100%. You can count on a lost or broken arrow. Same with armadillos. We actually take one "hog arrow" in the quiver when deer hunting.